Basso Fri 19th Sept

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Like other posters, I have no wish to start a fight but I'd like to be able to state my views. I firmly believe the welfare of humans is paramount and, although I'm not an animal lover, I never will condone cruelty to animals. I do not understand the mentality of those who gain pleasure from barbaric practices.

However, when every human on the planet has access to medical care and education, adequate nutrition, safe drinking water and shelter, then I'll speak for the animal kingdom.

Hi everyone , just joined st today ,I am disgusted by QVC selling dennis basso products ,I didn't realise what a cruel *astard he was till I read the posts on here .I was considering buying one of his coats till I read about him on here but will keep my hard earned money in my pocket ,it beggars belief that QVC UK have anything to do with this vile man

I don't wear real fur, as generally people don't eat mink, fox etc. and I think to kill something just to be decorative is wrong.

I think lawrenson has hit the nail in the head for me. I agree that these are matters of personal value, and for me (as an animal-loving meat eater) it's the pointlessness of fur which is offensive. I accept (though I will admit to feeling at times a tad unconfortable about this) that most animals kill other animals to feed themselves. But breeding and killing animals just because their fur is perceived to be a luxury item and a status symbol? I don't get that. Things like rabbit fur, I can conceive of, as it represents a byproduct of the meat industry, but the notion of killing certain animals for the fur only seems terribly cruel. I am not sure my position would withstand close intellectual scrutiny, but that's how I make the distinction in my head (if it makes sense...).

I just can not eat meat fish ect as I just see a corpse in my minds eye.
weather it's a human an animal or bird a dead body is a dead body.
Flesh starts to rot very quickly after death and the thought of decaying
meat just makes me ill.

I eat meat happily, I wear leather. I have no urge to wear real fur as there is simply no need to. Fake fur is cool by me, Dennis Basso isn't selling his real fur on QVC, so what's the problem? And if he was - it's not my business to dictate to others, no matter how misguided i think they are :)

I eat meat happily, I wear leather. I have no urge to wear real fur as there is simply no need to. Fake fur is cool by me, Dennis Basso isn't selling his real fur on QVC, so what's the problem? And if he was - it's not my business to dictate to others, no matter how misguided i think they are :)

The problem is that by buying into the Basso brand whather you're buying fake or real fur you're condoning what he does and giving him the revenue to carry on doing it. Buy buying his clothes you're also making the chances of him getting more airtime and selling more stuff on QVC more likely. I eat meat, I wear leather too - but I would never wear real fur, simply because of the way it is caught and killed. I've no reason to want to drape myself in the remains of a cruelly killed innocent animal, and nor do I want to wear faux dead remains of an animal either.

I'm utterly shocked and surprised that a company such as QVC that maintains it is an ethical company continues to give this man and his awful products airtime.

The problem is that by buying into the Basso brand whather you're buying fake or real fur you're condoning what he does and giving him the revenue to carry on doing it. Buy buying his clothes you're also making the chances of him getting more airtime and selling more stuff on QVC more likely. I eat meat, I wear leather too - but I would never wear real fur, simply because of the way it is caught and killed. I've no reason to want to drape myself in the remains of a cruelly killed innocent animal, and nor do I want to wear faux dead remains of an animal either.

I'm utterly shocked and surprised that a company such as QVC that maintains it is an ethical company continues to give this man and his awful products airtime.
couldn't agree more

Don't forget too that there have been instances of real fur/animal hair mixed in with so called faux fur.

In the US, fur does not have to be declared as real unless the garment contains more than $150 worth of real fur and many manufacturers and stockists including Burberry, Calvin Klein, Saks and Bloomingdales have been proven guilty of selling garments with faux fur collars, trims etc. which have, in truth, been real fur, often from cats and dogs. There is nothing to suggest that Basso's garments would be any different!

I just can not eat meat fish ect as I just see a corpse in my minds eye.
weather it's a human an animal or bird a dead body is a dead body.
Flesh starts to rot very quickly after death and the thought of decaying
meat just makes me ill.

im like u willy, when people say 'leg of lamb' or chicken wings or wotever i see it in my minds eye on their plate with the fur still attached etc . i thought it was just me

im like u willy, when people say 'leg of lamb' or chicken wings or wotever i see it in my minds eye on their plate with the fur still attached etc . i thought it was just me

Me too, the thought of eating the rotting corpse of a deceased animal makes me feel physically ill.
To lighten the tone slightly, my dear beloved (Not) ex-husband once bought me a sheepskin coat knowing how I felt about it, he got very upset when I refused to wear it, but just to show how thoughtful I am, when I left him and took all my stuff I very kindly left him the sheepskin coat, now don't you think that was kind and thoughtful?:4:

So, it does all just boil down to personal choice then, some are offended by eating/wearing animal products, and others aren't?

So, it does all just boil down to personal choice then, some are offended by eating/wearing animal products, and others aren't?

Well, if the forum is here to give us all a space to voice our opinions I'd say personal choice is the way to go Tootsie. And let's hope the forum always lets us be ourselves!! :1:

Good post :10:

I was watching the 8pm Basso show with Claudia. Dennis Basso mentioned his couture coats in terms of comparing the prices to his faux coats. Claudia quickly said she would never wear real fur. He didn't really reply to that. I thought it was good of Claudia to make her feeling known.

Like other posters, I have no wish to start a fight but I'd like to be able to state my views. I firmly believe the welfare of humans is paramount and, although I'm not an animal lover, I never will condone cruelty to animals. I do not understand the mentality of those who gain pleasure from barbaric practices.

However, when every human on the planet has access to medical care and education, adequate nutrition, safe drinking water and shelter, then I'll speak for the animal kingdom.

In absolute total agreement. Well said.

I understand that some people believe human life is more important than animal life but I don't agree.

My darling house rabbit has many different moods, he expresses excitement, curiosity, affection, fear, boredom, naughtiness. First thing in the morning he races round the house leaping into the air out of sheer joy at being a bun. He knows when I'm upset and tries to comfort me, he loves to play games and we have competitions together (who can wriggle out from under the rug first - he always wins). He understands a lot of what I say ("litter tray, please, Hendrix") and we communicate in lots of other ways too. When he wants fresh food he will lead me to his bowl and look into it pointedly. Sometimes he behaves like a sulky teenager flicking his back legs up at me in disgust at my actions ("I'm only going into my hutch because I WANT to, not because you SAID so"). He loves being massaged and you can see the look of purest pleasure on his face while Daddy gives him a good ear rub.

There's no way I could dismiss animals as "dumb" or with anything less of a self than I have. Surely the mark of a civilised society is how it treats its most vulnerable - it's our duty to love and respect the animals we share this earth with.

Here endeth my lesson. :1:

I understand that some people believe human life is more important than animal life but I don't agree.

I'm really not wanting to get into a silly argument here but are you really saying if it came to a decision between saving a human's life and an animal's life you'd put them both on equal footing?

I'm really not wanting to get into a silly argument here but are you really saying if it came to a decision between saving a human's life and an animal's life you'd put them both on equal footing?

Wouldnt be like you Tootsie, would it?

Totally agree with Houserabbit, most of the time your better off with animals than some people!

Latest posts

Back