Tefal Actifry Design Fault

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I must admit we love ours as well and we are very pleased with it and use it a lot. Handy to know the info though in case of any trouble.

yes you are like me, you love the machine, and as long as i know i cant get hurt and they will replace it if it breaks i havent a problem, once you buy an actifry i dont think you could ever live without it again, the chips are to die for

i rung tefal this morning, the unit overheats and smoke comes out, it cannot set on fire because the unit is flame retardent, so it will only cause damage to the unit and not to the kitchen or any person

The one on Watchdog was acually on fire.

I added to the other thread for you CB the one on Watchdog was on fire.

That's true i was more concerned that Tefal were saying the unit will not ignite when it obviously does,so long as you have the info i'm happy with that.

That's true i was more concerned that Tefal were saying the unit will not ignite when it obviously does,so long as you have the info i'm happy with that.

tefal said if the unit did ignite it would not set on fire as the unit is flame retardent and the flame would go out

but i just love this product so much and there is nothing else like it on the market, it allows me to eat healthy chips that taste like proper fried ones, so im willing to take the risk, ive had my machine a few months now and i havent had problems, so far, fingers crossed, but even if it did break ill still have another

I'm not convinced by Tefal response (I have lots of Tefal items that i am more than happy with)

It has set on fire, it has melted the 'fire retardent' plastic' and it did give off a very thick black smoke

Would Tefal take responsibility to make good any damage done to kitchens etc, should such a thing occur?

Also shouldn't faulty items be returned to the retailer? Isn't that that the usual scenario ? and also what we are advised to do.

When i worked in retail, faulty items, were either replaced or refunded, and the item returned by retailer to the manufacturer.

Looks dangerous to me. If the thing's going to catch fire, I wouldn't personally have it in the house. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the selling point of this machine is that you can make nice chips without using much oil.
I mad really thick potato wedges last night using the following method: cut up some maris pipers into nice thick chunky chips, boiled them for a bit on the hob. Then put some sunflower oil; about 2 tablespoons onto a baking sheet and bunged them in the oven for about half an hour, turning occasionally. They turned out great if I do say so myself.
And no one had their house burn down!
Who needs gadgets?
Seriously, I think that Tefal should be thinking of recalling this product if there is any concern over safety.

Looks dangerous to me. If the thing's going to catch fire, I wouldn't personally have it in the house. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the selling point of this machine is that you can make nice chips without using much oil.
I mad really thick potato wedges last night using the following method: cut up some maris pipers into nice thick chunky chips, boiled them for a bit on the hob. Then put some sunflower oil; about 2 tablespoons onto a baking sheet and bunged them in the oven for about half an hour, turning occasionally. They turned out great if I do say so myself.
And no one had their house burn down!
Who needs gadgets?
Seriously, I think that Tefal should be thinking of recalling this product if there is any concern over safety.

ill stil take my chances with the actifry, you just put the potatoes in and leave them about half an hour and they are gorgeous, i dont want to be messing round par boiling stuff and then putting the oven on, which costs a lot more to run than the actifry, and also the actifry gives the taste of fried chips without the fat, im still happy with mine

Fair enough, Curlyblonde. I will reiterate though, that I only used a little bit of oil - so mine were low fat!
I hope your actifry continues to be safe for you. Please do keep an eye on it though. :13:

Fair enough, Curlyblonde. I will reiterate though, that I only used a little bit of oil - so mine were low fat!
I hope your actifry continues to be safe for you. Please do keep an eye on it though. :13:

Thanks i will, ill make sure i leave the kitchen door open when im cooking now so i can smell the smoke incase it goes, cos my smoke alarm in the kitchen is too sensitive so i take the batteries out whilst cooking

I've had my Actifry for about 6 months and love it, it gets used about 3 times a week and I've not had any sign of faulty workmanship from it. Going by the percentages someone posted earlier regarding the number of units sold against the number of units bursting into flames, I think I'll carry on using mine as I've always enjoyed living on the edge and spent many years being splattered with chip pans spitting at me and the threat of boiling oil igniting - far more risky than the Actifry, in my opinion. I also wouldn't dream of leaving it unattended for the whole 30 mins of cooking, same as I wouldn't have left a chip pan on the go, so if there are any signs of smoke or malfunction it will be dealt with immediately - has anyone got Marios phone number ;)

It's a pity common sense isn't sold on shopping channels, it would sell like hot cakes, or should that me smoking Actifrys :p

I've had my Actifry for about 6 months and love it, it gets used about 3 times a week and I've not had any sign of faulty workmanship from it. Going by the percentages someone posted earlier regarding the number of units sold against the number of units bursting into flames, I think I'll carry on using mine as I've always enjoyed living on the edge and spent many years being splattered with chip pans spitting at me and the threat of boiling oil igniting - far more risky than the Actifry, in my opinion. I also wouldn't dream of leaving it unattended for the whole 30 mins of cooking, same as I wouldn't have left a chip pan on the go, so if there are any signs of smoke or malfunction it will be dealt with immediately - has anyone got Marios phone number ;)

It's a pity common sense isn't sold on shopping channels, it would sell like hot cakes, or should that me smoking Actifrys :p

Home or mobile :eek: :6:

I love my actifry but I am not comfortable using it now. I have called the freephone number and a recorded message said I will be called back within 48 hours. I will certainly raise the issue of the flames and black smoke with them and insist that they send me written assurances re: all the safety issues I plan to raise with them.

they have sold 50,000 and 220 are faulty

Tefal being a bit naughty here, they have sold 50,000 in the UK and out of those 220 people reported faults , they sell this worldwide so there will be far more people who have had problems.

They have sold 500,000 worldwide so if my maths are right this could be 2200 people who's have caught fire and thats only the people who have complained.

Im no electrician but surely it should have a safety trip that turns the power off once the fan stops working, it is a design fault

I love my actifry and will stick with it but will always be in the kitchen while it is working. Surely you would hear if the fan stopped working? I got mine from lakeland so my mind is completely at rest re returns but I have everything crossed that mine remains ok

Latest posts

Back