Liz Earle - worth the money?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I only made one LE purchase which, as I was not impressed with it, went straight back. That was in the early days, when her prices were a lot more reasonable. Now, Liz Earle products, especially tsvs, invariably include either smaller sizes or sample sizes. Mostly her tsvs hover around the £40+ mark; it is not Elemis for goodness sake! Looking at the xmas selection on the website, I noticed a LE rosemary and eucalyptus candle for £32.00 + £4.95 p+p. How can either she, or QVC, justify asking this? I odered 3 large jars (yankee) and the postage was £5.95 which, for the weight of the parcel, is not too bad. Compare it to the postage being charged for ONE LE candle, and it seems a positive bargain! Yankee candles prices are also a lot more reasonable when one considers that a large jar sells for £20 in the shops and, usually the most one pays for a set of three, is approx £40. When the range was first introduced on the Q, it was at a price that would persuade ladies to try it. Now she has got her range established, up rocket the prices, and those same ladies have become customers. Why pay more for her range than for a premium range such as Elemis?

I agree sometimes I think where has that price come from and not just with the LE range but with others too and when P&P is over £5 I never buy. LE is better value direct as its one price for postage and you also get your free sample each time you order.

I do like the look of the candle though but agree £32 is a lot but would like to see the size so may have to visit one of her shops.

It always gets me with the P&P when you send something back and it is always less than half what they charged us.

CJ

Why pay more for her range than for a premium range such as Elemis?

Weaknesses: Very expensive; many products contain fragrance components that can cause irritation; some of the sunscreens contain embarrassingly low SPF ratings; mostly average yet overpriced moisturizers; no reliable exfoliants; no skin-lightening products; no effective anti-acne products; masks that are bound to confuse skin; claims that entice consumers to believe various plants will prevent wrinkles and revitalize skin
(Paula Begoun)

Both ranges are overpriced.
Let's face it, almost all of Q's beauty products are.

I started buying LE as back them it seemed a "good,wholesome" no "additives" premier-ish brand I could afford. I did not want to get into loving elemis,gatineau etc as I knew I couldn't afford to love an item.I knew I couldn't afford the upkeep of these brands and TBH they've never interested me.I always *liked* LE brand,ethos etc..

So I've used it for years and am completely hooked on C+P.I've tried loads and loads of others but TBh nothing beats it...but I really can't afford it now.I've managed after all these years to find a high street *second best1* and thats a Eurcin mild milk cleanser...and I still use my cloths to wash it off.At £9 is very affordable and I normally manage to buy it with my boots advantage card and its generally on a 3 for 2 offer.

Ok I know you can buy a c+p for 12? £14? ish pounds now...but when you factor in P&P (or in my case parking to go and buy it from john lewis) i think thats getting quite hefty.

I do like the range and there is no doubt prices have shot up in recent years, but the same can be said for many of the other beauty ranges. What stood out for me when I first tried the range years ago was the cleanse and polish and it's still the stand out product of her range for me now. However, so many other ranges now also have a hot cloth cleanser they don't have that "unique product" anymore. I had planned on buying this TSV but think I had already talked myself out of it last night when I realised just how much stuff I still had stock piled. I may cave tomorrow, but the fact I'd already planned to do an all day in town browsing I may be able to steer clear and just buy the shampoo which is the only item I truly am almost out of.

I've gone off LE recently. Not because I especially have any strong feelings about the whole Avon debacle really, but because I used to see the range as a good quality, reliable, basic range. Now I'm just quite bored of it and the prices have just got higher and higher.

Mind you, don't get me started on Elemis. Some ok products, but most of it is ridiculously priced, makes overhyped claims, is overly complicated and all that Keeley pseudoscience claptrap puts me right off!

Cetaphil cleanser with my Clarisonic and Cetephil basic moisturiser for me at the moment. Skin is the smoothest and softest it's been for ages.

Even when I was an avid fan of LE,I haven't bought a TSV in years and years! Can't be doing with all the trial piddly sizes

I started buying LE as back them it seemed a "good,wholesome" no "additives" premier-ish brand I could afford. I did not want to get into loving elemis,gatineau etc as I knew I couldn't afford to love an item.I knew I couldn't afford the upkeep of these brands and TBH they've never interested me.I always *liked* LE brand,ethos etc..

So I've used it for years and am completely hooked on C+P.I've tried loads and loads of others but TBh nothing beats it...but I really can't afford it now.I've managed after all these years to find a high street *second best1* and thats a Eurcin mild milk cleanser...and I still use my cloths to wash it off.At £9 is very affordable and I normally manage to buy it with my boots advantage card and its generally on a 3 for 2 offer.

Ok I know you can buy a c+p for 12? £14? ish pounds now...but when you factor in P&P (or in my case parking to go and buy it from john lewis) i think thats getting quite hefty.
rainbowdottie, have you thought about buying from the Liz Earle website, they do good offers on a set
of 3 cleanse and polish, and you usually get free post and package, and you always get a free gift. :cool:

If youre going to the high street keep your wits about you as you know its the devils playground

I do like the range and there is no doubt prices have shot up in recent years, but the same can be said for many of the other beauty ranges. What stood out for me when I first tried the range years ago was the cleanse and polish and it's still the stand out product of her range for me now. However, so many other ranges now also have a hot cloth cleanser they don't have that "unique product" anymore. I had planned on buying this TSV but think I had already talked myself out of it last night when I realised just how much stuff I still had stock piled. I may cave tomorrow, but the fact I'd already planned to do an all day in town browsing I may be able to steer clear and just buy the shampoo which is the only item I truly am almost out of.

