Centigrade silly sizing!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nicky-j

Registered Shopper
I've just received one of the centigrade coats I ordered last week. Last year I ordered 134465. They gave the measurements out on air and to allow for jumpers etc underneath I found I needed to order the 3X. It fits great and even though I have gone down a size in clothes this year (I am now size 20-22 rather than 22-24), it is still ok so this year I decided to order a faux shearling 124613. Now I know that this has a thicker lining so decided that I should go for the same size. This arrived this morning and you could get two of me in there! In fact I could wear last year's 3X "Wool" coat underneath it and still have room for three or four jumpers. I've just checked on the website and followed Glen Campbell's advice that for a faux shearling coat you should measure around your chest and then add four or five inches to find the right size in the coat. According to the measurements for 124613 I actually need a size XL! Which is now the size I take in everything else (except last year's Centigrade coat)! Indeed if I wasn't worried about putting a thick sweater under there I could get away with the Large! Incidentally the inch measurement for that faux shearling coat is listed on line as 10 inches larger than a similar, but shorter one!
I really love QVC but am so irritated by this silly sizing! I know we are different sizes in different brands, and that different cuts can make a difference, but surely not from 3X to XL? Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
I have, most recently with YBF Stacey's clothes. Her size chart said I should order a 3x when QVC measurements said an xl. This time QVC were right...and I don't try her clothes anymore - haven't found one that fit properly.

you'd have thought QVC with their "huge buying power" might be able to enforce specific sizing across all their ranges...it would mean that once you found your right size in one brand you would not have to read between the lines for the next. It is absurd that there is all this guesswork involved! I have only bought a few clothing items from QVC because the sizing was wrong, and looked nothing like the images. In this way QVC is harder to shop from than other internet companies as the sizes chop and change all the time, information is scarce and images are often obscured by odd positions models take etc.

you'd have thought QVC with their "huge buying power" might be able to enforce specific sizing across all their ranges...it would mean that once you found your right size in one brand you would not have to read between the lines for the next. It is absurd that there is all this guesswork involved! I have only bought a few clothing items from QVC because the sizing was wrong, and looked nothing like the images. In this way QVC is harder to shop from than other internet companies as the sizes chop and change all the time, information is scarce and images are often obscured by odd positions models take etc.

I've not really had much of a problem with their sizing before. I can accept that items from different manufacturers might be different in their sizing. What I do find hard to understand is why two items from the same range should be so varied.:33:

I've noticed this with centigrade before - I bought one of the last TSVs last year, the funnel neck coat, bought it in the XS and it fitted perfectly. Last week, I bought the Parka on the website in XS, chest size was allegedly the same but it was miles too big (and slightly off topic, but it was incredibly poor quality too - sent it back yesterday). XS tends to generally be a 38 inch chest, but they were showing a faux shearling coat on Friday and the XS chest on that was 46 inches! There seems to be no rhyme or reason at all!

I've noticed this with centigrade before - I bought one of the last TSVs last year, the funnel neck coat, bought it in the XS and it fitted perfectly. Last week, I bought the Parka on the website in XS, chest size was allegedly the same but it was miles too big (and slightly off topic, but it was incredibly poor quality too - sent it back yesterday). XS tends to generally be a 38 inch chest, but they were showing a faux shearling coat on Friday and the XS chest on that was 46 inches! There seems to be no rhyme or reason at all!

That's the coat I bought last year - the funnel neck one. I've checked the measurements online (where they have the noted that is) and in Centigrade they're all over the place. I'l just have to remember to check the actual measurements rather than the "size".
If there's a coat in there that's 46 inches at XS, I could seriously fit into a S! That's silly! I've never fitted into one of those - and never could - my rib cage is larger than that, never mind all the other curvy bits that attach to it!

Last edited:

QVC are no differnt to most other high street retailers then.

QVC are no differnt to most other high street retailers then.

Like I say I don't mind that different brands measure sizes differently. But it's silly when the same size in the same brand can measure so differently from one coat to another.

I just wish they would use the same sizings as most high street shops!...8...10....12....14 ect..ect :33..have the funnel coat on waitlist, but guessed at the size :54:

daydreamer

Like I say I don't mind that different brands measure sizes differently. But it's silly when the same size in the same brand can measure so differently from one coat to another.

I am on about the same brand and the same style, I have some M&S trousers the same style same size and some are bigger than others. I have even heard the assistants say to customers in there to get another pair off the rack. My freiend even measured 2 pair of the same size trousers and there was over 1/2 inch difference in the measurements.

I am on about the same brand and the same style, I have some M&S trousers the same style same size and some are bigger than others. I have even heard the assistants say to customers in there to get another pair off the rack. My freiend even measured 2 pair of the same size trousers and there was over 1/2 inch difference in the measurements.

I suppose I can understand half an inch here or there - although this shouldn't happen. Some of these Centigrade differences are 8 to 10 inches!

Latest posts

Back