Northern Nights - What on Earth Possessed Me.......?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kitten_with_claws

Registered Shopper
Bought not but two of these:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.828513.cm_scid.crt

on the strength of the 25 5* reviews stating 'pure opulence', 'soft as silk', 'quality all the way', 'so luxurious', etc. etc.

Eh? Well, whatever bedding these people have got, it sure as hell isn't the same as mine! 'Soft as silk'.......is scratchy & uncomfortable & has an unpleasant warmth to the fabric more akin to polycotton than Egyptian cotton!

So here I am at 5.30 in the morning, both OH & I been up since 4am, (OH amusing himself baking a cake! lol), unable to sleep as the grotty stuff is so hot & uncomfortable!

I can only presume the 25 reviewers previously slept on the dreaded 'high street' bedding......or possibly hessian sacking......or one of those old-fashioned jute horse rugs you used to get......! lol
Gah! Over 20 quid in p&p both ways it's going to cost me to return this cheap, thin, overheating, scratchy pile of tat! :mysmilie_73:

Never again will I whinge about the cost of the real high end stuff & intend to go straight out & get some lovely lovely new Yves Delorme asap & never be swayed again to try anything else.....ever!

Rant over! lol

I hate their stuff! I have never bought any, because I only like white bedding and detest flanelette but my MIL has it and so, every time we visit the U.K., we have to sleep on the darned stuff. It makes me itch and it's far too warm, even in the dead of winter. I also think it is very thin for the price. I get my bedding from the States, or Portugal because we get beautiful quality, heavyweight cotton cheaper than NN, even with the postage added on. I honestly can't believe the prices they charge for a very inferior product...

Kitten I feel for you. Thank you for mentioning it as I was seriously thinking about getting some bedding and was looking at NN, but maybe stick to TK Max instead and some of their high end products.

See KWC: your sleepless night has helped someone, so it was not wasted:mysmilie_82::mysmilie_61::mysmilie_687:

I can't remember sleeping on an uncomfortable sheet since the days of bri nylon! I buy all my sheets from places like Primark, Matalan, Poundstretcher, apart from one incident when a fitted sheet must have shrunk in the wash and kept popping off the mattress, I have not had a bad nights sleep due to the quality of my sheets! But to slag off high street bedding, then produce something that's positively uncomfortable to sleep on is really something! Thanks for the warning....not that I was ever tempted, but I'm sure a lot of people are. I've heard other bad reports of NN on here in the past btw.

poor kitten, well at least you have a cake to look forward to.

i would try and get qvc to pay the return p&p due to false advertising

have to say i always use bhs Egyptian cotton bedding range, and this imo is superb it gets better with age

Not tries this range fro NN but I do have a few flannel sets from them that I just adore.

Oh by the way, what cake is it?

Never tried NN bed linen except for some deep fitted sheets that go over my Tempur mattress topper with plenty of room to spare, so I would recommended them for that reason. My biggest mistake was buying a NN featherbed which was lovely to sink into for about a week but soon became lumpy and bumpy no matter how often I shook the damn thing, so in the end I gave it away to a friend for their dog's bed. What a bliddy waste of money. :mysmilie_81: Plus I find it hard to watch Susie Adams and her horrendous false nails stroking and caressing and plumping....it's quite obscene I tell ya!! :mysmilie_701:

Last edited:
Dumelem Mill for me, have had some lovely sheets from there. Oh and they have a coffee bar too and the cappachino is o.k and not expensive!

Oh by the way, what cake is it?

Lemon spongre Yaz! *yum*

I don't mean this in a snobby way (& gawd knows I can't afford to replace my old bedding at a cost of several hundred quid these days, with expensive teenagers to run! lol) but if you are, or have been, used to sleeping on really expensive stuff, don't even consider this, you're going to be horribly, horribly disappointed!

I thought I could save a few quid (entire bed set costing the same as a high end pair of pillowcases! lol) but have only myself to blame as I'm always saying that the stuff cannot possibly be of the luxury quality they claim as that would put it into the £400-£700 quid price range & of course, it's not!

