AY may possibly burst a blood vessel if she picks up Cosmo this month...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have the Clientele with the "nasty" in it but as I don't use it everyday I am not worried about a bit of exposure to it. Even totally natural products can't be guaranteed 100% safe. Hemlock is afterall a very natural product!

I thought boron was a metal - I'm sure it's in the periodic table!

True. It is used in the semi-conductor industry (where I know it from IRL), but elemental boron is not harmful to humans.
I would assume, because it is heavy and has sediment-like qualities, it is used in products so that they can 'sit' on the skin.

:mysmilie_687: LADY TIA!!!

I avoid skincare products that contain Oxybenzone & also do not use chemical sunscreen for the same reason - a physical sunblock instead (such as Liz Earle) which utilises titanium dioxide & zinc oxide as a physical block is a far healthier option, even if does leave a bit of a ghostly veil & even the good ones do a bit! lol

Actually there's a bit in Toxic Beauty (and it may have been in the other beauty book I was reading too) saying physical sunscreens aren't that safe either. Quite shocked me when I read that. I *think* its because of nano particles.

There is so much conflicting advice that, in the absence of really strong evidence, I think I'll stick to Parasol which suits my skin, my pocket and my lifestyle.
It is really important to have an efficient screen here. I don't lie in the sun and try to avoid being out at midday but I do have to get on with my life otherwise I'd be a hermit for several months of the year. I can't be doing with screens that have to be constantly reapplied while I'm out for the day.
In five years here, I have never burned, using the Parasol 25. I would be nervous using a lesser factor unless it could be proved that it would offer the same protection.

Thanks for all the information, everyone, it's fascinating.:mysmilie_687:

I'm going to have to get myself a copy of this Cosmo. It's not good news for me about the Oxybenzone as it's the main sunscreen in my absolute favourite moisturiser. I can't tolerate physical sunscreens as they break me out horribly and as a redhead SPF 15 doesn't cut it for me either. I wear SPF 30 in my day cream and SPF 30 or 50 on my body when I'm out during the summer (covered up the rest of the year!). I wonder if using an antioxidant cream at night would undo the 'damage' caused by the sunblock during the day, therefore allowing your skin to absorb antioxidants at least for some of the time.

Minefield!!

Tx

Thanks Lady Tia! :) The Vaishali moisturiser is nice and uses just Zinc Oxide as the spf - there is phenoxyethanol in it, which is a synthetic preservative, but this is not classed as a petrochemical, sulfate or paraben, and is used by a lot of natural cosmetic companies such as REN and Neal's Yard - not perfect, but a compromise I'm willing to make when everything else, to me, seems so right.

Cupcake, I've come across that too on the net - about physical sunscreens not being safe because of the nano particles. There is also information to say that the nano particles are safe because scientific tests have shown they don't migrate any deeper than the skin layers. To avoid the nano particle issue, of course, you just go for one of the mineral sunscreens which are not ground down as finely - the trade-off is that you'll get the whiter cast to your skin, but a price people who aren't happy about this issue are willing to pay. There is also the titanium oxide vs zinc oxide issue, with zinc oxide coming out tops in terms of deflecting the rays without generating the oxidative stress on the skin.

Artemis and Red T: you can drive yourself nuts trying to get the right product for yourself (or maybe I'm just speaking for myself lol!!), but if it works really well for you and other alternatives just aren't good for you, then just stick with what's right for you. The main thing, like you say Artemis, is to avoid getting burned, and if the product you use stops that, then that is the most important thing - and not to be lost sight of in all the information overload that's out there!! Red T, using an antioxidant cream at night is a great idea and definitely would work towards combating the 'damage' of the day.

Thanks Lady Tia! :) The Vaishali moisturiser is nice and uses just Zinc Oxide as the spf - there is phenoxyethanol in it, which is a synthetic preservative, but this is not classed as a petrochemical, sulfate or paraben, and is used by a lot of natural cosmetic companies such as REN and Neal's Yard - not perfect, but a compromise I'm willing to make when everything else, to me, seems so right.

Cupcake, I've come across that too on the net - about physical sunscreens not being safe because of the nano particles. There is also information to say that the nano particles are safe because scientific tests have shown they don't migrate any deeper than the skin layers. To avoid the nano particle issue, of course, you just go for one of the mineral sunscreens which are not ground down as finely - the trade-off is that you'll get the whiter cast to your skin, but a price people who aren't happy about this issue are willing to pay. There is also the titanium oxide vs zinc oxide issue, with zinc oxide coming out tops in terms of deflecting the rays without generating the oxidative stress on the skin.

Artemis and Red T: you can drive yourself nuts trying to get the right product for yourself (or maybe I'm just speaking for myself lol!!), but if it works really well for you and other alternatives just aren't good for you, then just stick with what's right for you. The main thing, like you say Artemis, is to avoid getting burned, and if the product you use stops that, then that is the most important thing - and not to be lost sight of in all the information overload that's out there!! Red T, using an antioxidant cream at night is a great idea and definitely would work towards combating the 'damage' of the day.

Oh cool, I must look out for an antioxidant cream for night time now, I use A'kin at the moment so I'll check the website again, maybe they're already in there! haha!

I agree about driving yourself nuts, it's good to know what's going on your skin etc but it's taken me years (literally) to find a sunblock that didn't break me out horribly so I'm not giving it up! I shower every night anyway so it's not on my skin overnight, that's the best compromise I can make! Plus my day cream is highly recommended by Paula Begoun so I reckon that's a good thing, I don't agree with her 100% but I think she basically knows her stuff.

*deep breath*

:mysmilie_17:

Tx

PS I had a look through Cosmo yesterday and couldn't see the article, can anyone confirm that it's the Feb issue? Maybe I've missed it...

Latest posts

Back