Julia Robert's racist comment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've noticed that the people who tell you to 'lighten up' are not usually the people who are the subject of the demeaning 'joke'.

Making a point about differences needs a very skilled touch to be humorous rather than insulting. Julia isn't Michael McIntyre, that's for sure.

I've noticed that the people who tell you to 'lighten up' are not usually the people who are the subject of the demeaning 'joke'.

Making a point about differences needs a very skilled touch to be humorous rather than insulting. Julia isn't Michael McIntyre, that's for sure.

you've just put 2 and 2 together...:wink: if you interact with people with a chip on your shoulder, you make yourself a target.

IMO, there is nothing skillful about MM either.

Your all talking about an hour I missed seeing, was Julia working yesterday ?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought when she was last on, she said she was off till the end of the week.
Did she make a comment and then when told to say sorry to those she had upset, made a comment that they shouldn't be ?
If possible could some kind person PM me with what happened.

:flower:

Last edited:
Many people have never been on any equal opportunities training or had lifestyles were their awareness of these sorts of issues is increased much. I can forgive their lack of PC much more readily than I can trained broadcasters, who are fully aware of why national stereotyping is wholly inappropriate.

I could get reprimanded in my lowly job if I used the sort of comment Julia used and a defense that the person/persons I had offended needed to 'lighten up' would only fan the flames and get me into a whole lot of extra trouble.

Your all talking about an hour I missed seeing, was Julia working yesterday ?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought when she was last on, she said she was off till the end of the week.
Did she make a comment and then when told to say sorry to those she had upset, made a comment that they shouldn't be ?
If possible could some kind person PM me with what happened.

I think the comment was made on Friday not yesterday.

But JR didn't tell anyone to lighten up did she?? I did though, because the whole thing is getting completely out of hand on here and far too many people are being far too pc for their own peace of mind. Chill. :flower:

I think the comment was made on Friday not yesterday.

:envy:

That would be when I was with Ben (the dog) whilst the Virgin Media guy was with hubby trying to sort us a non faulty replacement box.

But JR didn't tell anyone to lighten up did she?? I did though, because the whole thing is getting completely out of hand on here and far too many people are being far too pc for their own peace of mind. Chill. :flower:

Does everyone who's commenting know just what happened ?

My interpretation of this...people have all sorts of prejudice against JR and they lurk for the opportunity to have a pop at her (rightly or wrongly).

you can't take back stupid!

When we first moved to Sussex from Lancashire my husband was told in his appraisal that his staff had taken a while to adjust to his Northern directness! He challenged his boss to remove this comment and the bloke blanched at the suggestion that he'd made a racist/ regionist comment! DH was kinda joking about challenging this but pointed out that had he called his staff "soft southerners" or similar he'd be hauled over the coals. The comment was removed from his appraisal and rightly so. He certainly has a blunt and direct management style but I can't tell whether that's northernness; no one can.

I hope Julia has learnt her lesson and thinks before she speaks.

As Dr Phil says, "You can't take back stupid!"

Jude xx

I can't believe some of the diatribes written on here about something quite trivial. I think 'racial abuse' is made worse than it really is by people who blow it out of all proportion. Good grief why can't people take these remarks in the way they are intended and not make so much fuss about it. So did you hear the one about the English man the Scotsman and the Irish man who went on holiday to Wales???????

Goods grief, another one who needs to lighten up. :talking:

Honest question, if she had said about the person who made the boo boo, "has MS bless him" would you think it's ok?
Possibly you would be fine about it and good luck to you for being so tough, just not everyone is.
A visitor to our home when I was at school referred to me as a half caste. I was by my standards brave enough to say I didn't like the term and was just told that's what you are. I can still remember feeling so humiliated that my damn parents let her away with it. Now I wouldn't be so hurt but it always gets you a bit when casual insults come from out of nowhere.

i'm welsh and whenever someone mentions either sheep or we live in caves i just yawn am so over it never take offence just find it boring i think JR just didn't engage her brain before speaking stupid woman don't think she's racist

I've had the unpleasant experience of being seriously discriminated against twice - firstly when I went to a college interview and was told by the interviewer that the college had had "my sort" there before and because they had caused problems the college would have to think very carefully about accepting me (they did in the end and I turned them down hah) and the other occasion was losing a job I had held for 7 years due to a change of management and a new Head of Dept who decided I suddenly didn't fit in despite there being no problems with my work/any complaints against me (this resulted in an out of court settlement that helped pay for a house I couldn't have otherwise afforded).

Reading about what Julia said, I honestly don't consider her remarks to be racist and no worse than making blonde jokes, mother-in-law jokes, Essex girl jokes etc. Where I work, colleagues banter with each other all time over all sorts of things and I would hate to be part of a culture that was too afraid to have a joke in case it might offend. From my experience, when people want to discriminate, there isn't even a pretence at humour.

What about when she asks people to text in and give their "christian name". I was christened (but don't go to church etc) so I don't mind but surely viewers/customers of other religions or those with no faiths could find this quite rude if not racist.

Linda

I've had the unpleasant experience of being seriously discriminated against twice - firstly when I went to a college interview and was told by the interviewer that the college had had "my sort" there before and because they had caused problems the college would have to think very carefully about accepting me (they did in the end and I turned them down hah) and the other occasion was losing a job I had held for 7 years due to a change of management and a new Head of Dept who decided I suddenly didn't fit in despite there being no problems with my work/any complaints against me (this resulted in an out of court settlement that helped pay for a house I couldn't have otherwise afforded).

Reading about what Julia said, I honestly don't consider her remarks to be racist and no worse than making blonde jokes, mother-in-law jokes, Essex girl jokes etc. Where I work, colleagues banter with each other all time over all sorts of things and I would hate to be part of a culture that was too afraid to have a joke in case it might offend. From my experience, when people want to discriminate, there isn't even a pretence at humour.

I have worked (and still do) in the most arrogant, racist, sexist and ageist professional environment and have been subjected to horrific discrimination on several occasions. I have always maintained focus on my plans and targets and have been very successful as a result. I have also been privileged to work with people from many cultural backgrounds; so, I have developed a skill for brassing discrimination off and get on with it. Once, I travelled to Japan for a business meeting as the director of the company I was representing. I was told I could not attend a meeting with the directors of the company, who had sought our partnership, because my being a woman would offend them!
What JR said was neither racist, nor offensive imo. Surely silly, as is the reaction caused by it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back