Who is this woman insulting my intelligence?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
What a dreadful presenter. Apparently a green tourmaline ring being sold for £129 has the finest tourmaline money can buy! GIVE ME A BREAK. I hate, with a passion, over-stated over-hyped inaccurate rubbish.

While I'm having a moan, I have to say that I have recently returned to watching GemsTV occasionally BUT had the shock of my life last weekend when Carole Roache appeared on screen and screamed her way through the presentations. Even my 8 year old daughter said "Mummy does that woman ever shut up". Says it all really and the telly was switched over to save our bleeding ears.

Rant over!

GemsTV presenter.jpg

I've bought a few things from Gems and been really pleased with them, but I find it difficult to watch because of the presenting style. All the shouting and silly gesticulating that goes on makes me turn over! Steve, Scott and Fiona do not present this way and I could watch them all day long. They are more informative about the actual stones - rather than constantly repeating themselves about value etc.

I also struggle with the falling auction concept - I find it insulting to my intelligence that they start the auctions off so vastly over-priced to make it look like you get more of a bargain. They have some great products at great prices so I don't know why they can't just let them speak for themselves and present as they do on QVC - Gems are doing themselves a disservice in my humble opinion.

Now that's my rant over too!

I do know what you mean but falling auctions are falling auctions! Like you, I much prefer an educated, calm style of presenting i.e. this gem comes from [location], it's typically mined by [insert process], [insert any special qualities about the gem] etc etc. I get fed up of hearing "wow", "stunning", "top quality", "red carpet" incessant screaming etc etc. Enthusiasm and passion comes through if you genuinely love gemstones, the presenters who resort to yelling are just sales people and I think that's the biggest difference.

I just phoned CS today to buy something off the web and was SOOOOOO patronised by a young girl that I couldn't be bothered to buy and said not to bother. I think I can live without another piece of jewellery! lol

I'm really on a rant aren't I? Must be in need of a good sleep (or a bottle of wine)!

I remember when Steve would come on Rocks.TV and say that the item was the best quality but for the price it was selling it was the best quality pound for pound. How times have changed.

PJ

I agree with you all and mind if I also join in with a rant?

I used to stick up for Gems in the past and admit to still having a soft spot for them...never quite warmed to TJC / Rocks and Co etc. But they are making it hard for me to watch unless certain presenters are on - usually the fellas - for all the reasons mentioned above. Carol has become unwatchable for me, does she think she's a 'one woman stageshow'?
Calm down dear and stop the gabbling please.

Matt on GemsXtra is so calm and humorous, its a pleasure to watch him and would include Scott, Rod and Alan and Jim when he's on.

What really bugs me also and have mentioned it before, but that awful outdated and too loud muzack also puts me right off. Why they have stuck with it all these years and yet the promos videos and clips have some very pleasant accompanying music?? Its all too much of an offence to the ears....imho!
Oh dear I have ranted.....:blush:......sorry. Don't know who that presenter was, never seen her before.

And just have to add " grating Gemma". Give me a break my ears are bleeding with your awwwww this is lovely , talking as if I am 2 years old . Steve please tell her to stop - I think she's just trying to come across as friendly but it's not working

Me too, can't stand the way Hannah speaks to me. Like we know nothing about jewellery. There is no need to rant about value and how much we'll pay else where - we KNOW!!

Did anyone catch producer Steph filling in for her when she was off? She was friendly and very informative. I'd much rather be given info on the gemstones by someone talking to me like I'm an adult rather then spatting on about price. We do have a clue afterall. I didn't mind watching Steph she seemed lovely, would like to see more of her on screen.

Latest posts

Back