Stockpiling

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My Mum had a stockpile that beggard belief! But she too has seen the light and is working through her stash. On a slightly controversial note, I did have a bit of a stockpile and it has come in really useful when times have been lean, ie having something in the cupboard I could give as a present, running out of cleanser and having no money to buy any more etc. So I don't feel so bad to stock up when times are good. I know some would say put the money in the bank and save it up. But I know the kids would need something desperately or an unexpected big bill would come in and I would have nothing left in the kitty for me! Or am I just deluding myself again. I do always make sure the bills are paid and all the family are sorted before I indulge.

I did wonder if my habit is because skin care, nail polish and make up doesn't make you feel fat in the same way clothes shopping can. I know it does for me and I am a 12/14 and if the shop is a silly designer shop a 16:headbang:

Glad I started this thread - I don't feel so bad now. My stockpile fits into one wide drawer and I do use all of the products from start to finish, so nothing goes to waste. I agree with the above comments - I am a size 16 and can really only find nice, good quality clothes in M&S. I think that's why I love beauty so much. I find using good quality products very therapeutic because they usually smell gorgeous. I restrict my purchases to TSVs and only then if there is something in them that I really want or a product that I'm about to run out of. I used to buy very expensive ranges on the high street where one product would cost as much as one TSV with 5 or 6 items (including the P&P). I wouldn't dream of doing that now. I also like the opportunity to try different ranges and I have found some absolute treasures along the way. Also, there is no snooty 20 year old on a counter sneering at my menopausal skin (just AY screeching but you can always turn the sound down on her). After years of wearing Chanel perfume (which I didn't particularly like) I have discovered the joys of the Graces and Tova for a fraction of the cost. I save Tova for the weekend because it is a bit heady for work and I look forward to wallowing in it each week.

I have used up loads of my stockpile and feel mentally much lighter for it. The only things I am going to miss is Decleor Neroli face oil as my skin does love it and I don't know a cheaper alternative (maybe there isn't one!) I got it on a 3 easy pay. Perhaps will trawl the net for other sellers. The problems with TSVs for me are all the other stuff you don't want that they fling in and the tiddly little sample things that just clutter up my bathroom and seem to reproach me with their mere prescence,mocking my rash spending

:hi: Controlled stockpiling is what I try to aim for. My stockpile got me through when Hubby was out of work for nine months and money was tight, but I also found it a chore to use up products that I had "moved on" from and didn't really rate any more.

Ciociaria I think you're onto something about the beauty counter girls making people feel unwelcome. I've definitely felt at times that the member of staff serving me would rather be helping someone younger and more "on trend". (and slimmer!) QVC is genius in that respect because it is inclusive of all ages and sizes.

The Sunday Time Beauty Awards is out today and according to that only 4% of us spend more than £1000 a year on beauty inc salon treatments, and 23% of us spend only between £100 and £250 a year. :eek:

If you have any hair and beauty treatments at all I think even £1000 would disappear fast!

Do you think people delude themselves about how much they spend? My son and my mother in law would both tell you that don't spend any money at all on beauty treatments and products - but since I do their shopping and book their hair appointments I can tell you they both spend more than £250 a year!

Regular haircuts, and basic haircare bath and body products that almost everybody uses - such as shampoo, conditioner, facewash, shower gel, bubble bath, hairstyling products, sunscreen, aftersun, hand cream, body lotion, facial moisturiser, talc, deodorant, perfume etc - can really add up.

Pre - unemployment and Forumites Against Reckless TSV Spending I know I used to spend £3000 a year on Beauty :eek: but that included £120 every 8 weeks for cut and colour, (£780) £84 a month for waxing, (£1008) £22 a month for eyebrow and eyelash tinting (£264) - plus the occasional facial (£60) or massage (£40) for a treat, or a manicure (£25) and pedicure (£31) for special occasions.

Most of my friends and colleagures did all that and more - so I never felt that it was excessive. Where I worked at the time having "lunch" at the nail bar once or twice a week, and weekly sunbeds or fake tan treatments was pretty much the norm.

These days I do it all myself except for haircuts which cost me about £280 a year. (But as I said earlier, large chunks of my "me" money goes on Beauty TSVs!)

I have 3 shallow boxes under the bed full of things I have ordered to put away
to be honest a lot of it I use for gifts but some of the things I keep for myself
the tsvs I usually go for are yankee, l'occitane and Liz Earle,I have enough l'occitane to open my own store,my family all love it including my mum, 2 sister in laws, an aunt and a cousin and two friends so I am never short of people to give it to,I usually break the tsvs up and select what I am giving,making up my own' sets 'as some people like certain things and some like others
I did this at Christmas and I ddint need to buy much as I had most gifts in already
however I do realise I am lucky in that I can do this,if I didnt have a job it would stop immediately
some things I have bought also from boots and saved for pressies so its a more affordable way to shop
I have got l'occitane tsv and yankee on auto delivery so some of those will do for Christmas
I know its early to mention it but having a big family means having to be organised well in advance !

can't believe that about a £250 spend, I stocked up in Boots recently, bought shampoo and conditioner, sunblock, cleanser, body wash, deoderant, cotton wool pads, fake tan and it came in at £63. I had not bought from posh ranges and I also got a 3 for 2 offer. Still think what it would have cost me on QVC, hmm think I may pop on their website and do a little comparison. This is about 2-3 months of stuff and did not include things like hair removal cream, moisturiser, hand cream so I dread to think what I spend even as a now non TSV buying person.

can't believe that about a £250 spend, I stocked up in Boots recently, bought shampoo and conditioner, sunblock, cleanser, body wash, deoderant, cotton wool pads, fake tan and it came in at £63. I had not bought from posh ranges and I also got a 3 for 2 offer. Still think what it would have cost me on QVC, hmm think I may pop on their website and do a little comparison. This is about 2-3 months of stuff and did not include things like hair removal cream, moisturiser, hand cream so I dread to think what I spend even as a now non TSV buying person.

:hi: I know! I never get out of Boots without spending at least £40 and it's never on anything exciting. Just hairdye, toothpaste, mouthwash, hair removal supplies, cottonbuds and cotton wool, Astral for MIL, foot cream for hubby, etc. It always seems as if I do that every few weeks. :eek:

At least they have the Advantage Card, they certainly take advantage of me!! Don't find Superdrug any cheaper really, nor Asda, guess it is just the way things are. Still an equivalant shop on QVC of say shampoo, conditioner, sunblock, face cream and cleanser and a bath foam would surely be about £70?

My sister has been discovering what it is like to live in the real world and not one where Mum & Dad pay for everything other than trendy clothes, nights out & beer money! (She is just a year out of uni) She has really struggled and has for every B-day and xmas has asked for toiletries. She was surprised to find how much just basics eg shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste etc can dent the weely budget. Not to mention cleaning stuff! Bless.

I must confess it has been a little amusing to see her amazement at how much stuff costs and how quickly your wages disappear, (I have been dealing with this for 10 years and had a baby to feed, clothe) but I have always treated her when she comes home, with stuff from the stash and I know my Mum has done the same. It is all part of growing up but I do remember going shopping with my aunt and when she unexpectantly and totally unasked for paid for my weekly shop, I nearly cried with gratitude.

Back on topic: The only place I used to find a bargain toiletry wise was Wilkinson, Boots can be quite expensive.

ooh thanks for reminding me about Wilko, they've done it up recently too. I love it for gardening stuff (Richard Jackson eat your heart out) and house bits. Will check out the toiletries next time I out on the dreaded high street.

Latest posts

Back