Julia Robert's racist comment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

To be honest, JR seemed anything but horrified about it. Mum showed me the moment on a tape she had and Julia was very sarcastic with she "apologised" and basically accused whoever it was who complained of taking themselves too seriously, adding "...anyway, I don't."

I'm of Irish heritage via my father and, whilst I don't take any offence over these sorts of comments, it isn't acceptable to have them aired on national television. My late paternal uncle would have been very very upset to hear something like that, which is why you can't take a chance and should keep it to yourself on air.

As I say, I didn't see the incident and had not realised that Julia had even responded to any criticism of it - or I wouldn't have suggested she was unaware. I am totally against all types of stereotyping etc - we've probably all been on the receiving end of it at some point and there is no excuse - yes, people should know better. I suppose what I meant was that it probably wasn't meant with nasty intent even though several people clearly found it offensive.

I understand that Julia was reprimanded for the comment and told to apologise. The apology was NOT sincere and implied that people were making more of it than they should. I think the wording was "let's not take ourselves too seriously eh?" Let's put the boot on the other foot shall we. A few years ago a particular model - Jo - made a comment about "Julia not being a bad old bird for her age" or something to that effect. Julia's face was a picture - the model made frequent attempts at telling Julia she was only joking but Julia had none of it. The model mysteriously disappeared a while later. Get my gist? If Julia can't take it, she shouldn't be dishing it out and yes, I am from the North and proud of it!

Sorry I don't know how to quote two separate posts when I reply - Moth made a similar point about Julia not being very gracious in her apology. As I said, I didn't see the incident, still don't know what it was she said (so am not commenting on that). And I didn't realise she had been made to apologise and so was, therefore, aware of the offence she had caused. No-one should make comments that offend people and if they do so unintentionally they should immediately apologise.

Honest question, if she had said about the person who made the boo boo, "has MS bless him" would you think it's ok?
Possibly you would be fine about it and good luck to you for being so tough, just not everyone is.
It's a fact so why get upset about it?? If she had said 'you're a Cockney tart with MS' that would be different!! :mysmilie_61:
A visitor to our home when I was at school referred to me as a half caste. I was by my standards brave enough to say I didn't like the term and was just told that's what you are. I can still remember feeling so humiliated that my damn parents let her away with it. Now I wouldn't be so hurt but it always gets you a bit when casual insults come from out of nowhere.
Yes Vampy I remember that term being used commonly when I was a child but thankfully it is rarely heard these days, and rightly so.

If any other presenter on any other channel made a racist comment such as the remark Julia Roberts made about the Irish they would be sacked. Why is she allowed to get away with this. Why is QVC allowed to get away with this.

I liked Julia and enjoyed her shows but will now boycott any shows she is on.

I have Irish friends who found this very insulting.

I will be writing direct to QVC with this complaint.

What did she say?

What about when she asks people to text in and give their "christian name". I was christened (but don't go to church etc) so I don't mind but surely viewers/customers of other religions or those with no faiths could find this quite rude if not racist.

Linda
Don't shoot me down in flames, I'm ever so nice...honest!!!....but until I'd read on here that it was offensive to non Christians, I'd never considered that the term "Christian name" could be offensive.
We are a Christian country surely and to my mind it's more of an historical term than anything offensive. I just can't understand it really.

What about when she asks people to text in and give their "christian name". I was christened (but don't go to church etc) so I don't mind but surely viewers/customers of other religions or those with no faiths could find this quite rude if not racist.

Linda

I am not a christian and when ever I am asked for my christian name I don't pass out or go to a tribunal or stamp my feet in a huff I tell people my bl@@dy name. I have never heard such bunkum. How on earth could this be a racist comment.

I am not a christian and when ever I am asked for my christian name I don't pass out or go to a tribunal or stamp my feet in a huff I tell people my bl@@dy name. I have never heard such bunkum. How on earth could this be a racist comment.
Prepare to be told.....:mysmilie_61:

Nobody said it was racist, it's just very ignorant particularly to faiths that way predate Christianity.
I would hate to be defined in terms of my faith. I don't answer if asked for a religion. I had a woman in a jewellers busting her ass to sell a bracelet with crosses on it as the piece I ordered hadn't turned up and she wanted a sale. I politely said no about 10 times then eventually said I wouldn't find it appropriate to wear the symbol of a faith I am not part of. She looked like 10kgs of codfish back at me and said she has never thought of the cross as a religious symbol. Well worth being the Son of God being crucified and the designer talking about his devotion to the church at every opportunity wasn't it?

I happen to think particularly in public a bit of consideration is a good thing but for the many who think otherwise I just hope I can avoid them.

Don't shoot me down in flames, I'm ever so nice...honest!!!....but until I'd read on here that it was offensive to non Christians, I'd never considered that the term "Christian name" could be offensive.
We are a Christian country surely and to my mind it's more of an historical term than anything offensive. I just can't understand it really.

It will be the same people that have turned Christmas into a "Winter Festival" and won't say blackboard for fear of causing offence.
When I was working, I was the Manager because that's what I did, I managed.Many people told me that I should insist on being referred to as Manageress. I couldn't see the problem. Those that called me manager were not being rude or demeaning or trying to imply that the title was male-orientated, it described what I did.
Some old-fashioned expressions are obviously outmoded and were needful of change, like cripple, spastic and , as Vampy mentioned, Half-caste. Any word can be offensive in the wrong context and by changing the emphasis, where does it all end...........

