Simon Iles get a backbone

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Graham

Guest Shopper
Why do people get jobs on the telly if they can not take criticism?

Simon Iles on Ideal World bores me to death, he is not entertaining in anyway and appears to be on the channel more and more.

I tweet about him and get the usual standard
"How about you change the channel if you dont like it!"

Thats like a red rag to a bull with me .... He also tweeted
"if I am such a bad guest how come im on so often? Ideal obviously think im quite good as im on every week!!"

A perfect guest is Janice Phillips, knows her stuff and entertains at the same time, last nights Consumer Choice with Loen, Andy and Janice proved once again that Shopping Telly can be entertaining.

Simon Iles never entertains (in my opinion) and if he does not like peoples opinions then he is in the wrong job!

I think the problem Simon's having is down to t'internet.

Anyone who is in the public eye can get instant criticism in a way that they've never had before; criticism that is open to everyone that can get online. And you can't "spin" it either: look what happened to "a certain footballer" on Twitter recently. :wink:

And saying "I must be OK because IW has me on every week" is hardly a reason that would stand up in court.

After all, IW have slinky clothing on every week: doesn't mean it's any good! :tongue:

Last edited:
He does the car polish and steam products and most cleaners.

To be fair Graham, the comment which you posted ''sorry I think you are a terrible guest and the old "switch over the channel" phrase annoys me even more. Hope your replaced soon'' I found quite harsh. - You may hot like him, but comming out with 'terrible guest' and 'hope you are replaced soon' in my opinion is a bit OTT. It's fine to say what you want, and be blunt in some respects, if they don't deserve any respect, but in this case, I wouldn't have said that Simon had anything towards the viewers or you to deserve behaviour like this. - He was only stating points back at you, as he may not be everybodys cup of tea, but if he was really bad, he wouldn't be a guest anymore. (BTW I'm not sticking uo for him, as he isn't my favourite, but I find him alright.) If somebody was blunt to you, and you have never heared of them before, and you were a presenter, and somebody contacted you and said ''sorry I think you are a terrible guest and the old "switch over the channel" phrase annoys me even more. Hope your replaced soon'' How would you reply? I wouldn't say he replied badly in any way. - Just my views.

To be fair Graham, the comment which you posted ''sorry I think you are a terrible guest and the old "switch over the channel" phrase annoys me even more. Hope your replaced soon'' I found quite harsh. - You may hot like him, but comming out with 'terrible guest' and 'hope you are replaced soon' in my opinion is a bit OTT. It's fine to say what you want, and be blunt in some respects, if they don't deserve any respect, but in this case, I wouldn't have said that Simon had anything towards the viewers or you to deserve behaviour like this. - He was only stating points back at you, as he may not be everybodys cup of tea, but if he was really bad, he wouldn't be a guest anymore. (BTW I'm not sticking uo for him, as he isn't my favourite, but I find him alright.) If somebody was blunt to you, and you have never heared of them before, and you were a presenter, and somebody contacted you and said ''sorry I think you are a terrible guest and the old "switch over the channel" phrase annoys me even more. Hope your replaced soon'' How would you reply? I wouldn't say he replied badly in any way. - Just my views.

My reply was AFTER his tweets to me, my previous tweets were just tweets when he was on air.

Either way is it my opinion and if we all thought the same it would become very boring.

Simon fits right into IW, he is as boring to watch as the rest of them. The only one on that channel that I would actually pay is Janice Phillips, imho she knows her stuff and is so wasted on there.

When has Ideal World ever stopped using guests, products or even presenters because they were no good? A long list of names springs to mind. I'm sure I'm not the only one who watches to mock, never to buy.

I actually quite like the presenters on IW, although I'm not sure who this Simon Iles is TBH. They are far more entertaining than QVC and don't have so much of the ego and hard sell. Oh, and they let the guests actually do their job and tell you about the products without interrupting every 6.2 seconds. I've never had any trouble with deliveries either and, on the odd occasion I have returned items, my refund has been in the bank in just a couple of days. They have the potential to be a really good channel. I'm not sure why it is they just don't hit the mark. Some of their products have been excellent, but they just need to bump up the range of goods they sell. I find I laugh with IW and laugh at QVC.

I support Graham too. You can use your off button when you like but if you are going to put yourself in front of the public, either on TV or any other medium, you are going to have to accept the fact that people you've never seen and never even heard of might instantly take a dislike to you and be vocal with it. Sorry, but it's par for the course in this line of work. If you can't deal with it, you need to work in a quiet office somewhere!

Sounds like he take criticism quite well and his happy to comment back. He's not slagging anyone back and seems to be taking it on the chin.

You find Janice Philips good - I don't, I find her dull and lacking in knowledge and would like to see less of her.

Everyone find different presenters good and bad.

I dont not have a problem with anyones opinions about me as long as they are constructive. People often criticise without even knowing what they are on about.

Some people think that presenting products on a live shopping channel is easy so i welcome you and anyone else to have a go.

So lets see how good you are Graham maybe you could start this new feature off and have a section on your website for viewers videos

So if your up for the challenge Graham make a video of yourself as a presenter demonstrating a product of your choice and post it on here for all to see.
You can even record it and edit if you like to make it look as good as possible !!

I have now thrown down the challenge, lets see how many of you have the bottle to go ahead with it, Starting with YOU Graham !!!

I am so looking forward to seeing all of your videos !!

Simon

I didn't know which one he was either. We don't watch the car polish etc ones since we bought a bottle of sink unblocker, which wasn't cheap, and it did nothing! Once bitten twice shy. Hubby bought a bottle of sink unblocker from our pound shop and it worked over night... perfect drsin away next morning. We have used it ever since

I dont not have a problem with anyones opinions about me as long as they are constructive. People often criticise without even knowing what they are on about.

Some people think that presenting products on a live shopping channel is easy so i welcome you and anyone else to have a go.

So lets see how good you are Graham maybe you could start this new feature off and have a section on your website for viewers videos

So if your up for the challenge Graham make a video of yourself as a presenter demonstrating a product of your choice and post it on here for all to see.
You can even record it and edit if you like to make it look as good as possible !!

I have now thrown down the challenge, lets see how many of you have the bottle to go ahead with it, Starting with YOU Graham !!!

I am so looking forward to seeing all of your videos !!

Simon

I think you are totally missing the point, I HAVE NO WISH TO BE PRODUCT DEMONSTRATOR, you on the other hand do it as your job, your website promotes you as a "TV Presenter" http://www.simoniles.co.uk, you have CHOSEN to place yourself in front of the camera and as such have to take the rough with the smooth. I stick by my original comment that if you appear on television and are unable to take criticism you are in the wrong job.

I think you are totally missing the point, I HAVE NO WISH TO BE PRODUCT DEMONSTRATOR, you on the other hand do it as your job, your website promotes you as a "TV Presenter" http://www.simoniles.co.uk, you have CHOSEN to place yourself in front of the camera and as such have to take the rough with the smooth. I stick by my original comment that if you appear on television and are unable to take criticism you are in the wrong job.

How would you tell if someone can take criticism?

In what way can't he take it?

So Where is the constructive criticism as yet I have not received any as all you say is that I'm awful and I have no back bone !
I await your Constructive criticism !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back