Certified as what?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Certified as what?

Could somebody with more knowledge than I please explain how a certified stone is being sold as G to H. Why are they not certain how to classify it? Are they playing safe or is it that the difference between the two grades is so indiscernable that it makes no difference to the price? Probably entirely psychological, but I think I would feel happier with a G that might be an F than a G that might be an H!!!
    Best wishes from Springflower

Post Thanks / Like

You can't have a certified diamond graded as G-H. It's either G or H. Certified means that it comes with a laboratory report.

If you're referring to the Iliana range, they are not certified diamonds. They are graded in-house. So some of the Iliana range will be designated G and some H so they market them all as G-H in colour. Grading for colour is done with the diamonds face down and using a reference set however if it's done in-house there is always the concern that they won't be as strict in grading as a laboratory. Having said that, that's a general comment and NOT aimed at TJC. With the exception of 1 or 2 pieces, all of my Iliana diamonds have been very good indeed and have, in some circumstances, been assessed as higher than G-H and some have been VVS in quality.

In terms of what you see, the difference is minimal unless you are super sensitive to colour. G and H colour diamonds are normally white looking with very little trace of yellow and the price difference is minimal. Price depends on size, clarity, cut and colour so an H may well cost more if it has a better cut (light return) etc. G-H diamonds are generally considered to be more than acceptable.
    Last edited by Meeshoo; 20-02-2011 at 10:42 AM.

3. <
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched for a bit this morning and there were a few items EGL certified at G-H colour and I1-I2 clarity - very odd I thought

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/po...ockCode=800645

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/po...ockCode=803881

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
    I watched for a bit this morning and there were a few items EGL certified at G-H colour and I1-I2 clarity - very odd I thought

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/po...ockCode=800645

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/po...ockCode=803881
    Then the only explanation is that they have more than 1. To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) EGL certify as G or H and I1 or I2, not something in between. Was there more than 1 in the auction?

Just a FYI, EGL are thought of as grading quite softly. So, a G colour certified by EGL may well be certified as 1-2 grades lower by GIA. For diamond grading GIA is seen as the best lab report. Also, I believe, some EGL labs are more highly thought of than others.

Here you can see sample EGL certs and clearly they only grade as G or H http://www.eglinternational.org/serv_certificates.htm

Hope that helps

BTW for coloured gemstones the most respected lab is AGL.
    Last edited by Meeshoo; 20-02-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: To add EGL link

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add ............... there are I1/I2 diamonds and then there are I1/I2 diamonds. Generally speaking I1/I2 will be heavily included and you'll be able to see flaws with the naked eye. For example, the diamond rings sold by GemsTV are typically I1/I2 and look like junk.

There are some lovely I1/I2 but they have to be picked by an expert and their flaws need to be well hidden so that they don't detract from the beauty of the diamond.

Post Thanks / Like

The EGL are not thought of very highly in the Birmingham jewellery quarter, most of the shops sell GIA, IGI and HRD.
    One shop told me if you send a diamond to the EGL to be graded you may as well just put a 20 note in the parcel and tell them what colour and clarity you want it to be lol

8. Flower
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meeshoo View Post
    Forgot to add ............... there are I1/I2 diamonds and then there are I1/I2 diamonds. Generally speaking I1/I2 will be heavily included and you'll be able to see flaws with the naked eye. For example, the diamond rings sold by GemsTV are typically I1/I2 and look like junk.

There are some lovely I1/I2 but they have to be picked by an expert and their flaws need to be well hidden so that they don't detract from the beauty of the diamond.
    All the Gems TV diamonds I have seen lately look like G in colour. G standing for GREY that is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meeshoo View Post
    Then the only explanation is that they have more than 1. To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) EGL certify as G or H and I1 or I2, not something in between. Was there more than 1 in the auction?
    Yes, it was double figures in both auctions. Would that mean there was a selection of G and H and your certificate would state the exact colour and clarity? Didn't buy but the stones didn't look too bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
    Yes, it was double figures in both auctions. Would that mean there was a selection of G and H and your certificate would state the exact colour and clarity? Didn't buy but the stones didn't look too bad
    Yes. That's why they are being labelled as such.

The fact that TJC thought to send these stones to be certified suggests they are at the good end of the I1/I2 range. As I said, they'll be a world away from the ones that GemsTV regularly have!

Post Thanks / Like

Still seems odd to me, as there was only one price for both grades you would be taking a chance that yours will be G I1!!