Pricing of made jewellery!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Beading Belle

Registered Shopper
Flicking yesterday and today to see what's in. Shocked at the prices they were assuming one could sell the made jewellery for :giggle:

A sliding know bracelet with just 1 agate bead £15

A 5 strand knitted bracelet with basic beads £60- £100

I would love to make similar pieces, they can buy them off me for these prices and put it on display in their designer shop :wonder::giggle:

This was long a worry for me even when I was enjoying JM. To suggest such high expectations for people who are just starting out is nothing short of wicked, and this company are the people who've started doing a business course for jewellery makers. Appalling! Some of their customers who are new to it all are spending huge amounts of money expecting a healthy return, you've only to read the FB page to see how many people are struggling to sell even at realistic prices. This is a seriously competitive business and to command high prices you have to do a lot more than just thread a few cracked and broken beads onto a piece of cheap ribbon. They'll need good insurance too due to the amount of cleaning and/or replacement of clothing due to the high volume of dye leakage from JM beads that no amount of bead washing can fix. xxxxxxxxxx

To expect realistic pricing from JM ( and Gems ) is too much to ask for. You only need to see their airy fairy starting prices on both beads and ready made jewellery to realise they just think of a number and then treble it. The world is awash with beads, handmade jewellery and people trying to earn a living or even just a few quid from it and JM don`t help when they quote unrealistic expectations. I do beading as a hobby and simply make fairly basic stuff but I don`t buy from JM nor watch it anymore.

:giggle:
That is what brand is known for. While having your own brand you are the only one deciding that what price will go for which product? Though quality matters too, but as I have experienced this thing myself, once got a chance to work with a garments brand and they were going to display their dresses, a lady sitting in the designing room asking the dress designer what price you have decided for this particular dress? She said we are going to display it at a cost of $50 and the dress was pretty casual, there were no fancy stuff or classy embroidery knitted on that dress but the prices were so high somehow. So, at last, this is the team who is going to decide the price of a product regardless of the fact that the price is fair enough or not.

Last edited:
When they first started JM years ago, the beads and findings were competitively priced, but I was watching it the other day for the first time in about 18 months and I was shocked at how the prices for even common gemstones like agate have shot up in price. I was at a craft fair a few months back, and there were at least 3 stalls of people trying to sell their own jewellery - and the prices were a lot cheaper than those that have been quoted on JM. If I made my own jewellery, I would be searching the internet for other suppliers, as I think JM are nowhere near the most reasonable, by a long way.

It's high time they reined in these shopping channels - they quote ridiculous figures, with no real proof to back up their claims - and of course some people will be hooked in by it.

This was long a worry for me even when I was enjoying JM. To suggest such high expectations for people who are just starting out is nothing short of wicked, and this company are the people who've started doing a business course for jewellery makers. Appalling! Some of their customers who are new to it all are spending huge amounts of money expecting a healthy return, you've only to read the FB page to see how many people are struggling to sell even at realistic prices. This is a seriously competitive business and to command high prices you have to do a lot more than just thread a few cracked and broken beads onto a piece of cheap ribbon. They'll need good insurance too due to the amount of cleaning and/or replacement of clothing due to the high volume of dye leakage from JM beads that no amount of bead washing can fix. xxxxxxxxxx

Ebay is awash with jewellery sellers as are many other online sites.As a newbie to beading i have only used jewellerymaker once,it was my first order and they completely messed it up,not impressed.I have since found several really good sites for both gemstone beads and findings etc,where the quality of tools and super swift post has really been impressive.I do feel sorry for the long standing customers of jewellerymaker as facebook has had lots of complaints mostly blaming Colin Wagstaffe,however i have noticed the complaints have a strikingly familiar tone to similar complaints about the direction and quality of Gems tv eg. price hikes and poor quality of stones etc and the only common denominator is Mr.Bennett imho,shame for the customers isnt it.

I know Steve Bennett sold them on, but JM were going down the slippery slope before this. However, the prices seem to have gone up tremendously since Colin W. took over - I wonder they are selling much at all. As far as Gems goes, Steve Bennett should try employing some decent presenters - all he seems to do is employ clones of other new ones at the channel who screech non-stop (it's becoming a bit like motormouth Vicki on Rocks TV, sadly).. There are precious few of the original presenters left at Gems now, as he seems to have got rid of most of them (or they got rid of themselves).

Well, that is how business works. Putting high price increases sales and in return makes more money. :mysmilie_11:

Latest posts

Back