Lesson learnt, mainly 'stick to your own rules & take your own bl**dy advice'!
Might investigate Artemis' choice of Portugese cottons though, as eldest DD really needs a new 'puter for uni & feel guilty about forking out a huge amount on Yves Delorme or similar!

Dumelem Mill for me, have had some lovely sheets from there. Oh and they have a coffee bar too and the cappachino is o.k and not expensive!

Yep, DD has bedsets from Dunelm Mill, forget what the range is, begins with a 'v', 100% cotton, very soft, easy to iron, perfect.....! Oh, the striped Valencia I think it is, even comes in black which is what she has! Cost about 50 quid for a single entire bed set, brilliant!

oh dear kitten
hope the cake is nice anyway
we are making cakes for Haiti today for my daughter to take to school
anyway I have necer bought anything from NN ,think it seems very expensive,even the tsvs have never tempted me,I got 3 new sets in the next sale this Christmas,I have bought from primark and asda before aswell as dunelm mill,everything fine
got a nice set on today which was about 16 quid from primark and its lovely,washed fine too so I cant grumble
my duvet(feather) was from asda and was about 30 odd quid and thats also lovely
get an early night love to catch up on your sleep !!!!

hope the cake is nice anyway
we are making cakes for Haiti today for my daughter to take to school

Cake was very nice & lovely that you're making cakes today for such a good cause! Those poor people in Haiti who have lost everything & there's me whingeing on about some stinkin' bedding!

I do apologise to all for whining on, my only defence is that I do suffer quite badly from sciatica & related problems so don't sleep well (or much!) at the best of times, so this was the final straw really after not having had very much sleep in a while! :mysmilie_81:

Quite understandable Kitten. I'd be more than miffed too if I'd spent out so much on inferior quality items. why don't you call CS, ask to speak to a supervisor and request a prepaid return label for the bedding as it was mis-sold?

Quite understandable Kitten. I'd be more than miffed too if I'd spent out so much on inferior quality items. why don't you call CS, ask to speak to a supervisor and request a prepaid return label for the bedding as it was mis-sold?

One set is still in packaging Fairynuff so I will be returning that to them under the Distance Selling Regulations (meaning I will also get my £6.95 p&p back for that one!), so only the original p&p cost to send the other set will be lost & the p&p to return both sets but if I use Standard Parcels, will not be too mind-blowingly horrendous!

Always go on the principle, kitten, that cheap(er) stuff cost more.

Last edited:
Always go on the principle, kitten, that cheap(er) stuff cost more.

Very true WS!
Eye wateringly expensive duvet (cashmere no less! lol) is still soft, cool to the touch & evenly filled after 15 years or so (forget just what it did cost now but certainly several hundred!), yet if I added up all the duvets the girls have gone through in the same amount of time, it would probably come to proportionately a fair bit more! lol

Buy cheap..buy twice....as the saying goes.

Enough, no more, mercy, I've been punished enough.......*goes outside to tap head repeatedly against brick wall!*

I know some folk on here like the stuff, maybe I am just fussy......or super sensitive, like the Princess & the Pea! :mysmilie_17:

True though, was also thinking back to how many bedding sets the DDs have gone through.......*shudders!* lol

Kitten,I had the same opinion of the one and only NN set I bought some years ago. I contacted customer services,told them my opinion, and they had the stuff collected and refunded everything including the outward p&p. Is it worth you giving customer services a ring? You can't lose,even if they only do the return postage for you it would be something!

One set is still in packaging Fairynuff so I will be returning that to them under the Distance Selling Regulations (meaning I will also get my £6.95 p&p back for that one!), so only the original p&p cost to send the other set will be lost & the p&p to return both sets but if I use Standard Parcels, will not be too mind-blowingly horrendous!

have QVC (or anywhere else) confirmed this is the case? i know there was a thread about this subject recently which seemed to get a bit confused. i'll be interested to know as my interpretation was you wouldn't get p&p in these circumstances.

i get my bedding from Costco now, 450TC i think it is. excellent quality & wears very well, i can really tell the difference if i put anything different on the bed.

Latest posts

Back