Starter kits?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tabs

Registered Shopper
Hi Guys, I've decided i want to give making my own jewellery a try, so can anyone suggest a good starter kit? I'll be starting from scratch so any help greatfully received. TYIA :nod:

Hi Tabs, can I suggest you go for some simple shaped beads to start with, it'll be easier for you to thread them in to your design. This is a nice one for an absolute beginner, and not too expensive either. There are also some tutorials on the website to get you started.

If you think you're going to enjoy making and will carry on with it, I'd say go for the larger of the tool kits, as it also contains crimping pliers. When you're a bit more experienced, you'll want to use the crimping pliers and crimp covers as these give a more professional, finished look to a piece.

One of the kits I had to demonstrate was the Smokey Rose, (the other was the Go Green which was 3 different strands of Unakite - but I think it must have sold out) and it was fairly simple, and I made 2 complete sets from it. I preferred not to mix the freeform nuggets with the rose quartz as they look beautiful on their own, and the round smokey quartz sit better with the overlapping rose quartz IMVHO.

This is what I made with the kit, but it was purely to demonstrate what could be made, and of course, you'll want to do your own thing. There was one pair of shepherds hooks in the kit, but enough headpins for you to make another pair quite easily. The freeform nuggets don't have to be threaded in any order, once threaded, they will fall in to their own 'pattern' :nod: If you need any help, just ask Tabs. :up:

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">
</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Both sets are gorgeous, obviously i'm a mere amateur so not sure i could produce something like that easily lol. I thought perhaps the bigger tool kit to start and liked the colours in the smokey rose set. Thinking cap needed i think. If i think of anything else i'll be sure to ask....ty for the offer :))

Hi Tabs,

I started as a cpmplete beginner a few weeks ago and am now hooked! My only regret is that I bought the small tool kit :doh:- I definately agree that you should go for the bigger one.

The other thing I'd recommend you get Tabs is the bead board, I think it's only £1.95 and well worth it. You'll be able to lay out your design on it, and then be able to see what the finished article would look like, and if you don't like it, just move the beads around. It saves lots of time using the board instead of threading and then having to undo it if you don't like it, or wish to try something different. It also has markings around it so you know what the finished length will be.

Ok, just phoned JM to place an order and the large tool kit is out of stock for upto 14 days. Guess my new hobby will have to wait a while.

Latest posts

Back