I was a bit taken aback when I first heard Julia asking people to text in with their Christian names - I'm not Christian, and do not have a Christian name. I think the vast majority of people in this country are not Christian in any real sense.

Similarly, i think "sir" name is a bit sexist - as it is based on the idea that you belong to a male, first your father and then your husband.

What's wrong with "first" name and "last" name?

I think Julia's comment was ignorant and small-minded. She can be a bit full of herself, but IMO she is still the best presenter on QVC by a mile.

Nobody said it was racist, it's just very ignorant particularly to faiths that way predate Christianity.
I would hate to be defined in terms of my faith. I don't answer if asked for a religion. I had a woman in a jewellers busting her ass to sell a bracelet with crosses on it as the piece I ordered hadn't turned up and she wanted a sale. I politely said no about 10 times then eventually said I wouldn't find it appropriate to wear the symbol of a faith I am not part of. She looked like 10kgs of codfish back at me and said she has never thought of the cross as a religious symbol. Well worth being the Son of God being crucified and the designer talking about his devotion to the church at every opportunity wasn't it?

I happen to think particularly in public a bit of consideration is a good thing but for the many who think otherwise I just hope I can avoid them.

I agree, asking for someones Christian name is not racist, it is just rather ignorant.

I do not have a Christian name, I have a First Name and if someone asked me for my Christian name I would reply saying "oh you mean my first name"

Ok, I'll nail my colours to the mast here.I am a Christian (not always a good one but I try my best) I come from generations of strict Methodists,all my family are very involved in our local chapel, my mum cut the cake last week for our Centenary celebrations as the oldest and longest serving member, one of my sisters is a steward, the other one runs the Sundayschool etc, etc
Thank goodness that in our very rural area of Devon the churches still play a major part in our lives. The same people that are in the pub on a Saturday night will be in Chapel on a Sunday morning, it's the way it is and I'm so grateful for it.
I think if anything, Christians in some areas are treated to prejudice as much as any other group in society, the only difference being....WE DON'T CARE !!!:rock::rock:

It will be the same people that have turned Christmas into a "Winter Festival" and won't say blackboard for fear of causing offence.
When I was working, I was the Manager because that's what I did, I managed.Many people told me that I should insist on being referred to as Manageress. I couldn't see the problem. Those that called me manager were not being rude or demeaning or trying to imply that the title was male-orientated, it described what I did.
Some old-fashioned expressions are obviously outmoded and were needful of change, like cripple, spastic and , as Vampy mentioned, Half-caste. Any word can be offensive in the wrong context and by changing the emphasis, where does it all end...........

Two winters ago, Oxford City Council decided not to put up Christmas decorations in the city centre to avoid offending other religions!!!! I got so angry. The same with the offense caused by a BA employee wearing a cross. I am not a practising Christian, but am a Christian and Chr traditions mean 'family' to me. I would take what-could-be-perceived-as-offensive remark any day of the week instead of this irrational, fascist pc culture that has destroyed traditions and human interaction. We have resorted to pc because we have lost common sense.

rant over

Ok, I'll nail my colours to the mast here.I am a Christian (not always a good one but I try my best) I come from generations of strict Methodists,all my family are very involved in our local chapel, my mum cut the cake last week for our Centenary celebrations as the oldest and longest serving member, one of my sisters is a steward, the other one runs the Sundayschool etc, etc
Thank goodness that in our very rural area of Devon the churches still play a major part in our lives. The same people that are in the pub on a Saturday night will be in Chapel on a Sunday morning, it's the way it is and I'm so grateful for it.
I think if anything, Christians in some areas are treated to prejudice as much as any other group in society, the only difference being....WE DON'T CARE !!!:rock::rock:

I am genuinely delighted to read your post. Society is a right mess in many areas and good on you down there in Devon for keeping it all together. :rock:

Thanks Vampy xx It's possibly more a tradition thing than a religious thing for many but it certainly is a good grounding for life in general I find:sun:
Do you know what? If you see any awful event or tragedy that happens in this country, where does everyone flock to- the local church, believers and non-believers alike, we all need something to cling onto. The churches will always be a source of comfort in times of crises and rightly so.
I love the saying "you never see a drowning atheist":sun:

I was a bit taken aback when I first heard Julia asking people to text in with their Christian names - I'm not Christian, and do not have a Christian name. I think the vast majority of people in this country are not Christian in any real sense.

Similarly, i think "sir" name is a bit sexist - as it is based on the idea that you belong to a male, first your father and then your husband.

What's wrong with "first" name and "last" name?

I think Julia's comment was ignorant and small-minded. She can be a bit full of herself, but IMO she is still the best presenter on QVC by a mile.

It's spelt surname, but I've no idea if that means "sir"name, probably does I expect originally :star:

I don't mean to be pedantic but it is surname not 'sir' which maybe old french meaning last or after.
I dont wish to be a man's piece of property either !!! xxx

I am an equally devout Atheist but my values and ethics are far reaching and include what many perceive to be "Christian" teachings as they are about being the best person I can possibly be, never knowingly causing hurt and doing good by stealth. I am not saying this so you'll think I'm admirable in any way but to explain that I have no affiliation to any creed or organisation. If someone asks me for my Christian name, I'm not offended because it's maybe an outdated expression, or because I am not a Christian. Life's too short to get ruffled over something that wasn't intended to cause offence.
I think JR is rude and patronising but I don't consider her 'Irish' remark to be racist. Ill-considered , yes. What is nasty is not that she said it but that her apology was so dismissive. To my mind, if you cause offence, regardless of the intention, then the apology should be heartfelt.

Latest posts

Back