Certified as what?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Arge/BB

Yes of course I'll send them to you both .................. just don't hold your breath as it'll take me a few years to get to the Post Office. My Rottweillers and hubby believe that my jewels should stay at home and not go for outings. I know it's mean of them, but what can I say?

Fluor pics for your delight!

Just a FYI, in Diamonds, fluor can be blue (most common), green, yellow, orange (reasonably rare) and I think pink. In coloured gemstones, fluor can be any colour

Not all gemstones have fluoresence. Some do, some don't.

In diamonds, they used to be called "blue diamonds" because they can look a blue-white in sunlight. They were exceptionally fashionable at one time but died a death. They are now seeing something of a resurgence and (luckily) are still slightly cheaper than their non-fluor counterparts.

One thing to note is that in extreme cases - and I mean extreme - very strong fluor can make a diamond look cloudy and oily. I've only ever seen this once and it's quite rare. Those ones you need to stay away from.

In order from L to R:

Diamond with strong blue fluor
Diamond in setting showing strong blue fluor and some surrounding diamonds with/without fluor
Diamond asscher cut that is yellow brown in colour showing strong green fluor
Ruby showing fluor
Diamond showing yellow fluor

Let me know if you want to see how it looks on coloured gemstones too.

Another couple of photos.

From L to R

Montage of pictures showing fluor and then when the UV light is switched off so you can see what it looks like normally.

A very bad (old) picture but it shows how some diamonds have fluor and others don't. The ones that don't glow don't have fluor.

Fascinating, thanks for that. You have some beautiful jewellery and I love that rubellite.

My best quality buy from TJC was an Iliana asscher cut diamond ring, I can't confirm the colour but it's definitely VS clarity, I was very lucky :clapping:

Fascinating, thanks for that. You have some beautiful jewellery and I love that rubellite.

My best quality buy from TJC was an Iliana asscher cut diamond ring, I can't confirm the colour but it's definitely VS clarity, I was very lucky :clapping:

Rubellite? Do you mean the Ruby? Thank you for your kind words.

Strangely most Rubellites (and most Tourmalines) don't show fluor. There is a very small amount that do but more often than not, they don't.

Whoops! I was referring to the rectangular stone in second post, lovely colour

That's a Spinel from the Mahenge region. Good ones glow like you wouldn't believe. If you like hot hot hot pink, that's the stone for you! The best ones beat all other pink gemstones into submission. :heart:

Meeshoo, HUGE thankyous for sharing with us what to me seems like a bottomless well of knowledge. I was devouring your words long before I joined this forum. I feel a bit of a fraud, because unlike many here I don't buy "big" pieces from TJC, I buy secondhand pieces from a lovely jeweller I've discovered who will buy back from me at the same price I paid whenever I feel like a change. Whenever I get the chance I take myself to places such as Cartier and Tiffany and allow them to talk to me about gems, Because I show real interest - and a little knowledge - I find them happy and more than willing to share theirs with me. I live in hope that one day, should I live that long, I'll have as much knowledge as you!
Best wishes from Springflower.

Bless you Springflower for your kind words but in all honesty I'm just an anorak! I love gemstones and so learn as much as I can!!! I think if you have a passion, in whatever it is, it's easy to learn about the subject and the more you learn the more you want to know!!!

You know, you don't have to buy "big" pieces. I too love antique and secondhand pieces and if you've found a jeweller who will share knowledge with you and buy back at the same price then that's fantastic! It's a good way to move your items that you get bored with! It would be lovely to see some of your pieces so if you get a chance will you post some piccies in the Bling section? We all love to see collections (we're a nosey bunch at heart!).

One thing I would caution you with is that the salespeople from Tiffany and Cartier tend to know less than people on this forum! They will know bits and pieces but at the end of the day they're taught enough to sell and not much more. For example, next time you're in Tiffany's see if you can find a sapphire piece and then ask them about treatments. See if they tell you about BE diffusion (and can explain what that is)! I'll bet you that they don't say anything and the most you'll get is "it's heated". I know with 100% certainty that they sell BE diffused stones. People seem to think that because of their name they sell "the best". Unfortunately that's a million miles away from the truth. Some of their gemstones are ........ less than good (polite way of saying what I really want to say)! Also their knowledge is limited to diamonds (very limited) and only a few coloured gemstones (even less knowledge).

I don't know where you live but if you're anywhere near London there is a guy who runs some classes and they're really good for aspiring collectors, hobbyists and those who want to move into the gemstone/jewellery business. Here's a link to his website http://www.ericemms.com/welcome

Happy collecting!

Meeshoo, hurrah for anoraks!!! Now a confession, I fear i have neither facilities or knowledge to post piccies and, very sadly can no longer ask "the man who can" but when my head is in a straighter place it will be on my list of "roundtoits"
Thankyou for the advice about the "Big Names" Although, whilst a total surprise because I didn't buy anything, the glass of champers they offered me was remarkably good!!! Nonetheless, it's good to know that genuine, good advice from fellow gemmies is only a click away.
Best wishes from Springflower.

Latest posts

Back