Mike Smith thread?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Happygolucky

Registered Shopper
I was about to post on the thread about Mikes on-air antics the other night and its disappeared? how come? i thought the topic was in need of discussion.

I was watching the other night and also felt uncomfortable with Mikes behaviour. i watched for about 5 minutes but had to flick over. i want to like Mike Smith but he keeps doing things that turn me off him. i found him really sleazy the other night and i cant stand his 'in your face' wackiness. i wish he would just calm down a bit!!:happy:

i read the post by the administrator, who i assume is a man? anyway. i found it interesting how different people can view the same situation.

i hope discussing Mike Smith isnt off limits on this site because someone who works here likes him?

I was about to post on the thread about Mikes on-air antics the other night and its disappeared? how come? i thought the topic was in need of discussion.

I was watching the other night and also felt uncomfortable with Mikes behaviour. i watched for about 5 minutes but had to flick over. i want to like Mike Smith but he keeps doing things that turn me off him. i found him really sleazy the other night and i cant stand his 'in your face' wackiness. i wish he would just calm down a bit!!:happy:

i read the post by the administrator, who i assume is a man? anyway. i found it interesting how different people can view the same situation.

i hope discussing Mike Smith isnt off limits on this site because someone who works here likes him?

Of course it is not off limits to discuss, I replied to the original thread then the original poster asked that I remove the thread and membership of this site.

I stand by what I said, Mike was just selling a pair of boots.

Not sure why you would assume that I was a man? I just have an opinion.

Of course it is not off limits to discuss, I replied to the original thread then the original poster asked that I remove the thread and membership of this site.

I stand by what I said, Mike was just selling a pair of boots.

Not sure why you would assume that I was a man? I just have an opinion.

Very true. i just didn't like the way he was selling them. i found him creepy and sleazy. as did a fellow member. The wonderful thing about a forum is its a place to share opinions. i really look forward to hearing what everyone else makes of mike.

The reason i assumed you are a man is my hubby was sitting next to me asking me what my problem was lol

Very true. i just didn't like the way he was selling them. i found him creepy and sleazy. as did a fellow member. The wonderful thing about a forum is its a place to share opinions. i really look forward to hearing what everyone else makes of mike.

The reason i assumed you are a man is my hubby was sitting next to me asking me what my problem was lol

I'm Gay so she did nothing for me, I just watch Mike as in my opinion he is the best Shopping Telly presenter around.

I agree Happygolucky. I just switched on when that was happening and thought the female assistant looked really uncomfortable.

I'm Gay so she did nothing for me, I just watch Mike as in my opinion he is the best Shopping Telly presenter around.

That wasn't my point. I just don't think a man can ever fully appreciate what a woman finds offensive! I felt for his asst that night as she looked so uncomfortable. He may of only been joking around but it was hard to watch TV.

He's the chappie with the blonde hair and glasses isn't he? I missed all the fuss... what exactly happened because he seems so inoffensive.

He's the chappie with the blonde hair and glasses isn't he? I missed all the fuss... what exactly happened because he seems so inoffensive.

Hi Tasi
Basically Mike was selling some girls boots which his assistant was modelling. while he was selling them he jumped down on to the floor so he was at the feet of his assistant and was looking up her skirt. i should point out she was wearing a short skirt and tights.

Mike made a few other comments about the situation all of which made he poor assistant look really awkward and uncomfortable. i'm sure he was just joking and messing around trying to be entertaining but it was really uncomfortable to watch and i felt pretty sorry for the girl.

No, that's not on. We all have a joke and mess about now and then but the rule is, if you make the other person feel uncomfortable you have gone too far. Let's hope he has learned from it.

Almost a month after the night in question and far more calmer than when I made my original post on the subject, I wanted to address a few things that have been mentioned in this thread.

First of all it was myself, under the name Ultramantis Black, who made the initial thread regarding Mike Smith as I was shocked and disgusted by his antics and behaviour one evening before Christmas. In hindsight, the title of the thread was uncalled for, however I still stand my everything I posted then ('Happygolucky' has covered the incident that I found the most uncomfortable).

'Administrator' responded to my post and flat out said that what I posted 'never happened'. He denied that Mike looked up Lucinda's (the poor assistant who was subjected to his behaviour) skirt on two separate occasions (even though subsequent posts in this thread have indeed confirmed that is exactly what he did), and then justified his other actions as 'Christmas Hijinx'. I was dumbfounded by 'Administrators'' response, and felt as though he was accusing me of being some sort of liar or a s**t stirrer.

As a result and knowing that Mike was fully aware of this site (he referenced it the night in question and said hello to someone from this board), I recommended that as Admin and as he disputed everything I wrote and said happened, that he delete the thread and also my membership; as I no longer wanted to be a member of a site where

a) I was considered a liar, a trouble maker or s**t stirrer
b) that condoned and turned a blind eye to the sort of behaviour that Mike got up to that night, and
c) I felt certain people were above or exempt from criticism, just because they happened to be a favourite of the Admin team/moderators. (I am guessing that 'Administrator's' response would have been different if it had been, say James Russell behaving like Mike and the thread was about him).

