Yankee Candles - What's all the fuss about?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree. I don't like their paraffin wax candles as I can always smell the wax through the fragrance and the wicks they use always seem to gush black smoke no matter how often I trim them. I much prefer the more eco friendly varieties with more natural fragrances. They're not all really expensive and don't dirty the walls and ceilings. I always think that if it's doing that to the walls what is it doing to my lungs!

I agree. I don't like their paraffin wax candles as I can always smell the wax through the fragrance and the wicks they use always seem to gush black smoke no matter how often I trim them. I much prefer the more eco friendly varieties with more natural fragrances. They're not all really expensive and don't dirty the walls and ceilings. I always think that if it's doing that to the walls what is it doing to my lungs!

I like Yankee and the soy/beeswax candles. I do find, however, that the soy ones do get blackened, sooty wicks and can smoke (although not, it seems, the beeswax). And, of course, you are not meant to burn the soy ones for more than 3 to 4 hours at a time, which is a bit of a pain. I know what you mean about what it all does to your lungs, so as an asthmatic I am very careful. And I have read research that suggests that beeswax candles can actually clean the air of irritants.

i love really nice candles with a vegetable soy base and real esential oils but i can also appreciate how lovely some yankee candles are and how one large jar candle can burn for months and scent the whole house..

i cannot afford to always buy a 100ml candle for £40 but also remember that jo malone candles are indeed parrafin and many companies have ruthlessly copied her scents..
m&s do a grapefruit candle that smells devine so do many others. diptyque would rarely get a sale from me now..

regarding the soot form candles i use a yankee shade as this collects the soot.

I bought some unscented candles from eBay before christmas (I believe they were from Ikea) and I was horrified when I took the decorations down the other week to discover the tv where the candle had been was absolutely BLACK from the candle soot! I'd only burned about 6 of them (they were votive sized) and it was disgusting! Has made me wary now coz i light candles every night but I hate to think what they're releasing into the air when i burn them!

ugh!

I bought a jar candle from TKMaxx a couple of months ago which was not Yankee and when it got to the bottom instead of just going out like Yankees kept burning and produced loads and loads of thick black smoke. When I walked into the room I could not see through this 'smog'. All the walls and ceiling were black and it took hours to clean it all up. Will stick to Yankee's now!!

I like my Yankees - I don't like the 'foody' ones like cakey or chocolately vanilla-y ones, they make me headachy. The floral and fruity ones I love though - and the Moroccan Rose/Fresh Cut Roses are sublime. But I can honestly say that Darl's Tarts are right up there with the Yankee, in fact Darl's Tarts burn more cleanly in many ways and smell more 'natural'...

I too have tried quite a few scented candles over the years and have to say that
YC still come tops. I have tried the expensive ones when they have on the rare
occasion reduced in sales otherwise they are well out of my price range and I agree
they smell fantastic. Shame I am not a rich girl otherwise I would stick to these. : (

Anyway, back to reality. I too have experience the cr*p ones which have created
loads of black smoke and had either no scent or enough to send you outside to get away
from the synthetic yuk!

The choice of scent is obviously down to personal preference and currently my faves are island spa, sage citrus, lemon lavender, tiare flower, cinnamon stick in the autumn and christmas eve and jack frost at xmas time. YC tarts hold oddles of scent and to me are the best value. Its so easy just to plonk one or half of one on an electric tart burner.

I had a Jo Malone candle once cost a bomb,my husband bought it in a set of necterine blossom and honey for me(the only Jo Malone perfume I like) and you couldnt smell the candle I thought it was a waste really but each to their own eh?!

I had a Jo Malone candle once cost a bomb,my husband bought it in a set of necterine blossom and honey for me(the only Jo Malone perfume I like) and you couldnt smell the candle I thought it was a waste really but each to their own eh?!

I bought a Molton Brown air candela something or other (of the coconut theme). Short of stuffing bits of it up my nostrils, I couldn't smell a thing when it was lit. I know when there's a Yankee Candle on the go though!!

i bought a molton brown air candela something or other (of the coconut theme). Short of stuffing bits of it up my nostrils, i couldn't smell a thing when it was lit. I know when there's a yankee candle on the go though!!

yes our house is smelling nice tonight,burning early sunrise and eucalyptus too
i love my yankees !!
Molton brown are very expensive i have looked on the jl website

What are yankee candles made of,
i mean the wax I read somewhere that parafin wax is dangerous so you should use candles made of soya wax, i dont know the difference

Eucalyptus sounds good, is it like Molton Brown shower gel? Did you get it from Yankee Doodle?

no,I got it in the states last year from yankee shop,I found an outlet store !!
could have spent the day in there,spent a blinkin fortune...it was all less than half of what we pay here... $10 for a medium jar,it smells really lovely aswell
am hoping to go back this year to replenish stocks !!:mysmilie_61:

USA's a long way to go for a candle :mysmilie_17: Yankee Doodle have got Spa Fresh with lavender, eucalyptus and mint - might give it a try when I get paid. The eucalyptus reeds have sold out.

I like the YC tarts, samplers and small jars because I get bored and don't want to buy the great big jars. Mandarin & cranberry was lovely over Xmas, I also like sandalwood, clean cotton and sun & sand but I tend to have the fruity ones in the kitchen, granny smith, sparkling lemon & orchard pear have been recent ones.

I love granny smith too its so fresh,I tend to like the fresh,fruity ones.
Not so much the foody ones,some of them are a bit sickly for me.
The one from yankee doodle sounds good,they have some good offers,have used them a few times,cracking service and delivery times too
I got some samplers a bit back and I agree its a goos way to try before you buy so to speak.We have a dog and I like to keep the house smelling fresh.

no,I got it in the states last year from yankee shop,I found an outlet store !!
could have spent the day in there,spent a blinkin fortune...it was all less than half of what we pay here... $10 for a medium jar,it smells really lovely aswell
am hoping to go back this year to replenish stocks !!:mysmilie_61:

I got some when I was in the states last summer too. Got some lovely new ones which werent out here and also got some in TJMaxx - I paid $7 for medium jars in there!!!

The funny thing was my hubby told me it would be safer to carry the one I bought in a metal holder and shade in my hand luggage so's not to break it. I got stopped going through customs - I think they thought it looked like a bomb as it is a huge wax cylinder with a 'fuse' :mysmilie_697:

I got some when I was in the states last summer too. Got some lovely new ones which werent out here and also got some in TJMaxx - I paid $7 for medium jars in there!!!

The funny thing was my hubby told me it would be safer to carry the one I bought in a metal holder and shade in my hand luggage so's not to break it. I got stopped going through customs - I think they thought it looked like a bomb as it is a huge wax cylinder with a 'fuse' :mysmilie_697:

blimey its a wonder you werent arrested !!
yes they are cheap in the states for sure
:mysmilie_61:

I think they are peddled as a lot more upmarket here than they are in the States, they are a bit of a basic range really.

Darls tarts have far more fragrance and they are soy based too.

I don't like the look of them either, all a bit old fashioned.

I think they are peddled as a lot more upmarket here than they are in the States, they are a bit of a basic range really.

Darls tarts have far more fragrance and they are soy based too.

I don't like the look of them either, all a bit old fashioned.

yes they are ,not many people in the yankee shops there when we visited
It doesnt put me off though:mysmilie_61:
I cant afford the more upmarket ones but I am sure they are lovely!!

Latest posts

Back