Basso Fri 19th Sept

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Leather goods can be made from cows that die of natural causes and i don't think silk worms are harmed in the process of silk making.

HQ, your ideals are great, but unfortunately is an idealistic Utopian existence, I agree it would be lovely if all things were equal and all resources were equally divided, all opportunities equally shared and we were all equal, but this is real life, and it is a world of inequality. It is nice to have Utopian ideals, but they do not exist in our world, are impractical and unworkable, and will not work, will not help anyone or anything, and have little application. Nice to think about, and yes, it would be great, but the world will never be a level playing field, and operates upon a system of inequalities already with importances placed upon us from the second we are born. It is nice to try to eradicate these, but futile.

This is not an ideal world.

If we were all vegetarian or vegan, how many people do you know that would keep a pet cow?

Actually that's just your opinion.
That kind of attitude reminds me of people who won't give to charities helping people in different countries, because "If it's not on my doorstep I don't care".

Animals can't speak for themselves so they have to be protected. Why should they be born simply to provide us with clothes and food? Why should they be tortured simply to make our stomachs full for a few hours or make a handbag.

Yes a lot of humans can't look after themselves, and we should help them. Thing is, we can help them and animals at the same time. It's not a 'one or the other' type situation.

Harley Quinn I have re-read my post and I can't see the place where I have assumed the 'Nimby' attitude you accuse me of. I'm currently studying for a Master's degree looking at poverty in the two-thirds world and the efforts made by the developed world to help overcome the dire situation, so please do not accuse me of neglecting those who live in different countries. I care deeply and hope to be able to put what I've learned to good use to help my fellow humans. I could write on this for hours but I think my time would be better spent working on my dissertation.

I don't think anyone is right on this issue, either you choose to wear fur or you don't, it is that simple really.

Personnally I cannot say wether or not I like Basso as I have never met him, he could be the loviest guy in the world, I just don't like his business.

I agree with Harley Quinn that it is not an either/or situation. You can show respect for both humans and animals at the same time.

I have observed that the way people treat animals often reflects how they treat each other. Behind every dangerous dog is a dangerous owner...who keeps killer dogs "for protection" or to scare people unless they're aggressive themselves?

Eating meat is a valid choice, it can be produced humanely and we are after all designed with incisors fitted as standard. It's easy to be veggie in our privileged "first world", most of the world would be grateful for anything to eat to keep them alive. I just believe that there is more to animals than their usefulness to humans - and we should treat their lives with respect.

Latest posts

Back