Think Yankee Candles may just have lost one of their best customers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lucy-loo

Registered Shopper
I have been buying Yankee Candles for years, amd like lots more people I do have a stock pile, but just lately the fragrances seem to be not as gooid, plus I hate the smell when you blow them out and the smoke,

So I have decided to give the milkhouse creamery a try, I ordered from them last Wednesday, and someone called Alfie sent me a lovely email thanking me for my order and saying it was being sent that day.

They arrived on Saturday and they are beautiful, they smell lovely, and no smoke because they are Pure soy and beeswax, I ordered the march offer which is on the webb site it was £34, postage was just 99p I got three milk bottles which are lovely, and three glass jars and a couple of samples, I even got a hand written card from Alfie again, just going to email back and see if he makes wax tarts

So up to now I am very happy with them, so doubt I will be buying any more from Yankee or QVC, well maybe QVC will listen and have a milk house TSV

http://www.milkhousecreamery.co.uk/

I still love my Yankees but I am really liking the Milkhouse ones. I like the very clean burn and the colour of the flame - which seems softer somehow. I have to say that when QVC started selling the soy-based Hanna's candles I did like them, but found that they certainly did not burn with a clean flame and got very sooty so was concerned that the Milkhouse, which have both soya and beeswax would do the same - and yet they don't. They also solidify more quickly after extinguishing which is a plus and I have read that beeswax candles can actually reduce airborne pollutants!

I love Yankee Candles, but don't buy them from QVC any longer unless they are doing a super-dooper deal. When I do buy the odd one here and there, it's from a shop near London Bridge, otherwise I actually make my own soy beeswax candles! I started making them as a hobby a few years ago, then learnt to do them properly and got all the gear etc, so now I just make them myself and for family etc. I would definately give the Milkhouse ones a go though, just to see what they're like.

I might give the milkhouse ones a go. Yankee have changed some of their formulas and now give me migraines.

I might give the milkhouse ones a go. Yankee have changed some of their formulas and now give me migraines.

I find that as well the smells seem to be very overpowering, I seem to light a candle, then cant stand the smell and haved to blow it out, then you get the smoke and worse smell

These creamery ones seem much more suttle, plus they are all a nice cream colour obviously, so will go in any room,

Last edited:
Thank-you for this thread...I am not a big yankee fan...I have bought one of their sets as I thought they looked pretty but I do not like all the smoke from when you blow it out...I have tried to make my own and will continue to do so, but it is great to have new ideas from a place like this...I have placed an order and I am very excited about receiving it!!!

Thank-you for this thread...I am not a big yankee fan...I have bought one of their sets as I thought they looked pretty but I do not like all the smoke from when you blow it out...I have tried to make my own and will continue to do so, but it is great to have new ideas from a place like this...I have placed an order and I am very excited about receiving it!!!

You will love them and they are so well packed I couldn't get in to mine, what did you go for,it will be nice to hear what the fragrances are like, I went for the March offer so i could try few, the fireside is beautiful, and the lemon cheesecake, the only one I'm not that keen on is the hazlenut, smells a bit spicy and I dont like spicy candle smells.

I went for the loaf dish candle in pear (expensive but i intend to make other candles in it assuage my guilt!)...the four glasses in lemon cheesecake and one of the kitchen jars in vanilla....the postage costs are v reasonable, especially compared to qvc, and i am dreading liking them too much as i think i will be buying a lot from them!!!

Thank-you for posting about them...i would never have bought if it had not been for your thread!!!!

the best way to extinguish the candles is to put the lid on the jar and leave it on until you need to light them again.

i also use the shades as they collect the huge amount of soot that leaves a mess on the ceilings.

finding the new frgrances really insipid now with no real fragrancing and they love discontinuing the nice ones....

Thanks to you lot I went on the Milkhouse website and now have a pomegranate candle winging it's way to me! Got an e-mail from Alfie this morning too thanking me for my order and saying he was parcelling it up to post which i thought was a nice touch. I hope I like these, my local stockist of Yankee no longer stocks them and I was paying a fiver a pop for mediocre candles from Waitrose (gorgeous smell but burned right down the middle).

Tx

Thanks to you lot I went on the Milkhouse website and now have a pomegranate candle winging it's way to me! Got an e-mail from Alfie this morning too thanking me for my order and saying he was parcelling it up to post which i thought was a nice touch. I hope I like these, my local stockist of Yankee no longer stocks them and I was paying a fiver a pop for mediocre candles from Waitrose (gorgeous smell but burned right down the middle).

Tx

Hope you like it, I've just moved a yankee one I burnt last night, I'm trying to use them up, I had it on top of the fireplace and now theres a great big sooty black mark on my wall paper, I'm sure this never used to happen.

I do like candles, instead of the synthetic air fresheners, but after this no more Yankee for me, going to see what else I can get from Milkhouse

Cant beat Darls Tarts

To be honest i think both yankee and milk house candles are lush but just so expensive so i always use darls tarts as i like to fragrance everyroom. I find the fragrances so much nicer than yankee candles, much more interesting and complex and much stronger. But i guess it personal choice. I believe you can find darls tarts under outlets on his website . A 50p a tart and a massive choice list you can t go wrong .

Well, just to report back I quite like the Pomegranate candle! It's not very strong but I think that's a good thing, it burned very evenly as long as I kept the wick trimmed and no gross sooty stains as far as I can see! I've ordered the grapefruit one next, hopefully it'll be a little bit stronger than the pomegranate. The 99p P&P is hard to beat also.

I find that as well the smells seem to be very overpowering, I seem to light a candle, then cant stand the smell and haved to blow it out, then you get the smoke and worse smell

These creamery ones seem much more suttle, plus they are all a nice cream colour obviously, so will go in any room,

Yes, I am so glad I am not the only one. Baby Powder used to always be on the go in my house, but I noticed I was getting a heck of a lot of migraines, real humdingers as well and it wasn't until I sat down and thought about it, everytime I was burning Baby Powder my head was banging. I seem to be okay with the Yankee 'foodie' scents, like vanilla & the cupcake one (can't remember exact names), but anything else I can forget it! I tried Evening Air in a tart the other day there, it was on for all of about 15 minutes and I had to blow the tealight out, open all the windows and take the dog for a walk until it cleared! It was like really, really bad aftershave too. *shudder*

I prefer the Woodwick candles to Milkhouse. They're a little cheaper, last for much longer and are also made from soy wax so don't smoke or smell of paraffin. Scentedcandleshop sells them.

i hace a twin wick yankee candle called water garden. this is the second time ihave bought it.

the first time was o.k burned beautifully no excessive smoking. this 2 wick one is a nightmare. the shade needs to be washed every single day as it is several mm thick with soot!:sweat:

Yankee candles have gone down hill IMHO I have lit several recently thta just have little or no scent and they have tunneled and smoked , Im using Darls tarts from now on

I've noticed my recent Yankee Candles leave black soot around the edge of the jar too. I don't remember this happening previously.

Latest posts

Back