Why Smashbox sell 'exclusively' on QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I actually remember the brand hitting the UK in the late 90s. We had a counter in Debenhams Belfast and I being a cosmetic junkie was drawn to it. The trouble was the counter was small and as the SA said no one really knows it. Stayed in my Debenhams for a year before it closed down. The SA worked really hard on the counter, but Benefit and MAC were all singing and dancing at their counters. It was a few years after that when it appeared on QVC UK.

Oh and don't forget Disney massive anti semite. Even today there are rumours about the Disney company and the way the do business.

Chanel was a Nazi.

The Daily Mail adored Hitler until war actually broke out. People today still call it The Daily Heil.

Last edited:
I'm very shocked to read that - and the public comments made afterwards. I'm feeling a bit sick about how much money I've spent on Smashbox right now. :puke:

I agree that it's hard to know who to trust - so I have The List. If I read that a company or individual associated with a company do something disgusting then I add the company to The List and I don't buy from them again. I can't know everything - but once I know, that's it.

Economic power is the only real vote we have, so I vote with my £££.

Thank-you for this thread.

I agree that it is so difficult to decide how and where to spend your money as often it appears that everyone is as bad as each other. I have found myself moving more and more towards "greener" products which I feel tend to be more fairly priced and have more ethical considerations. However, there are many of them that appear to be much cleaner and ethical than they suggest.

I think everyone has to make their own minds up on a subject like this, and information is power. I love the fact that the UK cosmetics industry made such a stance on the subject (which says to me that even if there were not the legal battle at least the PA got some support from the industry she was in)

I absolutely agree with Love A'Kin that our power as an individual rests with our how and where we choose to spend. I personally will have no problem not using Smashbox ever again and avoiding the Max factor products as a whole. While I do not think many other ranges are as ethical as I would like, I feel I have no excuse for supporting a company that I know has such an unsavoury history.

On a final note, I am glad that the PA has managed to move past all of this. Good luck to her and her family.

Max Factor as a brand was sold many many years ago, cannot remember who owns it but I know the brand does not exist in the US now. Have an idea it was in the 80s or earlier. Max Factor are owned by the same group who own Covergirl, which disappeared from the UK but still going in the US. Infact some products are made and named differently ie Max Factor in the UK and Europe but Covergirl in the US.

On a positive note though...
PETA (People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals) fully endorse Smashbox. They don't use animal tested products in making their own products which is much better than 'not tested on animals' as that just means the product itself hasn't been tested. For this reason I support the brand.

Exactly, they are not Dennis Basso are they!

I must be the only one who is not really concerned with this. I wouldn't consider not supporting Smashbox because of one unsavoury characters actions.

Exactly, they are not Dennis Basso are they!

I must be the only one who is not really concerned with this. I wouldn't consider not supporting Smashbox because of one unsavoury characters actions.

I am with you choppy. There must be unsavoury characters in all manner of companies. As long as it does not directly affect me then I wouldn't be concerned either.