"It's rare and should have sold for SO much more..."

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

H

HoodedClaw

Guest Shopper
Peter Simon's just been practically crapping himself over a "rare" piece of jewellery that "should have sold for SO much more...". An aspen leaf on a chain that have both been dipped (plated) in 24K yellow gold.

Well, this priceless treasure started off at £89, and finally went for just under £35.00 (plus £7.99 and £1.53 phone charges, of course!).

Astounded at how bid.tv managed to get hold of something so "high-end" (in Mr Simon's words), I went online and simply googled "aspen gold dipped". Imagine my surprise when I found page after page of sites flogging aspen gold dipped jewellery listed on t'internet. "But it's supposed to be so rare" thought I, "Mr Simon and the good folk at bid.tv would not lie to me, surely? I bet this jewellery is REALLY expensive even if it isn't exactly that rare. The wonderful people at bid.tv would ensure we got a fantabulous deal!"

After deciding to watch my Ovaltine intake in future as I seem to be talking to myself FAR too much lately, I checked out one of the sites.

Imagine my shock as I found THIS.

£29.94 and NO postage for the same item Mr Simon described as "rare", "high-end" and "it should have sold for a LOT more"? Methinks Mr Simon doth protest too much :wonder:

Remember guys and gals: you're "lucky" if you get it! :devil:

Last edited:
The 'rare dipped leaves' they have had before are turning up in charity shops now and again... even cheaper and tackier looking in real life.

Absolute rubbishy tat! unfortunately there are plenty of gullible people ready and willing to be taken for a ride on the sit - up express :cash:

£29.94 and NO postage for the same item Mr Simon described as "rare", "high-end" and "it should have sold for a LOT more"? Methinks Mr Simon doth protest too much :wonder:

Didn't he used his other favourite line: We paid a lot more than this? :giggle:

The poor old ASA must have a whole department to deal with complains about his gaffs.

IMHO. the sh!t-up channels are full of lies and liars... end of! How they get away with the rubbish they come out with is beyond me!! I have no sympathy for anyone who falls for the crap that they spout!

Rich

Last edited:
Didn't he used his other favourite line: We paid a lot more than this? :giggle:

The poor old ASA must have a whole department to deal with complains about his gaffs.

You're absolutely right: the sheer brazenness of that statement made me blank one that out.

Yet we all still watch them don't we? Maybe we wouldn't if they told the truth may make them boring.

You know what Steve: you're quite right.

I take it all back - so what if bid.tv are brazenly setting out to rip people off? As long as it makes good telly, that's perfectly OK! :taphead:

While a lot of people may be able to see Mr Simon & company's patter for what it is, there are still a lot of vulnerable people out there who may not have the nous to go check out these extraordinary claims and so make an informed decision whether to partake in these "bargains" or not.

After all, we rely on shopping telly presenters to give us the information on products so that we can make an informed decision whether to buy or not. If shopping telly presenters outright lie about their products, then they are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act: the items we're paying for are not what they promised in order for us to hand over our cash.

That's where advertising standards comes in: to protect people from such quackery.

Last edited:
It's the televisual equivalent of selling out of the back of a van :talking: I am amazed that the powers that be allow them to get away with it.

My husband was well and truly ripped off this weekend, I need a new iron and he saw one on this channel, starting bid £129! dropped to £20, so he thought he was doing me a favour and bought it, with postage it came to £27.99 + phone call. Same iron on eBay £13.99, in Comet £19.99. I haven't the heart to tell him.
How the hell can they get away with a starting price of £129.
The Beldray steam iron in pink, buy it in town.

Absolute rubbishy tat! unfortunately there are plenty of gullible people ready and willing to be taken for a ride on the sit - up express :cash:

I think that people who don't know Sellly Telly like we do would have every right to assume that you can't lie on TV so I can understand why people fall for it :)

PJ

Latest posts

Back