Opinions please on Mulberry Silk Duvets

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

chrissie

Registered Shopper
What the title says please:hi:
We currently have a Northern Nights Down Duvet, very happy with it but have had it a few years now & noticed a few "cold" spots in it during this last winter, so looking around for a replacement before winter.
Have seen one or two presentations of the Mulberry Silk Duvets on IW & understand that they are like the Down Duvets with regard to the lack of tog rating.
So, are they as light as the Down duvets? This is quite important as we have a super king bed & makes it much easier to change if it's not too heavy.
Do they keep you warm in the winter & cool in the summer as they say?
What "fill power" should I be looking for that would be suitable for most seasons?
Are there any things that you don't like about them?
Thank you in advance!

I've got the Mulberry Spring/Autumn weight one. It's a lovely duvet (not from Ideal World though, do a web price comparison before buying!!) nice and light but doesn't loft like a down duvet it's much flatter. I'm a warm sleeper (my own thermostat at the moment hehe!) but this one is really only suitable for quite warm Spring and Autumn nights, you'd certainly need the warmest one available for a winter duvet. Apparently you don't have to clean these as often as the down versions as silk doesn't harbour dust mites. It's recommended to hang it outside on a nice sunny day to freshen it up, I've also used the steam cleaner on it without any problems. Hope this helps.

I know you've asked about silk but have you thought of a woolen one. We got a Fogarty one last year and it keeps your body temperature at an even level. No tog to them either and even during this really cold winter we needed no extra covers on top and didn't have the heating on in the bedroom either. Bought ours from Dawsons and have also since bought a woolen mattress protector and pillow protectors. Oh, and my DH who used to overheat in bed no longer does that either.

I've got the Mulberry Spring/Autumn weight one. It's a lovely duvet (not from Ideal World though, do a web price comparison before buying!!) nice and light but doesn't loft like a down duvet it's much flatter. I'm a warm sleeper (my own thermostat at the moment hehe!) but this one is really only suitable for quite warm Spring and Autumn nights, you'd certainly need the warmest one available for a winter duvet. Apparently you don't have to clean these as often as the down versions as silk doesn't harbour dust mites. It's recommended to hang it outside on a nice sunny day to freshen it up, I've also used the steam cleaner on it without any problems. Hope this helps.

Many thanks for this Mam, certainly does help.:up: I've my own thermostat as well at the moment:rock:.
Yes, I find that the down all tends to "loft" down over the edge of the bed where it's no use at all as well. Interesting that the silk one doesn't. I never would have thought to use a steam cleaner on one, that's a really good idea.
Looks like there's going to be a Mulberry Silk POTD this Sunday, so will have a listen to what they have to say as well.
Take your point about looking around on the web re prices - thank you!

I know you've asked about silk but have you thought of a woolen one. We got a Fogarty one last year and it keeps your body temperature at an even level. No tog to them either and even during this really cold winter we needed no extra covers on top and didn't have the heating on in the bedroom either. Bought ours from Dawsons and have also since bought a woolen mattress protector and pillow protectors. Oh, and my DH who used to overheat in bed no longer does that either.

Nope hadn't thought about a woolen duvet! Don't think Fogarty's factory is that far away from us either, wasn't aware that Fogarty's did woolen ones. Thank you Anne.
How do the woolen ones work please? Do you have different ones for Winter & Spring?
Like Mam, I currently have my own thermostat as well, so interesting to hear that your DH has no problems with overheating with it.
Off to do a bit of research on them. Thanks again!

Nope hadn't thought about a woolen duvet! Don't think Fogarty's factory is that far away from us either, wasn't aware that Fogarty's did woolen ones. Thank you Anne.
How do the woolen ones work please? Do you have different ones for Winter & Spring?
Like Mam, I currently have my own thermostat as well, so interesting to hear that your DH has no problems with overheating with it.
Off to do a bit of research on them. Thanks again!

