Four whole months!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

silversequin

Registered Shopper
yes, four whole months without a single purchase from QVC. I am so proud of myself. I found Rainbow Dottie's thread "My love affair with QVC is over" so thought provoking that I had a long hard look at my spending, the reasons behind it and which of my many purchases had given me any lasting use or pleasure. Then I forced myself to add in the p and p before "jumping" to the phone and the combination of these tactics has stopped my spending it its tracks. Will I make it through another month? I don't know, but I hope so as tho I still watch and of course visit this fab forum regularly I do not seem to miss the transient buzz I used to get from shopping with QVC.

Good on ya girl! That really is good going. I'm waiting for a new skincare tsv - maybe gatineau, but no sign of it yet on the schedule. Unless I buy carefully and with a lot of thought I find I'm disappointed when the parcel arrives. You get sucked into the 'dream' and just end up with an impersonal box chucked at you by the postie with a few bits rattling around inside. Maybe I'm just boring and too cautious but it works for me!

That's fantastic! I do think shopping can be so addictive, especially when it's so easy by just pressing a button. I am currently trying to break an e bay habit so you have given me hope!

Can really relate to what you said Bea Frugal, about the 'empty' feeling when purchases arrive. I don't get this if I have planned what I want to buy within my budget, but impulse buys seem to produce that feeling the most, probably because, as you say, we have been sucked into 'the dream' whether it be of a perfect skin, home, wardrobe etc!

it was the "empty feeling" that made me stop, I began to find that I wasn't even getting the "high", just tearing open the package and feeling it was just more stuff that I could not really affiord, did not really need, and often ended up in the back of a drawer. That is not to say I have not had some lovely things, the solar lights in my back yard are lovely but I have then gone on and got another set cheaper and even better from Amazon. I guess the lesson for me is to really want and need what I am planning to buy, to shop around and to keep reminding myself that shopping will not make me a better or a happier person

Yes - this really rings a bell. I'm trying to break my QVC habit. I used to kid myself that I was saving money on beauty products but I'm actually spending more than I used to do on the high street.

Well done SS - you've done better than me!! since my post I've bought 1 kipling bag and the steam iron the other day.loving both without the guilt - as I feel "freedom" from QVC XXXXX

I'm a newbie and I'm glad I found this forum. This thread has given me inspiration. I thought I was alone in my addiction but I'm going to break the cycle. Only buy what you need!

I'm a newbie and I'm glad I found this forum. This thread has given me inspiration. I thought I was alone in my addiction but I'm going to break the cycle. Only buy what you need!

Eheheh, same here but I don't feel like addicted... but my mom sure is, I'll show her this topic :)

Just bought the Ojon TSV and the 2 minute miracle mask. Then I have just been on line to check my credit card statement and wish I could cancel them. I am going to make a list of all my purchases this year to date, then check how many of them I have actually used.
Can you keep this thread going, it may help me with my obvious addiction.

what also helped me was logging on to my QVC account and totting up all the p and p charges, truly horrifying, £2.95 here and then £3 45 there (and these are the smaller amounts, quite why it costs nearly £6 to send out a bracelet is beyond me), this gave me a reality check. When I was in the throes of my addiction, I mentally blanked out the p and p. Then I started to ask myself if other distance sellers can offer free p and p or one standard charge why shop with QVC unless they are offering me something that I really want and cannot get elsewhere. Works for me anyway.

!

WELL DONE to everyone who is beating their addiction. I haven't brought anything for about 7 months. Still watch when there's nothing else on TV but have realised I can buy most of the stuff they sell online alot cheaper. Until QVC lower their P&P, change their policy by charging one P&P for as many orders per day or bring us great things that we can't buy anywhere else then I still ain't buying!

Just one purchase here since Feb (Elemis TSV) having read Rainbowdottie's original post and that purchase was planned and considered. It really can be an addiction. Someone (sorry I can't remember who it was) said that they started to do Sudoku puzzles to take their mind off it and that worked for them. I now watch very little live QVC as I find as soon as I do so, I see something I want! Some of their products are great, and the beauty TSVs are often very tempting, but how often would you go into a shop in town and spend £39 or so on impulse? I don't think you would if you had to hand over the cash. So before making that purchase, picture yourself in a shop, getting actual cash out of your purse and it leaving you with little in there. Do you still want to buy it? If you do, go ahead and make the purchase. If you don't, then why buy from QVC, paying p&p on the top?

I've bought far less from QVC since reading the F.A.R.T.ing thread, but I did succumb to a couple of Charlie Bears (Fuddy and Peanut, who's a 7" mini mo bear and my favourite out of all the bears I've got. :bear: :heart:) I also thought I'd give the Gatineau Age Benefit a try but I had to go on Waitlist for it. In the meantime I found it in stock on another site and it was cheaper and I also got a firming throat gel 'thrown in' for free, so that was a bargain! When it arrived I rang QVC and cancelled my waitlist order.

I will admit I was addicted to TV shopping when I first got Freeview, but my debit card is less active now. :angel: I gave up smoking 18 months ago, so I reckoned that if I can break that habit then I could break the habit of stockpiling stuff I don't really need and also my gullibility in falling for all their sales patter ...... and I've got this forum to thank for getting me back on track. :wink:

Just one purchase here since Feb (Elemis TSV) having read Rainbowdottie's original post and that purchase was planned and considered. It really can be an addiction. Someone (sorry I can't remember who it was) said that they started to do Sudoku puzzles to take their mind off it and that worked for them. I now watch very little live QVC as I find as soon as I do so, I see something I want! Some of their products are great, and the beauty TSVs are often very tempting, but how often would you go into a shop in town and spend £39 or so on impulse? I don't think you would if you had to hand over the cash. So before making that purchase, picture yourself in a shop, getting actual cash out of your purse and it leaving you with little in there. Do you still want to buy it? If you do, go ahead and make the purchase. If you don't, then why buy from QVC, paying p&p on the top?

I have to be honest this is what I do now.when I go out to the shops (which is very rare) even if I buy one thing at £20,I think even thats too much and I don't buy anything else.I pick up lots of things in shops - look at the price - and put them back :happy: and am normally horrified at the price :dull:

I think I used to get really sucked into qvc.I have the ability to pick up and put down in a shop - because A) I can feel it,touch it,look at what I get,is is good value for money and B) because there isn't someone standing there talking about it for 10 minutes and all its advantages,talking me into it.

I bought 4 items since New Year, two were returned straight away, I kept one (Tiffany lamp) and only wanted part of the fourth, so sold the redundant part on ebay last weekend :happy:
I have no intention of watching or buying anything, although I do check the website for the TSV details if it's something interesting.

Latest posts

Back