Julia Robert's racist comment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The fact that Julia made her little quip without thinking is exactly the point.

We once used words like '******', 'spastic', 'darkie', 'Jewboy', 'pansy', 'Chink' as parts of normal speech. We wouldn't bring them out in polite society these days, because we understand that they subtly encapsulate a patronising, derogatory dismissal of a group of people.

We know that now because we have been 'encouraged' to give it some thought.

That's why PC-ness is such a burden - we're forced to think before we speak, when it would be so much easier not to have to do that work.

Much fewer of us would bother, I suspect, if we didn't have a constant example in front of us - the media. People on television are enormously careful in what they say, and gradually the habit sinks into the viewer and eventually we're surprised to hear a nicely spoken person say 'nignog'.

The Irish joke is old and worn out. What's troubling is the fact that, in an attempt to deflect blame, Julia reached for a weapon that should have had many alarm bells ringing in her mind. She's not a drunk slouched in a doorway (yet); she's a media presenter who's being listened to, live, by hundreds of thousands. And, having made an error of judgement, a professional presenter should have apologised properly and fully, which she didn't.

Yes, the entire show disappeared as far as QVC videos were concerned. I would be surprised if Julia didn't spend some time in a manager's office, without tea and biscuits.

Totally agree - could you imagine the outrage if she had said woman, Muslim or Gay instead of Irish. Logically why then is it acceptable to say Irish? In my book it isn't.

Latest posts

Back