Smashbox made in China

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

P

Pinkearplugs

Guest Shopper
Just looked at the up and coming TSV. Half of it is made in China !

I am sick of this now. I have read such stuff re the cosmetic industry in China and I wont be buying this now !
A while ago someone on E-bay was selling fake Smashbox from China. Hmm turns out some of its made over there now ! I would rather pay extra for European or American/ Canadian product that I trust. They need to wake up and listen here. Im not putting no muck on my mush made in China and also the people are paid peanuts and so i dislike the way the workers are treated.
Back to Clarins for me now.:64:

Yes it's a weird place no human rights no animal rights,even last week in the disabled Olympics disabled people were banned from the streets.

If we didn't buy the goods produced in China how would 'Joe/Josephine Ordinary' and family survive? I know it's a dilemma, but how would Chinese people make ends meet if we didn't buy goods produced there?

OMG , i am just boycotting anything now made in China and it never says on the website so i will ask when ordering where its made from now on. I have 2 things im sending back tomorrow. I feel im being conned here.

Not so long ago I bought a Steiff panda then read in a newspaper that due to bad workmanship Steiff were relocating their China factory back to Germany.
I was so surprised to learn about China as when you listen to the Steiff guests going on about the heritage of the name and the history it never occurred to me that the bears would be made elsewhere. I love the panda dearly and the wee minature bear my daughter gave me last Christmas it just would have been an added touch for them to have been made in Margarite Stieff's home land.

If we didn't buy the goods produced in China how would 'Joe/Josephine Ordinary' and family survive? I know it's a dilemma, but how would Chinese people make ends meet if we didn't buy goods produced there?

Its not my problem to prop up the Chinese economy as so many companies in this country have closed down and made British people unemployed whilst they have relocated to China. How have Chinese people made ends meet since the dawning of time ? same could be said for how do the families here who were made redundant make ends meet when they closed down our factories.
Its a matter of all sorts of my own reservations and up to the individual and im not preaching or trying to tell people what to do. I am not happy with Chinese cheap tat being passed off as quality when in my experience, it certainly is not quality.
Take Marks and Spencer for example. Years ago, you knew knickers would wash well and last and it was good quality. Most often now, its made in China and falls to bits.
How about the pollution they are churning out in these factories and sweatshops and Bra Cities ? Primark is a shop that has cheap tat made in China and so is QVC now with lots of stuff so what's the difference ?
What about the eco system with the stuff being imported her via aeroplanes polluting the atmosphere. The lady who hates Basso has a point and feels very strongly about him and this is how i feel about Chinese goods. Its just my own principles and views and i see what you mean but im coming at it from a different perspective.

Not so long ago I bought a Steiff panda then read in a newspaper that due to bad workmanship Steiff were relocating their China factory back to Germany.
I was so surprised to learn about China as when you listen to the Steiff guests going on about the heritage of the name and the history it never occurred to me that the bears would be made elsewhere. I love the panda dearly and the wee minature bear my daughter gave me last Christmas it just would have been an added touch for them to have been made in Margarite Stieff's home land.

:shocked: i didnt even know that .I guess my fault for presuming that STEIFF would produce in their own homeland...Golly proves that we just havent got a clue anymore doesnt it ...I have bought steiff for all of my kiddies....Glad to see they will be now made back in Germany though.

Smashbox is made in USA and Canada. The brushes in in the TSV are made in China the other packaging is made in China.

Unfortunately Pinkearplugs 99% of products are made in China in everyday life now. On QVC US community board they are always going on about support products made in the USA. But there are so few they are hard to find and cost alot, infact some pointed out if products where once again made in the USA no one could actually afford to buy them. People are so used to cheap products, that if products started appearing made in the UK/Europe you will have to pay designers price which the normal person cannot afford. Look at Primark why is it so popular, because the products are very cheap and up to date. People see the documentaries about the clothes made by child labour in India and other places. Does it stop them, no.

As for cosmetics and makeup Liz Earle and Elemis are two of the few UK brands. I do not count the Body Shop as they are owned by L'Oreal.
The French brands YSL, Sisley(Italian), Chanel, Guerlain etc are expensive. Perhaps Boots own brands too. Many companies sold in chemists etc say distributed by a brand name but are infact are made in China to keep the cost down. A friend always used Boots No7 skincare and makeup. She discover the prices kept going up and up and the packaging getting smaller as well. She has now said because of the current cost of living situtation Boots is getting beyond her purse of picking up a foundation or face cream.

