Report to ASA/Offcom thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
I am aware of the many different threads with the many lies but if it is okay with everyone I thought it would be great to collate in one thread so that I (and anyone else) can report exact details. I will also give to Despatches and Watchdog. So if something bad airs could you be so kind as to post

- The channel broadcast
- The date and time
- The presenter
- The product name
- The false claim made

(Feel free to add other details I have missed out)

I am determined to hold them to account and have the time and will to do so.

PJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Good Luck in your quest. I do feel though they have reduced the amount of bs over the last couple of months.

Hasn't come through yet, maybe cyber snails on go slow :) thanks in advance for it x

Bid.tv
All shifts
James Russell
Any Tanzanite product
Every letter of the Alphabet and in particular his mate who has a jewellers shop in London and apparently won't sell any Tanzanite because it's so RARE!

sally "foghorn" jacks saying you dont need a debit card a credit card or even any money

how the hell do you buy then?

I think this is a good idea, although the only examples I tend to witness are those of utter bullcrap, and lies that I think they'd technically get away with. For example when Andrea Maclean told us we'd pay no more than £9.99 for a watch....I guess if you say that the other £7.99's for the postage and packaging, then I suppose we wouldn't...If she said you'll be getting this home for £9.99, then that would be a different matter. Still, I think a small feature on Watchdog or Dispatches might help persuade them to stop trying to mislead their viewers.

Implying that worthless gold plated jewellery is the geniune article

Telling us an item's going to cost a quid when it's ACTUALLY going to cost £10.52!

Telling us that an unheard of name is an international brand leader.

Pretending that the presenter has any control over the prices of the products

Pretending that the presenter is being naughty and disobeying the producer - If this were really true then half the presenters would have lost their jobs by now!

The presenters being totally oblivious to the "Elephant in the room" - The extortionate extra charges for phoning in and p&p...without these charges we can't have the goods!

This I know is only some of it.....but surely any retailer shouldn't be allowed to behave like this!

As Merryone said, they seem to tread a very fine line between being in violation of ASA and just bullcrapping - i.e. the 'selling price' of a £1 when it costs £10+ to get it ordered and delivered, the telling you a product is 'designer', the 'charity campaigns' where the charity gets a minuscule amount of money etc. But these are more dodgy selling tactics then doing anything illegal.

My biggest concern is the gold 'plated' or 'finished' jewellery which they continually imply and infer is solid gold. I've seen so many presenters describe items as 'gold' and say things like 'you know the price of gold!' or 'the weight of the gold on this is amazing!' when the description describes it as 'gold plated'. Doubt it's illegal - but it's definitely one of their most immoral selling tactics.

Peter Simon just stated that a ring selling for £48 (in a huuuuge box) was white gold but 925 came up on the screen with no mention of gold of any type. It sold in a nano second so I hope there aren't too many disappointed buyers. Disgusting!!

On mobile so can't tick thanks but a big thanks to every contribution. Will wait a week or so then start complainin' ;-)

Saw a bit (only a bit) of James Russell tonight on Bid TV, and he was going on about having to obtain special permission from the buying team to sell a London Treasures item for an "introductory price". He said something about the difficulty of contacting the buying team at that time of the evening with phones engaged and phones diverted to an answering machine, etc., but surprise surprise they had managed to get the go-ahead to sell the "hand-crafted" item at that price plus something about the same item being on sale for £140 in a posh shop (what he really means is a similar item which is probably worth that much money). I stopped watching at that point because I value my own sanity :wink:

How on earth can he continue to get away with saying these blatant lies time and time again? Surely there was enough bull just from tonight for the ASA to show a very keen interest?

He also came out with the immortal line;
'You know me-I say it as it is!''
You won't get an ASA complaint upheld on the grounds of the fairy stories he makes such as having to contact the buying team.
You need clear examples of misrepresentation.They are there if you listen carefully.

Last night when James was talking about a 'gold' piece of jewellery he said that he didn't want to "mislead anyone". I think someone from Bid has been reading this thread :wink:

bwahahaha you do it all the time! :giggle: Laugh a minute.

- BidTV
- 21/10/2012 20:50
- Unsure of presenter
- Yarvik 10' Tablet
- Claim: That it come with Microsoft Excel installed. Despite this being an Android OS based tablet and not Microsoft Windows. It might have a free spreadsheet application. But it certainly won't be Excel.

I've managed to get a second complaint of mine upheld! I got the letter through last week, but I can't give much detail, as it has to stay confidential until it is on the ASA website. It is quite a long one though!

Bennyxp, why are you biting the hands off the people who feed you? Doesn't the free donkey jackets, bedspreads and tours around Bid Towers enough for you? :wink:

I've managed to get a second complaint of mine upheld! I got the letter through last week, but I can't give much detail, as it has to stay confidential until it is on the ASA website. It is quite a long one though!
Well done-let us know when it's published!

Hello all

I'm new here so please be gentle with me!

I signed up especially to post this as I feel so strongly about it and reading all of your comments as I lurked has been fascinating.
I have recently contacted Bid because I saw James Russell presenting moissanite and not once did he mention it is laboratory manufactured. To my mind this is misleading people by omission which is as bad as misleading people by lying.
Bid have not replied so I am considering taking it further to ASA etc. and that's why this thread caught my eye.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts, keep up the good work, I hope to be able to make contributions that are of value.

Lovely to meet you all

Latest posts

Back