SPF Factor. Argh!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbedwire

Registered Shopper
OK - this is a little thing but it is annoying me. It's not just AY that does this, but a lot of the presenters. When talking about SPFs, they keep referring to them as SPF Factors. They're SPFs not Sun Protection Factor Factors. The F stands for Factor, you don't need to say it twice. Argh. :whew:

This does my head in :bandit:. Can no-one speak properly at QVC Towers? Meh.

I'm going to boil my head now. :giggle:

I had a similar reaction a couple of weeks ago when AY was presenting an item priced as so many pounds and one penny (e.g. £36.01). She kept saying one pence, but obviously pence is plural of penny, so it should be one penny.

By the end of the show I was screeching at the telly, but she was screeching louder so could not hear me !

Linda :confused:

OK - this is a little thing but it is annoying me. It's not just AY that does this, but a lot of the presenters. When talking about SPFs, they keep referring to them as SPF Factors. They're SPFs not Sun Protection Factor Factors. The F stands for Factor, you don't need to say it twice. Argh. :whew:

This does my head in :bandit:. Can no-one speak properly at QVC Towers? Meh.

I'm going to boil my head now. :giggle:

Like PIN numbers (Personal Identification Number numbers)? :confused:

I'll join you in the head boiling, if I may. :wink:

Ooh no, I'll be seeing that every time now and it will irritate me! The other thing that annoys me with AY ( well one more) is she's started saying pure as pyoo-wer much more pronounced than she used to and she always says 'mebbe' for maybe.

Ooh no, I'll be seeing that every time now and it will irritate me! The other thing that annoys me with AY ( well one more) is she's started saying pure as pyoo-wer much more pronounced than she used to and she always says 'mebbe' for maybe.

Olivia, apparently AY is originally from the Darlington area & unfortunately, that's how we talk in this area. Southerners can't always seem to understand me, I have to put my posh voice on sometimes so I can get my point over, lol!:giggle:

Olivia, apparently AY is originally from the Darlington area & unfortunately, that's how we talk in this area. Southerners can't always seem to understand me, I have to put my posh voice on sometimes so I can get my point over, lol!:giggle:

Never say unfortunately about an accent! I LOVE that we have different accents - and they can be so different just a few miles apart, can't they. I'm from Derby, which as a different accent to Nottingham & a different one from the rest of the county (which itself has about 3 variations), although I have to say most of us city dwellers get broader when we leave the confines of Derby & head north! And, by the way, for anyone seeing Russell Crowe's attempt at a "midlands accent" - whatever that is ... he is right about the flat vowels, but not about the Irish lilt! I did used to have a neighbour who sounded a bit like that but she was born in Limerick and only moved to this area as an adult!
I think people are much more educated about accents these days and I think one of the biggest obstacles to overcome with a different accent is the speed, or rather pace, of it.

Latest posts

Back