alisons youngs little white lies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alison keeps out of the sun and looks after her skin but is she happy ?
have drank...and ate rubbish and have also looked after my skin and often not removed my make up, got sunburnt and by rights, i should be a shrivelled wreck by now but i laugh and am happy, not stoic and anal and i have not got any wrinkles, marionette lines or frown lines. I have cried, laughed and abused my skin and yet Alison never looks content to me.
I just think that she needs to take a week off and relax a little more. You can not buy happiness in a £70 jar of face cream. Even if it is on 4 easy payments !
True for me too and I am older than mizogs but have clear skin and no serious wrinkles. And shock horror....I actually wash my skin with soap & water!! :YIKES: Yes that's right......no cleansers, toners or polishers with fancy little bits of muslin :rolleyes: just tepid water and Pears soap and my skin is in great condition. No pots and pots of expensive lotions and potions to slap on afterwards either, always been an Ulay/Olay girl since my teens and the results show so I have never believed a word that this automaton spouts, it's the same old re-jigged patter with just the brand name changed. :rolleyes: I don't watch her often (only if I've tuned in by accident :D) but am always amazed that so many people continue to be taken in by her hard sell tactics. :rolleyes:
alison young has no more integrity than any other salesperson. her banter is tired, repetative and often contradictory, she is neither attractive to look at or listen to and could do with taking some of her own advice, especially in the hair department. she'll never get the push becuase she sells like a machine and thats what counts.
Don't hold back Burlz. :SUE: :pPC:

True for me too and I am older than mizogs but have clear skin and no serious wrinkles. And shock horror....I actually wash my skin with soap & water!! :YIKES: Yes that's right......no cleansers, toners or polishers with fancy little bits of muslin :rolleyes: just tepid water and Pears soap and my skin is in great condition. No pots and pots of expensive lotions and potions to slap on afterwards either, always been an Ulay/Olay girl since my teens and the results show so I have never believed a word that this automaton spouts, it's the same old re-jigged patter with just the brand name changed. :rolleyes: I don't watch her often (only if I've tuned in by accident :D) but am always amazed that so many people continue to be taken in by her hard sell tactics. :rolleyes:

Go PPC - fab post. I sooo wish though that I could use soap and water - your skin sounds amazing.
I'm not drawn in by AY's spiel - i was and have previously spent sooooo much money - i have the debts to show it but not anymore.

I do love skincare, enjoy trying different things but realise that you don't have to spend oodles of hard earned cash to fund these products.

I'm currently using neals yard - their prices are reasonable - i do favour natural skincare because for me my skin reacts to mineral oil etc - I know from years of trial and error and I must admit i do enjoy watching beauty shows but cannot be tempted to spend £75 on a jar of moisturiser or £90odd on a lifting serum.

QVC's prices are good for kits etc but i feel if i couldn't afford or aren't prepared to pay full price for something and would only buy it in a cut price kit then I really don't need it or want it that much.

Some brands are so over priced now and I'm sure the results aren't that impressive maybe they are but I won't be investing.

Agree with you both - AY seems to be getting much worse of late. She is biased towards certain brands such as Decleor and comes across in quite a derogatory fashion towards brands like Liz Earle.

My jaw nearly fell onto the floor yesterday when she was presenting items from the Urban Retreat range from Harrods. She was giving her usual spiel 'for sophisticated skincare users', 'high levels of natural ingredients' etc etc etc and then threw in the fact that one of the people involved with the brand Roja Dove sells bottles of his own perfume for £250,000 a bottle....:eek: and she used this as a reason or people to buy into the range....

If all the lotions and potions she markets worked properly she wouldn't have those suitcases under her eyes either...

I'll stick to my reasonably priced moisturiser and facewash thanks...

Hi all, new to this forum. After reading some of the comments, I felt I must tell you how much I agree with you all...have been feeling pretty fed up with AY for a while now! Am now unsure what to buy most of the time!

SOAP!!:eek: Miz Young will have you burnt at the stake for all your witchcraft and jiggery pokery!:rolleyes:

You know you MUST cleanse, tone, moisurise, balm, exfoliate, mask, brighten, lift, matify, pore refine and polish at least twice a day for goodness sake!

I'm sure the expensive brands AY pushes are great for some people but not for me.

what would be really good is some undercover spy catching AY stock piling her face and body creams in aldi or lidl :D:D

also i think when allison refers to sophistcated skin care users she means peeps with more money than sense

Last edited:
Agree with you both - AY seems to be getting much worse of late. She is biased towards certain brands such as Decleor and comes across in quite a derogatory fashion towards brands like Liz Earle.

My jaw nearly fell onto the floor yesterday when she was presenting items from the Urban Retreat range from Harrods. She was giving her usual spiel 'for sophisticated skincare users', 'high levels of natural ingredients' etc etc etc and then threw in the fact that one of the people involved with the brand Roja Dove sells bottles of his own perfume for £250,000 a bottle....:eek: and she used this as a reason or people to buy into the range....

If all the lotions and potions she markets worked properly she wouldn't have those suitcases under her eyes either...

I'll stick to my reasonably priced moisturiser and facewash thanks...