'We' have been driving down prices for years. By wanting more and more cheaper goods we have forced production to places where they can be produced under pay and conditions we would not accept in this country.

The thing for me is that 'we' are still doing it to our farmers. British farming continues to take a hammering as 'we' want cheap milk so that milk producers fail and cows are pushed to be milked 3 times a day. Pigs must be kept to 'our' British standards so 'we' buy danish because its cheaper as 'their' standards are not so high.

Yes it's a weird place no human rights no animal rights,even last week in the disabled Olympics disabled people were banned from the streets.

OMGoodness is that true??????? I don't read papers, magazines and I rarely listen to the news (24hr news is far into scare mongering now) so I tend to miss alot with only reading ceefax.(occasionally)

Sadly this is a typical response when this issue arrises and one I have heard many times from companies, goverments and news agencies. If we all thought like that then companies would get away with 'murder' so to speak.

OMG , i am just boycotting anything now made in China and it never says on the website so i will ask when ordering where its made from now on. I have 2 things im sending back tomorrow. I feel im being conned here.

Good luck with that hun, you should also try to avoid 'Nestle' and 'proctor and gamble' products, damn near impossible, like trying to avoid air itself. lol

( I am being sarcastic by the way not horrible cause you just cannot avoid them)

Was that you who put the article on here?
I showed it to my mum, she love steiff, and she was appaulled, we looked at the tags on the bears and seem to have forgotten to mention that little gem of information.
It was a very good thread you did (if it was you) and eye opening as well.

I'm amazed that so many of you believe all the negative press that comes from China. Having lived and worked over there as recently as three years ago I can tell you 100% that there are disabled people - on the streets, in schools, even in the toilets! Please remember, boycotting products made in China (or any other country) has a negative effect on those people you most profess to care about and NOT the companies who make the products.

Also, for those who refuse to buy Dennis Basso I hope you feel the same about the Eel products from Lee Sands and the leather from Markon, Centigrade etc

Last edited:
I'm amazed that so many of you believe all the negative press that comes from China. Having lived and worked over there as recently as three years ago I can tell you 100% that there are disabled people - on the streets, in schools, even in the toilets! Please remember, boycotting products made in China (or any other country) has a negative effect on those people you most profess to care about and NOT the companies who make the products.

Also, for those who refuse to buy Dennis Basso I hope you feel the same about the Seal products from Lee Sands and the leather from Markon, Centigrade etc

Lee Sands(I don't buy it), it is eel not seal.

The disabled story is true it was on Sky News and News 24,they skin cats and dogs by boiling them in an oil and water mixture in public markets,i will PM you the link if you want,their human rights record is public knowledge just do a quick Google.

The disabled story is true it was on Sky News and News 24,they skin cats and dogs by boiling them in an oil and water mixture in public markets,i will PM you the link if you want,their human rights record is public knowledge just do a quick Google.

OH no please don't PM that, I am having a hard enough time dealing with a distressing letter I read about a pigeon. Plus all the other disgusting animal cruelty cases I have read about, I could not cope with much more.

Not that I am buring my head in the sand its just I tend to have one of those natures that when I read about them, as I unable to do anything about it, it makes me feel ill then I have difficulty eating and sleeping.

I really does make me quite ill. I think I just care to much and take it all onboard emotionally.

Snoopy, I understand your feelings however, I found very little of the negative media we hear about from China to be true. The government may be a crock of doodoo but the people are amongst the nicest I have worked with anywhere in the world( and I travel/work overseas a lot ). I guess you have to understand the mentality of people who where literally starving and would eat ANYTHING. They think we are strange how we differentiate between animals that are pets or not. Finally, I think you will find its the Koreans that eat Cat although I did see PIGS PENIS on several menu's in southern and western China. I'm a vegetarian so would no more eat a PIGS PENIS than a LAMBS LEG, a CHICKEN's WING or an OX's Tail!

I have just checked some of my Smashbox items - all purchased this year. None were bought on Ebay. The blusher and the face fusions are made in China - the Halo is made in the USA. So it's a mixture.

I am trusting that Smashbox vet the ingredients and I have had no reactions with their make up.

I would prefer if we knew where ingredients came from and which makes are made where and from what - but the whole cosmetic industry is a minefield.

And people in this country boil lobsters alive, slit calves throats, gut cows when they're only stunned and all manner of equally horrid things. Hurting animals is the same no matter what animal.

Latest posts

Back