Returning next January???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Might be worth waiting and seeing what the next generation iPad brings? They normally are released March time. iPads are not perfect but they are quick to turn on, are virtually save from virus' and have a wealth of fantastic apps. The one I love the most is the News Stand. You subscribe to newspapers and magazines and the latest edition automatically downloads to your iPad. I have subscribed to The Guardian and Observer. £11.99 for the month which I think is fantastic value. It is like a hybrid newspaper and website in one.

PJ

Talking about screen protectors, my iPhone protector had a problem so being OCD about it I got a new one. You would not believe how hard it was to stop dust particles in the air landing on my phone but I did it. I should start a company doing this for others :p

PJ
a3yba5em.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

I submitted a review yesterday, it's not up yet, so will be interesting to see if they publish it. I think my QVC name is Strato.

Gave it 3 stars because "it was good while it lasted" before the faults became evident. I didn't recommend it as a purchase.

There's no booting up time with the iPad. You just press the home button and hey presto your iPad awakens.

It does connect to the TV via a HDMI cable. I think I mentioned this before in a previous post.

I also mentioned the special connector you can get to upload photos from a SD card onto the iPad.

Have a try in Tesco etc and see what you think of it in the flesh so to speak

I still intend to try at Tesco, or at a dealer in town (no apple shop though, despite a city of 270,000). But I doult if Tesco will have wifi connected, as I want to check some things that need that.

My camera does not use an SD card, so don't know how I will get photos on it, although actually I am more interested in putting films on it (recorded from TV) so I can watch them on journeys (I can watch them on my laptop but don't take this on journeys).

I still intend to try at Tesco, or at a dealer in town (no apple shop though, despite a city of 270,000). But I doult if Tesco will have wifi connected, as I want to check some things that need that.

My camera does not use an SD card, so don't know how I will get photos on it, although actually I am more interested in putting films on it (recorded from TV) so I can watch them on journeys (I can watch them on my laptop but don't take this on journeys).

Believe it or not there is WiFi inside Tesco! You can surf 'n shop! I discovered it by chance by sitting in a queue for the till and whipping my iPhone out to read the BBC news and up popped Tesco Wifi! It now remembers me everytime I'm in store (just had to enter my Clubcard number once) and hey presto I'm online whilst filling up the trolley. So their iPad on display probably is Wifi connected!

You can't record programs from the telly onto the iPad, but you can up of course watch iPlayer, and the ITV and C4 equivalents which obviates the need to record any shows on those channels. I'm a Sky customer and I can watch stuff on Sky through the Sky Go app. Hope this helps.....

Can I DOWNLOAD from the iplayer at home when I have wifi, then watch them elsewhere where there is no wifi?

No you can't. Its not particular to the iPad through. You can't record from iPlayer onto anything, although I am open to being corrected.

Can I DOWNLOAD from the iplayer at home when I have wifi, then watch them elsewhere where there is no wifi?
I think you can. On the BBC iplayer app the instructions say that you can download via wifi and watch anywhere, the programme is kept for up to 30 days but it will be deleted 7 days after you first play any of it.

You can now download programmes (recent change) when in wifi for watching when not, I did it at a hotel last week. It is a pain but you can load your pictures via your laptop when the iPad is connected them sync them together.

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

MY REVIEW HAS BEEN POSTED, HERE IT IS - - - - - >

HEADING - - - > Good at first but developed faults

As I'd never had a tablet before, I was impressed with the quality appearance of this one.

The screen is brilliantly bright and clear. The touch screen was sensitive and responsive.

However, after I had put it into sleep mode, or it had done this itself after a period of unuse, when woken up the screen was so dark that it was unreadable except in a very dark room.

The only way to restore the screen was to press the reset button with a pin, then wait a while for a full reboot while watching Prestigio adverts every time (apparently you can't suppress these).

I also had frequent error messages that the browser has stopped, and did I want to cancel or wait. Pressing wait normally kicked it back into life, but this became very annoying.

It had many advantages over its expensive rival such as connecting to a TV, a USB connection, extendible memory, and less than half the price, so I really wanted to keep it, but I am afraid I will be returning it.

I thought this new review was quite amusing, in an ironic way - - - -

You will need the patience of Job!"

I bought the original Prestigio. After six weeks of stress caused by BBC iplayer not working and other bits and pieces I was at the point of throwing it against the wall when low and behold it broke. It had started flashing on and off and then it just shut down.

So I returned to qvc and they were as usual great customer care is never an issue so when this came up as a tsv I decided to take the plunge as they went on and on on screen about how they had solved this and solved that and to be honest they had me fooled.

It arrived on Monday this week at lunchtime by four in the afternoon it was repackaged ready for return.

To look at the unit is very like an ipad which gets a big tick, it has a wonderful coloured screen and the quality of the screen is amazing so yet again another big tick. It takes upto a 32gb mini sd card add that to its on board memory and its got to be a winner, you would think anyway.

I am sad to say that even with all the improvements to this the BBC iplayer was buffering away in the most annoying way while I was trying to watch my programe.

Not to be less than fair I added apps which I wanted onto it and needed on it. The more apps I added the slower it ran.

I found the browser was unresponsive sluggish and sometimes failed to respond at all.

After four hours it felt like I had all the stress of the world on my shoulders and instead of the pleasure you should feel when you use a gadget like this it seemed all to difficult. If it seems difficult it usually is. The final straw came when I attached this to my computer to drop some bits onto it and my computer would not recognise the unit.

Frustrated maybe, annoyed maybe its hard to described how I felt. If truth be told I used language I didnt know I knew.

I took this to the post office yesterday for return to qvc, relief was all I felt no stress no regrets only stone cold relief. Never again! As one reviewer said you get what you pay for, in this case you pay more than you get!"

This one has also appeared recently - - - -

Only a bargin if works"

I was over the moon when it arrived, and very impressed at first, then started slowing down, then on day 5 it just went off, tried charging it for hours, but still wouldn't come back on, so i packed it back to qvc and was refunded. shame its just not right yet, maybe next model. I would be interested to know how many of these where sold and how many returned ?"

Last edited:
If the standard of the new website is any indication, their technical buyers may not be completely on the ball either. I get the impression that they take as gospel everything the vendors tell them and as long as they get a low wholesale price then it's accepted for sale. There have been a couple of real computer lemons over the years..one of which caused the manufacturer to fold such was the level of returns (the name escapes me but there were members on here who were very unhappy with the handling of the debacle).

Jude xx

Re tablet pcs..I got a nexus 7 by Google (manufactured by Asus) 3 weeks ago and am loving it! Using it to write this! My first Android tablet! very good value for money too, but 159 for 8gb version, 199 for 16gb. iI got my 16gb one on a special deal from Tesco 178 £20 off plus used some club card points. Very pleased with it!

Re January's return date, if you order online is there an option to say this is a gift ? I prefer to order online so I can get the Cashback via Tcb!

The reason for the heading of this thread is that one of the presenters accidentally said "ANYTHING you buy today you have until January to return it", with no mention of it being a gift etc. That's why I took the plunge, with 4 months to try it (I recorded that statement on video) but as it was faulty I returned it within 30 days anyway.

Latest posts

Back