Ugh! Birkensicks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Having wide feet as my caring mother made sure I never was crammed into too tight shoes and just spent yesterday trying to find a pair of flattering sandals for wide feet in every shoe shop in town I say Viva Birkis and Fitflops!

i do not want to see feet exposed, unless its the foot of a petite lady who has had a pedicure and is wearing high heeled sandals so gossamer-fine in their strappiness that they look like something a fairy would go to a disco in.

anyone else - please keep them covered.

for the past 15 years I have worn around the house and in the summer - Jones the Bootmaker Levina model - feminine and fabulously comfy (no toe posts)

They might suit you, but for anyone that suffers from wide feet and/or high insteps they wouldn't be suitable at all. I googled them and they appear to be that dreadful gold patent stuff...can't stand it. Reminds me of women in supermarkets who think they are posh...usually sporting sailor suits and white cut offs.

Some people might find toe posts uncomfortable, but I don't...and I have happily worn toe post sandals for years. Shoe manufacturers rarely cater for those of us not blessed with feet smaller than the average 10 year old, so for us, Birkenstock type sandals are the only answer - "fashionable" or not.

As for keeping feet covered just because we don't have feet that happen to be small and dainty, WELL!! I'm not ramming my poor hot summer feet into some clod hopping coveralls just to suit someone who seems to walk around with their eyes trained to the carpet :wonder:

Last edited:
I have a pair of fit flops on order, I am trying to lose about a stone with slimming world before August and thought I would wear these when I am walking the dog hopefully get double the toning effect from the walking

I did find last year after I had worn them for a whole day that the next day my calves did ache - so they must work on the toning thing a bit.

Adore Birkies, the younger members of staff at work now think I'm cool, my feet are comfy and I think they look great, the prices I think are good (you don't have to pay QVC prices) as they are very well made and last for ages!

They might suit you, but for anyone that suffers from wide feet and/or high insteps they wouldn't be suitable at all. I googled them and they appear to be that dreadful gold patent stuff...can't stand it. Reminds me of women in supermarkets who think they are posh...usually sporting sailor suits and white cut offs.

Some people might find toe posts uncomfortable, but I don't...and I have happily worn toe post sandals for years. Shoe manufacturers rarely cater for those of us not blessed with feet smaller than the average 10 year old, so for us, Birkenstock type sandals are the only answer - "fashionable" or not.

As for keeping feet covered just because we don't have feet that happen to be small and dainty, WELL!! I'm not ramming my poor hot summer feet into some clod hopping coveralls just to suit someone who seems to walk around with their eyes trained to the carpet :wonder:

calm down dear, if i came across you in a supermarket in a sailor suit i wouldnt be looking at your wide feet and high insteps with your big toe separated from the rest of your enourmous foot by a toe-post. i can assure you of that!

Actually, I have picked up many a silver coin by having my eyes on the floor - it can be quite a profitable pastime !!!!

I think it's all about how you wear something. Nothing's ugly if you wear it properly.

I have one pair of Birkis - dark brown Madrids. They're just right for sightseeing in hot weather and look OK worn with three-quarter length linen/neutral trousers. I wouldn't generally wear them in town, or with a skirt, or with long trousers.

And as for Crocs - one pair of those as well. Brilliant for the garden but they don't go past the front door. Well they might be allowed to come on holiday with me this year as they're so lightweight that they won't take up much precious weight in the suitcase and will be great for around the pool (and I have the insular British view that what you wear abroad doesn't count!!)

But just because I find Birkis and Crocs really comfortable doesn't mean that I feel the need to buy more than one pair of each - otherwise I might be tempted to wear them when I shouldn't..........:happy:

I don't think Birkenstocks look too bad, there's so many different colours and styles to choose from, the only problem I have with them is the price, and yes, as ridiculous as it sounds I wouldn't want imitation ones. That's the trouble when a couple of celebrities are papped wearing some particular brand, those who can afford them will go out in their droves and buy them, and then the market literally becomes "flooded" with cheap, often badly made imitations which I don't like to buy tbh. I'd rather find something I've seen and I like not because it's the latest "must have" thing to be seen in.

Uggs are another one, you see these girls traipsing around in cheap, broken down imitations that can't be giving their ankles the support they need. Not so long ago, I was walking behind a young woman, who was almost walking on her ankles because of her stoopid boots!

I've got an amazing looking pair of Birkis, they're the brightest silver, holographic material clogs, really, really ott! I like bright footwear but even I can't quite bring myself to wear them in public, so they lay unworn and sad in my cupboard. But guess what? You've made me renew my interest in them so I'm off to give them an airing:sun: I do find them very uncomfortable too but I'll persevere:happy:

Latest posts

Back