Valuations ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Baubles

Registered Shopper
I keep reading and hearing about people having their jewellery valued, not specifically for insurance purposes but more to see if they have bought a bargain! How do you go about doing this? Where do you go? Is it free or is there a charge?

I've bought quite a bit of jewellery over the last few months. Nothing was highly expensive (although that is relative) but it was bought because I liked the pieces and would get wear from them. From reading forums such as this though I have got a little nervous and I am wondering if I've spent my money wisely or not. It would be interesting to have at least a couple of pieces valued just to see what is said.

Can anyone advise please.

I keep reading and hearing about people having their jewellery valued, not specifically for insurance purposes but more to see if they have bought a bargain! How do you go about doing this? Where do you go? Is it free or is there a charge?

I've bought quite a bit of jewellery over the last few months. Nothing was highly expensive (although that is relative) but it was bought because I liked the pieces and would get wear from them. From reading forums such as this though I have got a little nervous and I am wondering if I've spent my money wisely or not. It would be interesting to have at least a couple of pieces valued just to see what is said.

Can anyone advise please.

Hi Baubles,

Valuations cost £20-£30 each piece and are most definitely NOT worth it unless you want to insure your pieces. If you like your pieces then don't worry about anything else, just enjoy. Jewellery is only worth considering for its actual value (as in quality and rarity, as opposed to insurance value) at the highest end. The channels love them because they are always shown in a good light due to a valuation giving the highest replacement value . In the event of a claim the insurance company will give you the lowest price they can find for a replacement. Lovely free advertising that we poor suckers are misled into paying for.

Hope that's clear? xxxx

argeybargey - many thanks.

You've told me what I think I really knew already. I just needed someone to'say it out loud'.

Baubles - just to add what Arge has said, the other big difference is that a valuation is NOT an indication of worth. A valuation is ONLY for insurance purposes and calculates the cost of buying and having made something from new. In other words a valuation calculates the price of the loose stone, any accompanying stones, the gold weight and then a jeweller's time to make a piece. Typically an insurance valuation will be around double what you've paid e.g. you pay £100 for the item and it's valued at £150-200. It doesn't mean that the item is suddenly worth much more. Hope that makes sense.

The only other words of caution I would give is that jewellery doesn't go up in value unless it super rare. Most items will lose value very quickly - so never buy thinking you're getting an heirloom for future generations of Baubles!

Thank you Meeshoo,

I suppose really I was thinking more along the lines of have I paid over the top for a piece that is 'reputed' to be a bargain - hope that makes sense. Just hopeing I've not been sucked in by TV hype!

Generally, I'm pretty much the sort of person that believes that regardless of what monetry value any 'expert' puts on something - whether its jewellery, art, car or just a piece of holiday tat from the costa's - at the end of the day only I can know it's real worth and value in terms of it's enjoyment, sentimental value etc to me because it's personal.

No chance of any 'future generations of Baubles' benefiting from my personal stash, although I will keep the file of 'Invoices and Gurantees' upto date just in case. :wink:

Latest posts

Back