Roja, who I have met used to work for Guerlain. He created one bespoke fragrance and auctioned it for charity, that is the one which sold for £250,000. He has three in his parfumery, Enslaved is one sell for £95 and very limited supply. The two in the Urban Retreat go for £24 for 100mls and are sold in Boots.

You know you MUST cleanse, tone, moisurise, balm, exfoliate, mask, brighten, lift, matify, pore refine and polish at least twice a day for goodness sake!
LOL FFS!! I don't even know what half of those tortures are. :D :pPC:

I'm afraid AY gets' right up my hooter :mad: We can't all have perfect skin, and in my opinion, most of the stuff she goes on about is over rated and over priced. It would be interesting to hear what other beauty therapists think about AY. I bet they'd say she talks a load of rubbish :rolleyes:

You guys speak the truth - and make me laugh because I think the same thing - but I can't verbalise it as well!

I agree that Alison is a sales person first and foremost. I gave up a while ago believing that she would be willing to give impartial advice, and I got quite irritated at the fact that she would say one thing on one show and then something totally contradicting on another show.

At the end of the day, Alison wants to sell. I don't doubt that she believes these products will work - but she is the one who is accountable to the brands and may well be contractually tied to selling certain levels of products.

Of late, one of the things I've noticed she's intorduced into her selling pitch is the rolling of the eyes - as if to say - you must be stupid if you don't know the value of this. Well, maybe - but I kinda take it sarcasticly and a little insulting.

'Nuff said.

When the pot of gold does eventually appear, the one that cures the wrinkles, smooths skin tone and cures acne, it sure won't be on QVC.

It will cost £10,000 a pot, cos you will only need to use it once.

They would be killing their own market otherwise.

I think a few years ago when i first started watching QVC alison did seem to give some advice that was based on the customer's budget and skin type. i now feel she trys to sell the most expensive and does not really listen to the customer needs and budgets. i suppose she is told what to say now by her bosses. a few years ago she would never be seen on a liz earle show in fact i got the feeling she did not rate it. but now she seems to always appear on them. i get the impression that liz earle does not like her much. i do not think they get on. all her £100 pots of cream are not doing her any good. she does not seem to be looking very good skin wise.

I can't wait for HDTV to come out on QVC. Then we will see what everyone's skin REALLY looks like :eek::D:D

I can't wait for HDTV to come out on QVC. Then we will see what everyone's skin REALLY looks like :eek::D:D

:D:D This will co-incide with them flogging - probably through someone like Kirk's Folly - a magic gauze that fits over the TV screen and stops the fairies escaping. Purely coincidental that all the presenters will look like 1950s slightly foggy starlets...

I don't know how on earth people actually fall for that twaddle. On the same theme, they should start selling brown paper bags, "put it over your head to protect you from the sun...." bla bla. They'd make a mint.:rolleyes:

AY once stated that she exfoliates most days. She then said that if you over exfoliate, it can un balance the skins oils.

The one that killed me was when a woman called up and asked about her regime and where she should slot a serum in. AY told her to put about 6 different products on. Serum, eye serum, eye cream, oil, moisturiser bla bla. You could imagine this poor woman walking around with a face like an oil slick. I am fed up of AY telling people mumbo jumbo now. She is flogging all sorts and a lot of the new products are just over priced now. Prevage. Prevage is over hyped and imo just a normal moisturiser. Mine went back.

which is interesting considering that we all douse ourselves in chemicals every day without coming to any harm, and we all (or most of us) are happy to flood our bodies with chemicals when we're ill, because they cure us.

Granted, i dont want to use cheap, harsh rubbish when i go in the shower but i have a problem with the concept that a "plant oil" is any better for me than something else. i'm not a plant, my biological make up bears no resemblance to a plant, so surely plant oil is just as alien to my body as oil made from petrochemicals?

This is so true - every time Keely (or whoever it is) starts going on about padina pavonika (or whatever) preserving old ships at the bottom of the Pacific, I am aghast that she thinks that shows it will prevent skin ageing. I don't think my face and a plank of oak have that much in common!

There are plenty of natural derivatives that are useful - aspirin comes from tree bark, and substances like aloe are proven to reduce inflammation, but it doesn't follow that every plant substance is going to be effective and safe. Deadly nightshade face cream, anyone?! Same with synthetics - we keep hearing how mineral oil is 'bad' because it can't be absorbed and leaves a film on the skin, but that might be a good thing if you want a surface treatment, or are delivering an ingredient that could be harmful to other organs if absorbed (skin is porous, after all).

I think they underestimate the intelligence of most of their customers when they come out with these daft pseduo-scientific comments.

I must rush to Alison's defence in the "suitcases" department, they're not subject to skincare or lifestyle adjustment - there's nothing she can do about them short of having her orbital bone shaved/reshaped, or having the trough filled in with Restylane or somesuch which would probably turn out a mess. I bet if we could find (unretouched) photos of her in her younger days they'd be there in all their glory.

As for her hair, she's among millions who have fallen victim to the longstanding fad for hair straightening when they never should have gone near a hot iron because their skull's too flat and forehead too low. When Chavez or diCesare flounced up her hair she looked dated, yes, but so much prettier.

Having said all that, her presentations appal me, but selling and honesty just don't go together. I'd like her to do me a facial though, it looks like she's got good hands.

clemenzina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back