Fogarty's just do one with no tog. Took a few nights to get used to it compared to a fluffy down one as it's so thin in comparison but wouldn't be without it now. The outer casing was a bit noisy at first - it crunched a bit when you moved - but that quickly wore off. We've never slept better since we've had it. DH used to get so hot sometimes that he'd wake up drenched in sweat (doesn't he sound attractive -lol) and we've not had that since. Also, it was around £50ish for a kingsize as Dawsons regularly have them at half price plus there's usually codes floating around. HTH

Fogarty's just do one with no tog. Took a few nights to get used to it compared to a fluffy down one as it's so thin in comparison but wouldn't be without it now. The outer casing was a bit noisy at first - it crunched a bit when you moved - but that quickly wore off. We've never slept better since we've had it. DH used to get so hot sometimes that he'd wake up drenched in sweat (doesn't he sound attractive -lol) and we've not had that since. Also, it was around £50ish for a kingsize as Dawsons regularly have them at half price plus there's usually codes floating around. HTH

Hi Anne,

Many thanks for the code & other info, much appreciated.
I've been onto Dawsons website & they don't appear to have Super king in stock, so have emailed to ask if they are expecting any in. Their prices look excellent though - to be honest, I was amazed at how good their price were, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
From having a look on other websites the wool duvets seem much flatter than the down , but all have really good reviews. Hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question, but does it feel soft or just plain flat like a blanket? Been used to having down draped around us & the good thing about that is that it does contour around you, is the wool one similar would you say?
Thank you in advance!

Hi Anne,

Many thanks for the code & other info, much appreciated.
I've been onto Dawsons website & they don't appear to have Super king in stock, so have emailed to ask if they are expecting any in. Their prices look excellent though - to be honest, I was amazed at how good their price were, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
From having a look on other websites the wool duvets seem much flatter than the down , but all have really good reviews. Hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question, but does it feel soft or just plain flat like a blanket? Been used to having down draped around us & the good thing about that is that it does contour around you, is the wool one similar would you say?
Thank you in advance!

Ooh, here goes with my crap description-lol

I would say it's as thin as a couple of blankets would be but soft enough to pull around you once the covering has softened down a bit. I always start off sleeping with a duvet pulled around me and can still do the same with this one although obviously it doesn't have that fluffy feel. I know some reviews say about a funny smell but we never noticed one.

We were both really sceptical when I bought it but couldn't believe how well we both slept so quickly bought the protectors as well but got those from M & S as they were so much cheaper. It's worth checking Dawsons often each day as the stock levels fluctuate so much. Also, I think te$co, Debenhams and Sainsburys might still sell the fogarty ones. I know they did over winter. M & S do one as well. Oh, and I've also washed and dried it at home and it's been fine.

HTH

Ooh, here goes with my crap description-lol

I would say it's as thin as a couple of blankets would be but soft enough to pull around you once the covering has softened down a bit. I always start off sleeping with a duvet pulled around me and can still do the same with this one although obviously it doesn't have that fluffy feel. I know some reviews say about a funny smell but we never noticed one.

We were both really sceptical when I bought it but couldn't believe how well we both slept so quickly bought the protectors as well but got those from M & S as they were so much cheaper. It's worth checking Dawsons often each day as the stock levels fluctuate so much. Also, I think te$co, Debenhams and Sainsburys might still sell the fogarty ones. I know they did over winter. M & S do one as well. Oh, and I've also washed and dried it at home and it's been fine.

HTH

Thank you very much for the BRILLIANT description!
Must admit that a wool duvet hadn't even entered my radar until you suggested it!
But I can see how it would be a good alternative to down & silk. The mattress on our new bed ( well it's 3months old) is wool & silk & is very comfy.
Have had another look at the Dawson's site today, but only single & double available, no email reply from them either, but I will keep checking as you suggest.
I think the only thing that I am a bit worried about is the "snuggle factor" with being used to a down duvet.
Thank you for suggesting those other sites & will have a look at them over the w/end when I've a bit more time.

Thank you very much for the BRILLIANT description!
Must admit that a wool duvet hadn't even entered my radar until you suggested it!
But I can see how it would be a good alternative to down & silk. The mattress on our new bed ( well it's 3months old) is wool & silk & is very comfy.
Have had another look at the Dawson's site today, but only single & double available, no email reply from them either, but I will keep checking as you suggest.
I think the only thing that I am a bit worried about is the "snuggle factor" with being used to a down duvet.
Thank you for suggesting those other sites & will have a look at them over the w/end when I've a bit more time.

