Sara's Baby Boy - Name ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It reminds me of when we lived in Bristol in the 60s. The lady that lived opposite me had a young daughter called Julie, as did half the families in the area. When she used to go and call her in for her tea, she would shout"Joooolieeeee" and about a dozen little heads would pop up from everywhere...:mysmilie_697:

When I was little we had some next door neighbours. They had a daughter calles Vandra. At about 6 every evening we would hear a voice calling "Vaaaaaandra! Baaaaathtime". It caused endless amusement: not so much the name but the "baaaathtime". I often wonder where Hyacinth Bouquet used to live............

When I was school - my name,Rosie - was considered most unusal and old fashioned - how I wished I had a "normal" name! I even had people ask me why are called that?! Explaining that my nan is called rose so suppose it derived from her,bought horror to faces!!

Now at 36,my name is popular within the school I work in - and yet when I make appointments in my name (my surname is long and hard to pronounce,so don't use it) the amount of people who have said Oh I expected a little girl and her mum to turn up!!! :)

When I was school - my name,Rosie - was considered most unusal and old fashioned - how I wished I had a "normal" name! I even had people ask me why are called that?! Explaining that my nan is called rose so suppose it derived from her,bought horror to faces!!

Now at 36,my name is popular within the school I work in - and yet when I make appointments in my name (my surname is long and hard to pronounce,so don't use it) the amount of people who have said Oh I expected a little girl and her mum to turn up!!! :)

It's a beautiful name! My grandmother was called Rosie too.

when i was at school i was 1 of 4 emma's in my class doing the register was a nightmare, emma was my nans name she died when my mum was 3 and her grandmothers name too so i always liked it.my mum had an obsession with dallas (i think) or was it dynasty?while she was pregnent with me and she intended to call me krystal!but settled for my middle name krystina(yep thats how she spelt it on my birth certificate lol)
I had a friend at school called cleo which i adored and wshed ide been called that!
I always said if i had a little boy ide call him ashton, i grew up in a little village called ashton keynes

we had a neighbour a few years back and her daughter was called Zenga,never heard of anyone else called that........ and an old lady I know is called Nelva,apparently her mum saw it on a tin of peaches years ago and liked it !!!
They are both unusual arent they !

Zegna is a fashion label, it's also a reasonably common Italian surname. Zenga is something to do with Zen philosophy so her folks are potentially fashionistas or very spiritual or I suppose they could be both:D Or they could have meant the meaning of one but gave it the spelling of the other. I'm glad I just have to name dogs and cats , just pick a theme and stick with it :D

Last edited:
Zenga is a fashion label, it's to be a reasonably common Italian surname. It's also something to do with Zen philosophy so her folks are potentially fashionistas or very spiritual or I suppose they could be both:D

Wasn;t there a footballer called Zenga? Maybe they were very fashionable but spiritual football fans.

:mysmilie_701:

Zegna is a fashion label, it's also a reasonably common Italian surname. Zenga is something to do with Zen philosophy so her folks are potentially fashionistas or very spiritual or I suppose they could be both:D Or they could have meant the meaning of one but gave it the spelling of the other. I'm glad I just have to name dogs and cats , just pick a theme and stick with it :D

ooohhh I didnt know that!! Zenga nextdoor was only a young girl and her parents called her brother Dale,not very Italian is it ??
I always thought it sounded very exotic!

A woman who was in my father's class (plenty of foreign names and yet somehow they all coped including him) was called Zarene, a beautiful exotic name for a very beautiful exotic woman with an absolutely poisonous disposition :D

A woman who was in my father's class (plenty of foreign names and yet somehow they all coped including him) was called Zarene, a beautiful exotic name for a very beautiful exotic woman with an absolutely poisonous disposition :D[/Q
we had a Zachary which was unusual in the 70's,everyone else had quite 'ordinary' names in comparison !

In my line of work I have had the misfortune to witness some ridiculous names..some have made me laugh out loud!!
I have had an Elvis,Nike and Ellesse (twins )Bubblee,Ace,Jet and Ronaldo to name but a few!!

Among the most popular now are Alfie,Freddy,Lucas,Charlie and Lola,Amelia,Ava,Scarlett and Ruby...all ok I reckon!

My friends Husband is called Heath which I always think sounds lovely!

In my line of work I have had the misfortune to witness some ridiculous names..some have made me laugh out loud!!
I have had an Elvis,Nike and Ellesse (twins )Bubblee,Ace,Jet and Ronaldo to name but a few!!

Among the most popular now are Alfie,Freddy,Lucas,Charlie and Lola,Amelia,Ava,Scarlett and Ruby...all ok I reckon!

My friends Husband is called Heath which I always think sounds lovely!

Nice name but reminds me of Hampstead or Ted.:mysmilie_61:

When I was expecting our son, we couldn't agree on whether to call him Magnus or Robert. My dh was a bit concerned that Magnus would be too "out there"; I pointed out that when we were at school everyone had the same names (Andrew, Steven, Gary, Paul, Mark, Graeme or Tracey, Nicola, Sarah, Fiona, Claire), but nowadays there's a whole load more names being used (of course there are plenty of Jacks, Calums, Sophias and Ellas). Well, our son's group of friends includes Tyler, Jacob, Conrad, Otis, Seth, Austin, Max, Jackson, Hughie and he himself is Magnus.

Our daughter has an ultra-traditional name, our son has a very uncommon name; usually it's the other way round, with the girl having the fancy-schmancy name and the boy being named after a grandfather!

Caspar is fine, btw, perhaps a little too soft for my personal taste, but a nice enough name. Everyone's heard of it, even though they might not all know a real-live Caspar.

Well, Pippa has a child called Milo !!!! not sure if its male or female
Claudia has a child called Blake

So I suppose Casper is in keeping with the terribly trendies !

And can anyone explain why there is a sudden trend in calling children today names that have generally been surnames in the past ????

i.e. Lewis, Connor, Mackenzie, Blake, Seymour etc etc

My cousin named his daughter Mackenzie, at first I thought thats an awful name but six years on its grown on me and I now think its lovely. My daughters are Zoe and Adele and there arent many of them in their school.

we had a neighbour a few years back and her daughter was called Zenga,never heard of anyone else called that........ and an old lady I know is called Nelva,apparently her mum saw it on a tin of peaches years ago and liked it !!!
They are both unusual arent they !

Zenga, sometimes spelled Senga, is Agnes backwards!

Back home in Scotland when I had my son 32 years ago we named him Richard, there were no Richard's any where at all and everyone thought it was very unusual, then 4 years later I had my daughter and named her Lauren after the actress Lauren Bacall, again it was totally unknown, but we did give her my mother's name Jessie and my late mother-in-law's name of Sarah as middle names and my daughter is well pleased with all her names.

piper

Still...nothing compares to MOXIE CRIME-FIGHTER for insane names,this is the actual name of Penn from Penn and Teller's daughter.

Caspar seems positively dull in comparison.

a lady I work with has a baby grandaughter called Macartney(yes after Paul) and another lady has one called Lilah
I like Lilah but not too keen on the other!!!!!

Latest posts

Back