"We were offered to be a site holder"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

G

Graham

Guest Shopper
Tony Diniz is now saying that Rocks & Co were asked to be a site holder of Tanzanite One.

He said he refused as site holders have to buy bad stones as well as good,

The Jewellery Channel are site holders and IN MY OPINION sell the very best Tanzanite and at far better prices than Rocks & Co.

Not that one again! I heard Stacey waffling on about that one day. She said they were offered a few years ago before they were even in existence!! More lies from Rocks & Co! Tanzanite One have handpicked the companies who are sight holders and all are very large multinationals not a Mickey Mouse outfit like Rocks!

Apart from anything else, I'd be very surprised if they could financially afford to be sight holders because you have to buy so many millions of dollars worth a year! At the rate they're going I can't seeing them being around much after Christmas!

Read this from Tanzanite One's website and then tell me you believe Rocks & Co were asked to be Sightholders!!

Sightholders

The Preferred Supply Strategy, which is a world first in the coloured gemstone industry, aims to grow the global market for tanzanite through strategic collaborative relationships with exclusive customers, ‘Sightholders', selected from the world's leading gemstone houses and jewellery manufacturers.

Sightholders have been chosen for their focus on tanzanite, ability to make a long-term commitment, distribution capabilities, understanding of the need for vertical integration and most importantly their operational standards of integrity. Their belief in and commitment to supporting an ethical route to market and growth of the market as a whole has also been a prerequisite for their appointment.

TanzaniteOne has initially appointed eight Sightholders, with plans to increase this number in the medium term. These initial eights are listed below:

AG Color Inc
Colorjewels
Intercolor
Paul Wild
KL Tambi
Rare Multicolor Gems
STS Jewels Inc. - TJC Owners
Tanzanite International

Hi all

I heard the same comments over and over! It seems to be the new "mantra” One thing that me smile; presenters are saying is that they have a man at the mine buying up the best Tanzanite for R&C. Unlike site holders, they can choose the best.....
TJC ability to offer good quality Tanzanite set in platinum covered sliver below £20 that is better quality than most of R&C 9ct gold offering puts a lot of pressure on R&C
My opinion is that R&C jewellery is poor; their Gold weight is so light that I wonder how the gems stones stay in the setting; their diamonds accents are so small you would probably need a magnifying glass to see them. The quality of the Tanzanite is so so across all their ranges. Pricing is .........I wouldn’t buy!
When it comes to sapphires, this is what I thought R&C was trying to differentiate their offering from other jewellery channels. TJC are now offering Certified Sapphires? Can R&C compete with natural untreated Ceylon Blue and Pink sapphires with an IGI certificate sold at very reasonable prices!
I think not!
Sapphireblue

Sorry to contradict, but I think this is probably true. Years ago when Steve Bennett and Don Kogon were working as Gemstv and Don Kogon owned Thai Gems, they were telling us that they had been asked to become sightholders and that they had refused because they didn't want to buy the job lots. At that time Tony Diniz worked for Don supplying the gemstones. Only the other day when Don was on, he mentioned it again, so I think this is what Tony is talking about.
On the other hand, TJC has by far the most beautiful tanzanite and they are sightholders and presumably having to buy the not so good with the great. What do they do? Simple, they supply loads of other companies (QVC, Ideal World?!) with tanzanite jewellery and keep the best for themselves and sell it to us at fabulous prices.
Rocks&Co have had some lovely tanzanite recently, but their prices are prohibitive and their gold weights pathetic, they have priced themselves way out of my league. However, I don't think we should underestimate Tony Diniz's connections with mine owners and gem traders purely due to his former close association with Thai Gems, which was/is a big player in the gem world.
What I would like to know is, if he's such an expert and has such good connections, why can't they sell the jewellery on to us at more realistic prices? :thinking2:

Surely thats Gems and Thaigems then not Rocks&Co tho? When they talk about it on air they try to imply that R&C were offered to be Siteholders...techinically not quite true?
My bigger concern is why so much smoke and mirrors with R&C, why hide the fact that Don Kogen is or isn't an owner/director?