Chrissie, if it helps I was going to buy a silk duvet but thought I'd ask for views on them and wool was suggested. The price difference and reviews for menopausal women swung it for me (am not there yet but I'm sure it won't be long given my age)

Chrissie, if it helps I was going to buy a silk duvet but thought I'd ask for views on them and wool was suggested. The price difference and reviews for menopausal women swung it for me (am not there yet but I'm sure it won't be long given my age)

Thank you Anne, yes, that does help. I must admit I'm really amazed at the price difference between the wool & silk ones as well.
I've had an email back from Dawsons saying that new stock is on order & should be back in stock in a few weeks. So will keep checking as you suggest as their prices seem really excellent & as long as I have it sorted before winter starts there's not really any rush.
I've been up since really early this morning & have had a check around on the sites you kindly suggested & come across "Jaspa" wool duvets which seem to be available in different weights - 300gsm & 500 gsm. Wonder if you've heard of these? The Fogarty one seems to be 300gsm.
I swopped our down duvet for a 4.5 tog summer duvet(just a bog standard one) last week & have put the down one back on this morning because my night sweats seem much worse with the polyester fill. Menopause is just awful, it really is.:sad: Still at least you seem prepared for it with sorting out your duvet etc, wish I'd had the good sense to think of that.
Thanks again for your help.:angel:

Happy to help Chrissie:) The code is valid until the 20th June but if you subscribe they regularly send the codes out. Remembered there is also a Welsh company that makes them. It's called something like baavet but can't remember their prices. There's also Devon Duvets and the Wool Company who were recommended to me but I think they may be mega bucks.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the menopause:( Just hope it's over quickly when it hits!

Happy to help Chrissie:) The code is valid until the 20th June but if you subscribe they regularly send the codes out. Remembered there is also a Welsh company that makes them. It's called something like baavet but can't remember their prices. There's also Devon Duvets and the Wool Company who were recommended to me but I think they may be mega bucks.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the menopause:( Just hope it's over quickly when it hits!

Thank you! Will have a google to see if I can find out about your other suggestions.
Baavet?! What a hoot! LOL:clapping:
Good to know that Dawsons have these discount codes on a regular basis as well.
Can only go by my experience with regard to the menopause & it ain't over quickly!- so think you've done really well to get prepared!
Thanks again for all of your help - really appreciate it.

I've just bought the one from Northern Nights, Chrissie - I specifically bought it for Summer, as nights can get very warm and humid in Jersey. It is wonderful at the moment - but would not be nearly warm enough in winter. It's the best duvet I've ever had, they may be cheaper elsewhere but I wanted the option to try it first and thus used QVC (don't do IW).

Also I travel to the UK quite a bit in the Summer to see my relatives and I can get this in my luggage (I'm a nightmare when it comes to my own bedding, I think once you've stopped using cotton/poly mix and gone to pure cotton everything else feel awful, I'm not a great sleeper anyway so look for everything to help).

Last edited:
I've just bought the one from Northern Nights, Chrissie - I specifically bought it for Summer, as nights can get very warm and humid in Jersey. It is wonderful at the moment - but would not be nearly warm enough in winter. It's the best duvet I've ever had, they may be cheaper elsewhere but I wanted the option to try it first and thus used QVC (don't do IW).

Also I travel to the UK quite a bit in the Summer to see my relatives and I can get this in my luggage (I'm a nightmare when it comes to my own bedding, I think once you've stopped using cotton/poly mix and gone to pure cotton everything else feel awful, I'm not a great sleeper anyway so look for everything to help).

Yes, thank you ROC, I've seen the silk ones on QVC, but they only seem to have the summer ones at the moment, whereas I was looking for one that could be used for most of the year.
I don't normally "do" IW either if I'm honest, which is why I've asked on here first.:rock:
Really pleased I did as well, as Anne as very kindly suggested a wool duvet which hadn't even occurred to me.
We have all NN in our house - kids all have their feather beds, we all have the flannels, down duvets, as well as the high thread count cottons.
Same as you, I prefer QVC too as they give you the buy & try option & to be honest, if QVC had a heavier silk duvet or a superking in their wool duvet I wouldn't have hesitated & just ordered both to see which I preferred. But they haven't:thinking: BUT they do look as if they're having 2 TSV's over the next few weeks, so I've been in 2 minds whether to hold off to see what they are going to be.
Yep, I love my own bedding as well, so you're not alone on that, & like you say once you're used to good quality linens, etc, there's no going back!
Thank you for letting me know about the NN silk duvet, I was curious about it as there don't appear to be any reviews on it.

Ahh, thank you ROC!!!!
I've already emailed QVC twice once re their silk duvets & once about their wool ones.
Received a reply saying the Four Season Australian Wool duvet had been discontinued & that they were looking into my Mulberry Silk enquiry.
I can feel myself swaying on the IW POTD as it looks an excellent deal. Just waiting to find out what gm/gsm weight of silk is in them.

Latest posts

Back