Hope it chokes them!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
This petty in the scheme of things but -

I sell my excess homemade marmalade and chutneys. I make very little profit but it covers the cost of what I keep for myself and give to friends and family. I've been doing it for a long time, lots of people love it and I have regular customers. It goes out on a little table and people put the money in the post box or through the letter box.

There hasn’t been much chance to sell it this year, what with the weather, but Tuesday was perfect. When I went to check the post box for mail I noticed several jars had gone - £8.00 worth, but there was only £3 in the box! What does make them, a half honest thief?

I thought maybe they would come back apologising they had no change or something, but no.

I'm so angry, it's not about the money, it’s the fact I can no longer do this for all the people that enjoy it. I shall put a sign up to tell people to call but it's not the same, taken all the pleasure out of it.

Shame Frazzle! There's always a few who manage to spoil it for everyone else. It makes you wonder why they didn't just take it without putting anything in the box?

Yes, it is odd. It has occurred to me that maybe somebody had actually bought a large jar and someone else made off with the others - I shall never know!

I think that on your new sign you should add that, very sadly, it's now necessary because someone abused your trust by .... etc, etc.

You never know, it might actually shame the person responsible into thinking about their actions.

How awful, what a rotten thing to do, but then again perhaps they did pay for it and someone stole a £5 note?

Either way it stinks. Thieving really gets my goat, you are doing a nice thing and there will always be scumbags who think its ok to help themselves when others work hard to buy things and have a bit of pride.

Hope the jar has lots of big pieces of fruit that indeed do choke them, thieving sods

Having said that they would probably try and sue you :down:

Oh no - I am upset this has happened because I love the tittle tables/shelves/benches that I see selling stuff, the amount of times if we are driving by I'll nearly emergency stop the motor (only when safe) to have a nosey and whats for sale & buy some
Some people are right rude scummers & ruin it for the rest of us, I get right cross at them & want to tell em off
*shakes fist at the sky*

I had an aunt who had a fairly big plant nursery and sold packs of bedding plants at the front of the property on a large barrow with a price list attached and asked customers to put the money through the letter box and most people were totaly honest and paid the price and sometimes she would find more money because they possibly did'nt have the correct amount of change but at times she would have some stolen and she used laugh and put a curse on them and say I hope the plants they stole die for their dishonesty but the reason she kept on selling like this is simply because if she had to answer the bell every time someone wanted to buy a strip of plants she would have to leave the green house or polly tunnel to serve them and have a polite chat and she could'nt really spare the time as she ran it almost single handedly but its quite sad that she worked incredibly hard all her life and some people think its ok to just take stuff.I do understand your frustration Frazzle

Thanks everyone - it's very disappointing. But on the bright side it's the first time it's happened, maybe I'll give it a while and put it out again - I rather like being known as the marmalade lady lol!

I'm suprised you've managed such a venture for so long without something like this happening before! round our way if it's not nailed to the floor it'll be stolen! ...And I consider myself to live in a quite respectable part of town. I sadly had to stop having my milk, bread and other groceries from the milkman being delivered 'cause some ar$ehole kept nicking it! I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you, it makes me so angry. If it was sucessful once, then I'm sure it will be again, and that the thieving lowlife who temporarily spoiled it for you won't come back!

Thanks everyone - it's very disappointing. But on the bright side it's the first time it's happened, maybe I'll give it a while and put it out again - I rather like being known as the marmalade lady lol!

So your who Christina A sings about eh oh no that was lady marmalade. My bad :p

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

PJ! ( I had to google this)

I'm not sure I would be seen as a "bad ass chick in high heels" - more of an "old ass boiler in crocs" these days lol!!

hehe I won't here of it, you are young at heart and I am willing to bet, going from your posts you are as sharp as a tack ;-) x

Sorry to read this post, such petty thieving. Often the thief puts in a lower amount because to onlookers they just see the "customer" paying for goods from your stall, so they assume that the full amount is being paid. I used to sell my hens eggs from the end of the drive but I had one regular thief (never caught them redhanded but had my suspicions) who would take 2 dozen and pay for half a dozen. It is a pain in the rear, I wouldn't mind but I sold a dozen for 80 pence, hardly expensive. I just wanted the eggs to be enjoyed because we can't eat 30 eggs a day, no matter how lovely they taste!

Inge x

I had a large potted plant that I nurtured for years, however eventually, it just grew too big for my flat so I moved it to the lobby outside my front door. This area is not used by anyone else and no one apart from the postman etc would have known it was there, I am also on the first floor, but sadly one morning I opened my front door to find my lovely plant missing! How they managed to negotiate the internal doors and staircase with a huge potted plant I am not sure - but I was very upset about it, but even more upset because I did n't know who had taken it.
So Frazzled, I sympathize with you. At first I said 'Well, that's the last time I'll leave anything out there', but eventually I did replace it and it has never happened again.

Carole

Latest posts

Back