mm's or ml's ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Baubles

Registered Shopper
Is it my hearing? I'm sure the presenters keep describing the jewellery pieces as so many 'mill's.

Arrgggh Jerrilee has just done it as I type, describing Russian Diopside earrings - '3 mill's, 4 mill's, 5 mill's'.

:thinking: Surely 'mill's' as in ml's//miillitres is a measurment of liquid, not a measurment of length as in mm's/millimetres!

Is there something I'm missing here? Is this a normal way for describing jewellery sizes?

Is it my hearing? I'm sure the presenters keep describing the jewellery pieces as so many 'mill's.

Arrgggh Jerrilee has just done it as I type, describing Russian Diopside earrings - '3 mill's, 4 mill's, 5 mill's'.

:thinking: Surely 'mill's' as in ml's//miillitres is a measurment of liquid, not a measurment of length as in mm's/millimetres!

Is there something I'm missing here? Is this a normal way for describing jewellery sizes?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This drives me crackers and several presenters across the channels do it. I suppose they don't know that this shortened word only applies to the liquid measurement. Another case of using language without understanding it's meaning. There's such a lot of it now, that presenters are beginning to make themselves look poorly educated. I haven't heard anyone use "grammage" though for quite some time, so perhaps the messages slip down the line eventually. xxxxx

I'm glad it's not just me.

I still get very irked and frustrated with the over use and abuse of 'phenomenal' and 'irony/ironic'. Victoria Norris (nee Burton) is the worst offender for this, closely followed by her new clone Vikkie.

Come on Rocks and Co - Buy a dictionary. There are thousands of wondeful words in the English language just waiting to be aired (and heared) in your sales pitch.

Come on Rocks and Co - Buy a dictionary. There are thousands of wondeful words in the English language just waiting to be aired (and heared) in your sales pitch.

Oooops :blush:: I can't find those words in the dictionary. I must learn to spell!
:wink:

It's phenemonal the number of times Bonnie Styles has used the word 'phenominal' in describing items this evening. I've been flicking in and out (as her voice sends me to sleep) and only watching during the adverts on the TV so I've not even heard the whole programme! I think she may be about to take the record though for it's over use!

Latest posts

Back