L'Artisan 5 Piece Discovery Perfume Collection Try Me Price

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I use to wear an Aramis fragrance called JHL (the initials of Estee Lauder's husband) in the early eighties - it wasn't widely available and was rather expensive. It was discontinued yonks ago, then they brought it back a couple of years ago but it wasn't the same quality. Another fave from those days was Jules by Christain Dior. Haven't seen that for years.

Jules is Dior boutiques only, not sure if but suspect they have jigged it.

As a teenage I wore Femme by Rochas(I didn't even know what a chypre was back then), anyway for some strange reason in 1989 they re-jiggled it and added cumin to it!!!!!! I mean before it was all sugar plums and smooth leather, then it had a curry note!!!!!!!

Disinchanted, many on the perfume boards look for vintage. If kept properly out of sunlight and in a cool place, doesn't have to be a fridge etc, it will still be fine. The top notes might have faded a little but that is it. I got a bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille extract(pure parfum) on ebay from 1960, I have a Caron book so knew by the packaging etc. It is beautiful, yes the top notes are a little faint, but the heart and base are perfect.

Disenchanted, many on the perfume boards look for vintage. If kept properly out of sunlight and in a cool place, doesn't have to be a fridge etc, it will still be fine. The top notes might have faded a little but that is it. I got a bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille extract(pure parfum) on ebay from 1960, I have a Caron book so knew by the packaging etc. It is beautiful, yes the top notes are a little faint, but the heart and base are perfect.

Thanks, I will keep looking.

I'm new to forums so don't know the correct protocol: is it OK to ask personal stuff? If so, I would love to know if Donna is involved with the beauty industry professionally and where SUPERCOOLWILLOW gets the really useful advanced info. Sorry if these have been answered before...

Thanks, I will keep looking.

I'm new to forums so don't know the correct protocol: is it OK to ask personal stuff? If so, I would love to know if Donna is involved with the beauty industry professionally and where SUPERCOOLWILLOW gets the really useful advanced info. Sorry if these have been answered before...
I"m new too and i"ve
suggested Donna should do a beauty blog, as her knowledge is so immense. Could make you a fortune Donna, and i could be your agent, might even get you
on good ole QVC he he :cheeky:

Yes, I always enjoy Donna's posts & take note of her suggestions & recommendations, a very knowledgeable poster & never patronising in her comments, even when replying to dimwits like me! lol If she ever found time for a blog (in between buttering up SAs & ladies-wot-lunch outings), I'd definitely read it! :rock:

Yes, I always enjoy Donna's posts & take note of her suggestions & recommendations, a very knowledgeable poster & never patronising in her comments, even when replying to dimwits like me! lol If she ever found time for a blog (in between buttering up SAs & ladies-wot-lunch outings), I'd definitely read it! :rock:

Yup - me too.

I hate it when they discontinue or re-formulate perfume. My motto is if it aint broke then don`t fix it. My 2 all time favourites have both been re-jigged since I began wearing them years ago ( Quelques Fleurs and Samsara ) and it can be so risky buying vintage stuff. A friend of mine paid a small fortune for some vintage Chanel ( No 22 I think it was ) and when she received it, it was vile, gone off. I`ve seen a few people on Ebay selling vintage perfumes who are now putting disclaimers into their ads saying along the lines we cannot guarantee the condition of this perfume etc.
Jo Malone do some nice floral fragrances, as do Floris, Penhaligons do a tester case full of little phials so the perfume you smelled could have been one of theirs and Ormonde Jayne do the same thing, possibilities are endless I suppose. I hope you find out which perfume it was and if you do then I also hope it smells as lovely on you. My sister has worn nothing but the original Miss Dior all of her adult life, she`s 64 now and still wears it. It smells gorgeous on her, a smell I envy and yet on me it turns into an evil disinfectant type pong !

I used to adore Largerfelds Chloe. It was relaunched a few years ago, still called Chloe, but a totally different scent. I did find some of the original Chloe (well, not original, but was the old version) but it was no longer Lagerfeld and though very similar, it seemed a bit harsher and had less staying power.

I loved Chloe too, orange box and orangey coloured perfume. Now it is all florally and nowhere near the same, why change things!! Was bought a gift set last Christmas and returned it as its nothing like it now, just the same name.

When I was younger I used to love Yardleys ESP and also Tramp, Pinache and Tweed and one they did in Boots which was always on the bottom shelf on that same counter, but I cannot for the life of me think what it was called. Smallish bottle about £8. Gonna really bug me now.

All time fave has got to be Fidji, but you can only seem to get this in France these days at about £100 a bottle, errrm excuse me, don't tink so!!!!

I used to like Chloe too Spooky, wore it all the time & my sister was particularly fond of Anais Anais as I recall! :sun:

All time fave has got to be Fidji, but you can only seem to get this in France these days at about £100 a bottle, errrm excuse me, don't tink so!!!!

That was one of mine as well. Didn't realise you could still buy it. Amazon have the EDT if that helps at £31.25

Talk about rip off prices for some old perfumes. I often see them on Ebay for ridiculous sums and I can remember buying many of them way back in the days when you got your little brown pay packet on a Friday and on your way home you`d buy a pair of fully fashioned stockings, a new Max factor lipstick, maybe a small bottle of Tabu, Apple Blossom, Heaven Scent, 4711 or Chantilly, tip up your 30 shillings to your Mum, have your hair done on a Saturday morning and still have enough for a night out. Crikey I`ve just realised I sound just like my Dad who used to tell me the pint of beer, packet of cigs etc and still had change from a shilling lol. Mind you it could be worse .... I could look in the mirror and see my Dad, moustache and all !!!

ooo thank you, birthday in a few months so might take a look, thanks!!

