Thompson & Morgan grrrr...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sublime

Registered Shopper
In case anyone's about to order from Thompson & Morgan this year, I thought you'd like a quick heads-up.

This year they've changed their plant packaging, and it's awful.

72 plug plants turned up yesterday, a month early. The packaging didn't hold the plants in transit, so they were mashed.
I've just tried to salvage what I can, but instead of the vigorous, well formed plantlets you usually get, well, let's just say I've seen bigger cress in Tesco. They're obviously cutting costs by sending out plugs almost as soon as the seeds have germinated.

I could have saved £17 and just bought a packet of seeds.

I'm about to email T&M. Watch this space.

I have had a similar experience. Plants they said would arrive the end of April arrived mid March and were in a pretty ropey state. Out of 10, 2 died within the week. Better product on the market stalls.

Thanks, Concordia, I thought it was just me!

I've emailed T&M and got an acknowledgement saying there'd be a delay before they could respond. What's the betting some poor customer service person is facing wading through a torrent of similar complaints?

Incidentally, does anyone know if T&M still supplies QVC? If so, that'll be another source to steer clear of!

That really sucks, Sublime. I almost feel glad that I am totally disorganised this year and haven't ordered any plants yet.

Yeah ... sigh.

T&M still haven't responded to my complaint, and I really don't want to get fobbed off with a handful of discount vouchers if/when they do.

It's such a shame, they used to be head and shoulders above the opposition.
I was a faithful customer, spending hundreds of pounds with T&M every year, but now it's time to switch allegiance, I think.

Anyone have any recommendations, please?

Incidentally, does anyone know if T&M still supplies QVC? If so, that'll be another source to steer clear of!

Yes, they do.

I ordered the geraniums that were the recent TSV and have a feeling they were from T&M. I just hope they arrive looking like plants, rather than dead weeds, or they'll be going straight back.

Phew ......... I can relax. The geraniums are from Hayloft. I'm sure T&M still supploy QVC though.

Last edited:
Ha, result! 'Dan' from T&M has left a voicemail message to say that they're replacing my mashed seedlings.

Trouble is, I'm away over Easter, so the chances are I'll get back to a package which has either been kicked round the sorting office, or it's currently drying out on the doormat.

Still, it was worth the time it took to send feedback.

Last edited:
I'm glad it's been sorted out and I hope that your replacement plants arrive safe and sound this time and that they give you the colour that you want in your garden.

My Hayloft geranium TSV arrived yesterday and the packaging was ideal as they all arrived 'unmashed' and looking healthy - and also far bigger than I thought they would be. They've now been put in pots and are staying indoors until the final frosts have gone. Here's hoping that I don't finish them off when I put them in the garden!

Had a similar prob last year, ordered a cottage garden pack (something like that) that included red hot pokers, they arrived without the RHP, no not explaining why so i rang them and asked. They were v helpful, she was suprised that there was no note, and i got £15 vouchers, however they have since expired, as everytime i went to use them the code wouldnt work or there was nothing i fancied. So in short, i gave up, and probably wont be buying from them again. Aldi or local garden centres and nurseries are a better bet in opinion!!

I buy almost all my plants from T&M and must admit their plug plants are smaller this year and packaging has changed but I've always found their customer service brilliant, if plants arrive damaged or they just die after planting they will always replace them without question. I have also bought from Van Meuwen and tend to think they are connected with T&M as their address in Jersey is almost the same and their packaging and instruction leaflets are identical plus the advertising leaflets you tend to get inside the packaging is also identical.

Latest posts

Back