Sorry to contradict, but I think this is probably true. Years ago when Steve Bennett and Don Kogon were working as Gemstv and Don Kogon owned Thai Gems, they were telling us that they had been asked to become sightholders and that they had refused because they didn't want to buy the job lots. At that time Tony Diniz worked for Don supplying the gemstones. Only the other day when Don was on, he mentioned it again, so I think this is what Tony is talking about.On the other hand, TJC has by far the most beautiful tanzanite and they are sightholders and presumably having to buy the not so good with the great. What do they do? Simple, they supply loads of other companies (QVC, Ideal World?!) with tanzanite jewellery and keep the best for themselves and sell it to us at fabulous prices.
Rocks&Co have had some lovely tanzanite recently, but their prices are prohibitive and their gold weights pathetic, they have priced themselves way out of my league. However, I don't think we should underestimate Tony Diniz's connections with mine owners and gem traders purely due to his former close association with Thai Gems, which was/is a big player in the gem world.
What I would like to know is, if he's such an expert and has such good connections, why can't they sell the jewellery on to us at more realistic prices? :thinking2:

You know, I think you could be onto something there! Again, the shame of the whole situation is that with a little bit more honesty, they could gain SSOO much credibility! We aren't stupid - we know R&C weren't around years ago, so just be honest and stop assuming that the owner/directors worlds were empty pre R&C. Say that years ago, in the pre R&C days, Tony was part of a company who were offered to be, and they decided to turn it down for this reason, and they sourced in this way, which is exactly what we do.

...maybe I should start running workshops for R&C 'How To Make Positive Sales Statements Without Bending The Truth Or Just Telling Plain Old Whoppers Of A Bunch Of Fibs' Catchy title, doncha think?!?

Either way it makes the phrase "Cut out the Middle Men" useless as he has exactly that a middle mand where he gets his Tanzanite.

Sorry to contradict, but I think this is probably true. Years ago when Steve Bennett and Don Kogon were working as Gemstv and Don Kogon owned Thai Gems, they were telling us that they had been asked to become sightholders and that they had refused because they didn't want to buy the job lots. At that time Tony Diniz worked for Don supplying the gemstones. Only the other day when Don was on, he mentioned it again, so I think this is what Tony is talking about.
On the other hand, TJC has by far the most beautiful tanzanite and they are sightholders and presumably having to buy the not so good with the great. What do they do? Simple, they supply loads of other companies (QVC, Ideal World?!) with tanzanite jewellery and keep the best for themselves and sell it to us at fabulous prices.

As my twinny Tabs has said Jacqualina that may have been true (we'll never know) when it was the original Gems TV and Thaigems. However, Tony Diniz was never Gems TV or Thai Gems, only a worker and if you believe what Rocks tell us, (and I don't), Don Kogan is nothing to do with Rocks and is purely as Guest as he his Tony's friend, then what happened (or didn't) with Gems TV/Thai Gems is totally irrelevant to anything as far as Rocks & Co is concerned.

They clearly stated that "we" being Rocks & Co were asked to be Sightholders - that is totally untrue and just another lie in their long list of lies! They can't have it all ways - either Don Kogan owns Rocks & Co which is what is commonly thought, or he doesn't. Tony Diniz, as Graham established, is a Director of Rocks & Co yet they still try to portray him as just being their "world renowned Gem Hunter". Whatever the truth, Rocks & Co as a a company have never been asked to be Sightholders in my opinion and weren't even in existence 3 years ago which is when Stacey said they were asked! If they were asked as another company then they cannot say "we" when it wasn't them, it was another company.

Just another web of deceit and lies which I think we'll leave to the ASA to sort out!!

I take your point Klos, but I don't know the intricacies of it all and how Don and Tony are linked in business. I also don't know whether or not Tony was asked personally. All I know is that TJC offer a far better deal and are my preferred suppliers. Being sightholders have done them no harm whatsoever in my opinion!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but ........... I seem to recall Steve Ashton saying "we don't want to be sightholders" NOT "we've been asked to be sightholders". That's a huge difference.

Anything to do with GemsTV/Thaigem is a red herring. Rocks and Co are saying that THEY have been offered the opportunity to be a Sightholder.

Sightholders have to commit to buying X amount over the course of a period of time. That means they buy the good, bad and ugly. The reason that Sightholders are large organisations is that, normally, they will keep the cream of the crop for themselves (or sell on at a nice profit) and have the resources/connections to do so. I doubt very much whether Rocks and Co come near to this. TJC (and my info may be out of date) used to sell to GemsTV, QVC, Argos etc etc. so it's not surprising that the Tanzy and prices at TJC are unmatched.

As far as Tony Diniz / Rocks and Co being asked to be Sightholders????? I doubt it very very very much. As KB has said, they weren't in existence 3 years ago. So Rocks and Co, where's your proof? Is this just another in a long line of lies? Yes, I think it is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back