Oh those were the days, Drakkar Noir and Kouros for hubby (still love Kouros today!!!) and Fidji and Chloe for me. Takes me back to when hubby and I started seeing each other with me going everywhere in white stilettos with Pretty Polly "bows and dots" silver grey tights lol. These days its elasticated waists and flatties for comfort LOL LOL, still feel 18 in my head tho. Happytimes.com

Dior have also re-jigged the original Addict Eau Fraiche which is now what was Addict 2 and added the new Eau Sensuelle; both, IMO, vile - I want the old one back! Can't seem to get hold of it anywhere and if i'd known it was going I'd have stocked up.

Spooky, I still love Drakkar Noir and Kouros and DH wears them.

I used to love a couple of other "posh" perfumes around the time but can't for the life of me remember what they were called.

I've been trying to find Paul Smith London perfume....now discontinued....but can't find it anywhere, not even online retailers have any left.

I have recently developed an interest in perfume, after years of not wearing it and having allergies to a fair few. In the process I have read-up on a few things- perfume.

They often reformulate the old classics, but can't quite get it right. Often this is for 2 reasons, firstly, the originals may have used animal- based ingredients to create the notes, such as civet- from cats. Or synthetic aldehydes which were amongst the very first of their kind to ever be used in scent. Both have very distinctive smells. You will have heard Tova say on numerous occasions that abdolute Jasmine costs a zillion pounds an ounce. Vintage perfume of the floral variety will often contain the real thing. I bet Tova perfume, like practically every high-end department store scent (with the exception of the most costly perfume extracts which are few and far between) will have used syntheyic rose, synthetic jasmine etc and very few will be the real McCoy.

I am very lucky to have been given a bottle of Eau de Joy vapomiseur, boxed and almost full, by my mother, who didn't like it and kept it in a drawer all these years and smells wonderful. But I like florals.

Disenchanted, your mystery scent could be anything, from an Avon box set someone bought her for Christmas, or one of those miniatures you can get in Boots or duty free especially in the run up to christmas. I have a bottle of Antonias Flowers, and don't like it much. My favourite floral scent is L'Air du Temps, an old, boring classic but I adore it. I remember a colleague at work spraying herself with a beautiful floral scent that to me, smelt like the loveliest garden of flowers. Guess what it was? - Estee Lauder Beautiful. Funny, though, when I tried it it didn't smell half as good on me.

I totally agree with the post that she may be one of those women who didn't want to say. Sometimes it's because it's from Avon, or the Body Shop and she does not want to admit it. It may have been body spray! One thing is for certain though- of course sUhe blinkin well knew what she was wearing. We all do!

My money is on "Suddenly" Madame Glamour EDP- 3.99 from Lidl. It's not bad at all, has received a lot of praise in the magazines and I hear has wone prizes. Bet she would not have admitted to wearing it, but it is floral....

Weathergirl is correct, as I said in an earlier post. Everything has been either reformulated or bigger companies LVMH(they bought Dior,Guerlain,Givenchy amongst others), dump down on the quality they use. Also because of worries over certain ingredients and allergies. Believe it or not lemon etc are among those. In the US many companies and public buildings are banning the wearing of perfumes(that by the way includes your deo, scented body washes and laundry as well). For some unknown reason the North American people are either weaklings or very very very whinny sensitive to everything with a smell. They are the only ones which this strange illness effects. The rest of the world just gets on with it.

The musk deer is an endangered species and its been banned since the early 80s. Very very good synthetic musk is out there. But what you have to remember is, not every synthetic is the same quality. Its not a a company just buying musk, depends how it is made. Civet, is called a cat but actually a ferret like animal. The last farm was closed in the 00s(they did not kill the animal as with the musk deer). But the price was so high companies would not buy it and also the synthetics are very good. One of the first synthetics was vanillin which was used in Jicky created in 1889.

Like the skin care debate in the perfume world you have the naturals vs the synthetics ingredients used and how this is evil and that is evil.

Many niche houses do step outside the norm and will use very high grade ingredients(natural and synthetic) hence the price.

I used to wear Geminesse and I can't now remember how it smelled but I,ve read so many people on the web desperate to find a bottle that still smells ok, and they sometimes sell for silly money on ebay. I'd love to niff it again but I think there's a fair chance my taste has moved on. My favourite was Herbessence and my sister wore L'air du temps so I think it would always remind me of her. My mum always had a few expensive perfumes "for best" but daily wore Masumi by Coty.

Jude xx

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a bottle of Eau de Joy at a car boot sale for 50p of all things. It was unused, the bottle in excellent condition (it's a 30ml size I think) and the first thing I could smell was jasmine when I dabbed a bit on my wrists. I remember my mother telling me years ago it was the most expensive perfume in the world at the time. This was a wonderful find. I have never smelled jasmine like this in perfume before so I am filling assume it is real jasmine, not synthetic.

The car boot sale we sometimes sell at (lots of old QVC mistakes) has an old dear who is actually a hard-nosed dealer who comes round at 06:30 asking if anyone has perfume for sale. The stall next to me one time had a few bottles and thought she was buying for her own use until she haggled like Ali Baba. She was unimpressed when I offered her an impulse gift set my DD got for Christmas but never used.

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back