His actions that night completely turned me off Mike Smith, whose OTT and contrived 'wackiness' was already starting to grate on me as it is. I have only caught him sporadically since when flicking through the channels, and have never seen Lucinda co-host with him since (doesn't mean she hasn't of course), and the only assistants I have seen with him are the likes of Yolisa who always wear trousers. Incidentally, after Nevermind the Buzzcocks finished last night, I switched over to see who was on Price Drop and it was Mike presenting again. I deliberately waited to see who his assistant was, and it was a legging clad Kiri Bloore.

Like I said initially, I just wanted to address a few things that were mentioned in this thread, and if nothing else, hope that Mike was warned by his bosses about his behaviour that night and we never have to witness such an uncomfortable and sorry episode again.

b) that condoned and turned a blind eye to the sort of behaviour that Mike got up to that night, and
c) I felt certain people were above or exempt from criticism, just because they happened to be a favourite of the Admin team/moderators. (I am guessing that 'Administrator's' response would have been different if it had been, say James Russell behaving like Mike and the thread was about him).

I do have to agree with that. If James Russell went on the floor, and done the same, people would say james was in the wrong, it only seems okay on this site, as the admin like him! (I have to say I like him, and I don't think it was bad what he done, as it was late at night, but by the admin saying you were a liar and saying you made it up was OTT, as he did, and I have it on record!) but I think we should all have our opinions, and they should be able to be voiced on here

Last edited:
Almost a month after the night in question and far more calmer than when I made my original post on the subject, I wanted to address a few things that have been mentioned in this thread........

.......Like I said initially, I just wanted to address a few things that were mentioned in this thread, and if nothing else, hope that Mike was warned by his bosses about his behaviour that night and we never have to witness such an uncomfortable and sorry episode again.

I do have to agree with that. If James Russell went on the floor, and done the same, people would say james was in the wrong, it only seems okay on this site, as the admin like him! (I have to say I like him, and I don't think it was bad what he done, as it was late at night, but by the admin saying you were a liar and saying you made it up was OTT, as he did, and I have it on record!) but I think we should all have our opinions, and they should be able to be voiced on here

At NO stage did I call the poster a liar. I just posted my opinion about the sell, we all have different opinions and I posted mine I moderate everyones first post made on the site and as you cab read the posts I have not censored in anyway.

I am a fan of Mike and really think he does put the fun back into shopping telly. As for James Russell I dislike him, my main reason is my passion for shopping telly and the way he said about tat he sold and then went straight back into the genre, I have no respect for him. If he had done the same sort of sell as Mike it would have come across totally different as James Russell isn't fun so would have been totally different.

I am a fan of Mike and really think he does put the fun back into shopping telly. As for James Russell I dislike him, my main reason is my passion for shopping telly and the way he said about tat he sold and then went straight back into the genre, I have no respect for him. If he had done the same sort of sell as Mike it would have come across totally different as James Russell isn't fun so would have been totally different.

I agree with this, by saying he was just trying to be funny so it is alright, but if james done it, it wouldn't because its not funny....but would you also say if Gray didnt like Mike, he could say the opposite to you, that he may find it acceptable for James to do it, if he found him funny?

I agree with this, by saying he was just trying to be funny so it is alright, but if james done it, it wouldn't because its not funny....but would you also say if Gray didnt like Mike, he could say the opposite to you, that he may find it acceptable for James to do it, if he found him funny?

Good point but would anyone find James Russell funny :)

What did you have to go and say that for? Now I'm gonna have to go and lie down in a darkened room wiv me bucket. xxxxxx

I cant help but think the point is being missed here. What i didn't like was the fact that he made a girl feel really uncomfortable by his actions. i don't think it really mattered who did it, or how funny they are. thats not the issue. it's about behaviour and how that behaviour effects others. Mikes behaviour (like him or hate him) caused someone else to feel really embarrassed and uncomfortable. i don't give two figs about Mike Smith or how 'FUNNY' he is, but i do care about the poor love who was on the receiving end of his bigoted actions.

If Andy Gray had gone to the lengths of looking up the skirt of that female presenter how much worse would we consider his actions? If Richard Keys had made her look and feel as uncomfortable as Mike made Lucinda would the axe have fallen more rapidly?

I think Mike is very lucky he did what he did before all this sky sports controversy. if it had of come after i fear the media could have had a field day with it. in my opinion. having watched both. i feel what Mike did was significantly worse.

I have worked in a male dominated industry almost all my life. i find it really sad to hear people saying something isn't 'sexist' because the person who said it is "FUNNY". how ridiculous! As a women i can tell you it WAS sexist. it WAS offensive and he DID make her feel visibly uncomfortable.

I you find that 'FUNNY' you have a very strange and unpleasant sense of humour!

Rant over

Latest posts

Back