Hmm - Milkhouse Creamery Candles

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbedwire

Registered Shopper
This looks like a very lovely range, and I'm very tempted but being good so far!

However, one thing is puzzling me - Pipa and the guest keep saying that once the candle has burned away you can wash and then re-use the jars for storing food etc. Now, I thought that you weren't supposed to do that - re-use fragranced candle jars for food stuffs? I know you certainly can't with the Yankee ones due to the wax/fragrances etc.

Pipa has just suggested you take one of the milk bottle style candles and after you've used it turn it into the family gravy boat - and have two, one at each end of the table!:mysmilie_11::mysmilie_17: ....:D

Maybe it's because they are soy wax which is more "natural" than the paraffin based wax of the Yankee candles. I know soy wax is very easy to wash out (dissolves in hot soapy water) rather than parrafin wax, which can be harder to shift.

Tempted to try these myself, but really don't need any more candles!

Maybe it's because they are soy wax which is more "natural" than the paraffin based wax of the Yankee candles. I know soy wax is very easy to wash out (dissolves in hot soapy water) rather than parrafin wax, which can be harder to shift.

Tempted to try these myself, but really don't need any more candles!

Aahhhhh! *penny drops*:mysmilie_81:that'll be it then!

I still wouldn't fancy using one as a gravy boat though ;)

I don't want vanilla tinged gravy!!:mysmilie_17:

By the way - only caught part of the hour and was quite interested in the "wickless candles". What are they? The website describes using a "UL approved electric warmer" but what's that? How were they described on air?

Reviews on the website don't seem particularly positive, but I'm curious!:mysmilie_687:

DD bought one of these for me at Christmas. She was so disappointed when there was virtually no fragrance from it. They look nice but burn very quickly, don't smell of anything unless you stick your nose right in the jar and they're very expensive. Don't waste your money.

oops already went for them! Oh well.

On another note I find the Yankee candles different, been using them for years but find some fragrances seem different...also I find I get so much smoke from them. I trim them etc but still they just are not what they used to be.

I don't want vanilla tinged gravy!!:mysmilie_17:

By the way - only caught part of the hour and was quite interested in the "wickless candles". What are they? The website describes using a "UL approved electric warmer" but what's that? How were they described on air?

Reviews on the website don't seem particularly positive, but I'm curious!:mysmilie_687:

I think he said they just give out a subtle fragrance but more if you put them on a radiator ! Pipa also said put them in the window in the sun, which makes sense or you;d always have to have the bliddy heating on ! They don't evaporate I guess they just lose their fragrance. ( if they had any, by the remarks on here, whihc is a shame as I ordered the try me !)

I had to switch off, that bloke's voice got on my nerves.

Linda :mysmilie_697:

he was a geordie last time he was on i'm sure. now he has a ridiculous midlantic drawl.

i found the range twee. candles in milk bottles??

oops already went for them! Oh well.

On another note I find the Yankee candles different, been using them for years but find some fragrances seem different...also I find I get so much smoke from them. I trim them etc but still they just are not what they used to be.

I'm glad I'm not the only who has had trouble with recent purchases of Yankee candles. The smoke and blackening of the jar has been awful in spite of keeping the wick trimmed very carefully and there has been a very definite odour of paraffin wax. They are certainly not the quality they used to be.

what I found interesting was when Pippa said you would not want to have candles around with small children, but have the wickless candles on radiators was fine, a much better alternative.
Not sure I agree with her at all, can you imagine the mess everywhere? Or the trip to A&E when they drunk it?? Maybe my children were just little rescals:mysmilie_17:

I'm glad I'm not the only who has had trouble with recent purchases of Yankee candles. The smoke and blackening of the jar has been awful in spite of keeping the wick trimmed very carefully and there has been a very definite odour of paraffin wax. They are certainly not the quality they used to be.

I have this all the time with the jars. It makes me laugh because sometimes Michaela Lee presents one and says this shouldn't happen if you trim your wicks. I do and still I get blackening.

I am glad it's not just me who has noticed the problem with the Yankee Candles. The jars do often blacken and I hate the odour of paraffin wax. Members of my family have also commented on how unpleasant it is which defeats the point of burning the candle. That is why I will be buying wax tarts in future instead of the large jars.

I much prefer these to the Yankee Candles which - no matter what you do - always burn unevenly and leave black soot around the inside edge of the jar. Milkhouse burn evenly and don't require the kind of fussing around with that Yankee tell you to do 'for best results' which never are best...

The Milkhouse also have a much less sickly smell than Yankee...some Yankee fragrances are little better than those awful gel things they stick in the Ladies loos at bars.

As you can see, I'm a convert to Milkhouse Creamery!

dd

Received these today. Am so impressed! The scents are mouth watering bake house style and scent the room but not in a overpowering way. I have tried the Praline one and my OH thought I had been baking when he came in!

The vanilla one is quite subtle, a true vanilla, the apple one is lovely and the lemon cheesecake one is absolutely delicious! :mysmilie_374:

The wax melts across the whole candle leaving a lovely scent. So very impressed so far! If you are waiting for this try me..enjoy! :mysmilie_696:

I have bought Yankee candles in the past, but with the recession and all that, I'm really reluctant to spend loads of money on candles, especially because I've had tunnelling and blackening problems with Yankee candles in the past. My daughter is still in nappies, so I do feel I need to have scented candles, so I've been buying Sainsbury's own candles and I must say they're absolutely excellent. It's roughly a fiver for a large pillar candle, the smell is really strong and it burns forever.

The soy candles have terrible reviews on QVCUK.com so I'm not tempted at all, and like I said I just think Yankee candles are way overpriced these days.

he was a geordie last time he was on i'm sure. now he has a ridiculous midlantic drawl.

i found the range twee. candles in milk bottles??

The guest had pretty much the same accent at least the first time he was on. He said he had lived in the States for several years prior to coming back.

Latest posts

Back