Sara's Baby Boy - Name ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've nothing against unusual names, lets face it, lots of today's popular names started off being "unusual" ....see my earlier thread about the name Joshua!
I do think though a lot of the celebrities do seem to try and outdaft each other with their choice of names, and I don't think Apple, or Peaches will catch on....but on the whole I think it's all good.

As someone else pointed out, when they were kids, there was only a handful of names floating about out there...Boys were Mark, Paul, Andrew, David and Stephen, and the Girls were called Susan, Julie, Sarah, Nicola and Karen. Not knocking those names in the slightest, but there's just so much more variety these days!...and long may it continue!

the Girls were called Susan, Julie, Sarah, Nicola and Karen. Not knocking those names in the slightest, but there's just so much more variety these days!...and long may it continue!

Are you suggesting my name is common?:mysmilie_698:
I've only ever known 2 others in my entire life! It's all Nicole now!:mysmilie_61:

I have a grandson called Felix and he is the only one with that name in his state school in fact I don't know of another person with the name but it is his parents choice and we all like the name so no problem.

Are you suggesting my name is common?:mysmilie_698:
I've only ever known 2 others in my entire life! It's all Nicole now!:mysmilie_61:

There was loads of Nicola's at my school, and I'm a Sue, one of many in my school. There was also loads of Jackies, Traceys and Tricias. Funnily enough one of my best friends was Nicole, and she was named because her mother was French, but the teachers all seemed to call her Nicola anyway, despite her constantly correcting them! Her siblings were Andrew, Debbie and John.

I also remember a couple of girls of my age having quite old fashioned names...Margaret, Jean and June. Those were typically the names of our generation's mothers. My mates mum's apart from the French one who was Yvette, were typically Margaret, Audrey, Eileen, Pat,Mary & Jean. But now anything goes, and names don't tend to date a person any more, though I've yet to meet a young Mavis lol! But I do think it's a good thing cause some of these old names are really sweet. I met a mum in our shop who's little twins were Alfie and Bertie....awww!

Our neigbour's baby boy is called Spike...ummm not so sure about that one though!

Last edited:
one of the boys in my class was Zachary which was unusual,nobody had really heard of it before
all the others were Davids or Stephen Gary or John or Simon
the most popular girls names were Ann,Julie,Susan,Lisa or Sarah,or Joanne
there were 2 Janes(my name)
I think the old biblical names have come around again and are popular,such as Joshua,Samuel,Thomas,Joseph etc and they are rather nice
I also like Harry,Alfie and Archie

one of the boys in my class was Zachary which was unusual,nobody had really heard of it before
all the others were Davids or Stephen Gary or John or Simon
the most popular girls names were Ann,Julie,Susan,Lisa or Sarah,or Joanne
there were 2 Janes(my name)
I think the old biblical names have come around again and are popular,such as Joshua,Samuel,Thomas,Joseph etc and they are rather nice
I also like Harry,Alfie and Archie

How could I forget about Jane....there was lots of Janes. My mate's mum said she called her daughter Jane cause noone could shorten it...instead they called her Janey D'oh!!!!

Most unusual names in my primary school? There was a girl in the year above called Shelley and a boy called Daryl. Also remember my boyfriend's sister being called Stacey, and thinking wow what an exotic name lol!

How could I forget about Jane....there was lots of Janes. My mate's mum said she called her daughter Jane cause noone could shorten it...instead they called her Janey D'oh!!!!

Most unusual names in my primary school? There was a girl in the year above called Shelley and a boy called Daryl. Also remember my boyfriend's sister being called Stacey, and thinking wow what an exotic name lol!

yes so did my mum and people call me Janey which i dont like! lol
also at school we had a few Michelles and Catherines which i also like
i like my own name but always dreamed about being a Helen when i was little!!
my mum called us Jane Glen and Paulnone of which can be shortened!!
my 3 kids are Thomas Lucy and Joseph...the boys get Tom and Joe all the time:mysmilie_61:

Well, Pippa has a child called Milo !!!! not sure if its male or female
Claudia has a child called Blake

So I suppose Casper is in keeping with the terribly trendies !

And can anyone explain why there is a sudden trend in calling children today names that have generally been surnames in the past ????

i.e. Lewis, Connor, Mackenzie, Blake, Seymour etc etc

Well, Pippa has a child called Milo !!!! not sure if its male or female
Claudia has a child called Blake

So I suppose Casper is in keeping with the terribly trendies !

And can anyone explain why there is a sudden trend in calling children today names that have generally been surnames in the past ????

i.e. Lewis, Connor, Mackenzie, Blake, Seymour etc etc

I maybe wrong but I thought Pipa's son was called Miles.

:mysmilie_34:

My dd told me today that Jenny Frost called her little boy,Casper,too so becoming quite 'trendy' :mysmilie_697:
My new grandson is called Lucas Samuel which I think is really nice.

We've got 7 kids and their names are, Rebecca, Robin, Jessica, Dominic, Patrick, Francesca and Joseph although they're all called by shortened or pet named versions :mysmilie_12:

If true ... poor sod!!

Dear All

Second post and totally off the subject of shopping on QVC, so, perhaps, I should start another topic.

Casper !!, point made, I believe; I'm happy to start my plans to leave the planet

xeroph xx

When I as in my early teens our class organised an evening at the cinema. I had a packet of chocolates and said the the boy next to me "Andrew, would you like a malteser?" I should have asked more quietly because by the time the 11 Andrews had helped themsleves there were none left!!!!!!! I was the only person in my school with my name (not Almerinda thank goodness) and so was my sister. It never bothered me as I always liked being a bit different.

I was always the only 'Heather' in the school and wherever I worked, though it's not exactly unusual. When I was a child, I desperately wanted to be called Christine, Barbara or Linda which were very popular at the time.The rest of the girls had old-fashioned names like Edna, Mabel and Mavis. My 5 daughters and 1 son all have names that have stood the test of time over the centuries as I'm not a lover of trendy names. Some of the Grandchildren have unusual names!

When I as in my early teens our class organised an evening at the cinema. I had a packet of chocolates and said the the boy next to me "Andrew, would you like a malteser?" I should have asked more quietly because by the time the 11 Andrews had helped themsleves there were none left!!!!!!! I was the only person in my school with my name (not Almerinda thank goodness) and so was my sister. It never bothered me as I always liked being a bit different.

Hilarious!:mysmilie_61:

It wasn't at the time. I liked Maltesers!!

It reminds me of when we lived in Bristol in the 60s. The lady that lived opposite me had a young daughter called Julie, as did half the families in the area. When she used to go and call her in for her tea, she would shout"Joooolieeeee" and about a dozen little heads would pop up from everywhere...:mysmilie_697:

When I was at school (sorry, it was a posh school :D ) I shared my house room with a Christoper Christopher. However, the best one, and I kid you not here, was a chap in the year below. He was also a Christopher but his surname was Christmas. His mum was called Mary and his dad was a local vicar. Father and Mary Christmas! I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't been there :D

Mum went to school with a Richard (Dick) Head and used to know a Peter and Peggy Pickles :D

Latest posts

Back