I love the C&P & IBS tonic & moisturiser.It is simple, straightforward skin care, the prices have gone up but I still think are worth it.I love taking makeup off with C&P & use with a Clarisonic cleanser.I have tried all ( nearly!) skincare ranges but with this & that serum, lifting & firming etc. I gave up & went for simple!The other LE products which I think are worth the cash ( although don't have at the moment!) are the Body cream & the hand cream.I also think that the items ( Foundation & eye shadows) from the makeup ranges are well worth it.
I am going for the TSV! but I order mainly from the LE website or buy off the shelh @ JL.

Many years ago I used to see Liz Earle as the poor mans Elemis, for the standard of the product but in my own present financial climate I don't buy either any more. Strapped to buy anything full stop so they don't get my money anymore.

I've used C&P and IBST for years. I've tried others but honestly I prefer LE. But if money is tight, as it is for lots of us, then IMO the Superdrug Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser is a really great alternative. I think it's £5.99 full price and comes with at least one cloth AND it's 200ml. Their facial scrub is really good too. I prefer LE but I would happily use the Vitamin E one.

I use Superskin concentrate too but I'm happy to use lots of different facial oils so I'm not brand loyal. The Superdrug Vitamin E Oil is dreadful if you were wondering but at £1.99 it was worth a punt.

Other than those three LE, that's really all I use. I won't buy the TSV because there's too much in there I don't use. I am really strict these days. If I buy it I have to use it.

Superdrug facial oil?? Yep I am using it. On my legs. It's only a tiddly bottle though. Won't take me long.

Re price increase- it's just inflation. Cant blame Liz Earle for that.

I think Elemis is hugely over-priced, many products cause allergic reactions, and they make riduculous claims that only those who WANT to believe them say they work.

I was a huge fan of Cleanse & Polish, and still would be using it now had I not found something I prefer (Emma Hardie).

On the whole, Cleanse & Polish is good for all but the most hyper-sensitive skins or those with an uncommon allergy to a particular ingredient. Cleanse & Polish is lovely and comfortable for dry skins, normal skins and because of the eucalyptus is not at all bad for oily skins, particularly in conjunction with the cloth. In my experience the results were fantastic. It is still very good value compared with other brands considering the ingredients and overall quality.

Why don't I still use it? Because I love Emma Hardie Moringa balm more, and I have seen real improvements with the eye serum from EH. I don't find the other LE products anywhere near as good in terms of visible results, although I do find the superskin moisturiser very good and the skin tonic a pleasure to use because of the lovely smell.

Weaknesses: Very expensive; many products contain fragrance components that can cause irritation; some of the sunscreens contain embarrassingly low SPF ratings; mostly average yet overpriced moisturizers; no reliable exfoliants; no skin-lightening products; no effective anti-acne products; masks that are bound to confuse skin; claims that entice consumers to believe various plants will prevent wrinkles and revitalize skin

But apart from the very expensive bit, Paula would say the same about LE products. No SPFs, claims for natural products. Paula hates natural ingredients all are the devil's playthings, causing allergic reactions etc. Oh apart from her own new natural range she brought out.:wink:

I've often considered trying cleanse and polish but I'm quite blessed to still have good skin apart from the occasional break out. I think when I hit my thirties I'll start with the serious skin care but for now I can make do with Clean&Clear or Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the price of her products has never been cheap. Young often goes out of her way to say that Liz earle is a range where you can afford to continue to use it. I think its too much even buying the cleane polish, tonic and skin repair, £40ish, I think for many thats too much to spend on themseves for skincare. It is not 'supermarket prices' as Yound often claims. Far from it.

Still it is much cheaper than that Elemis, which might be of a price suited to the likes of Julia Roberts but not for many of us.

Marks and Spencer's Pure range is excellent. At the moment they have 10% off all beauty, plus spend £15 and get a GWP. All their range has the bunny logo as well. I picked the £12 gift, two 20mls each of face creams and a 15mls serum.

Oh the offer ends on the 24th!!!

But apart from the very expensive bit, Paula would say the same about LE products. No SPFs, claims for natural products. Paula hates natural ingredients all are the devil's playthings, causing allergic reactions etc. Oh apart from her own new natural range she brought out.:wink:
Unfortunately, Paula doesn't "do" Liz Earle, but in my mind they are in the same pot so to speak.

It's all overpriced and hugely disappointing in use given the promises spouted at you from the TV. All of the QVC ranges have gone the same way - products getting more and more expensive but being altered and made with cheaper ingredients to stretch that margin a little bit more. You can tell most people are unimpressed by the fact that so few TSV's had sold by the end of the midnight hour.

And who was that presenting? She could talk AY into the ground and we all know that's not easy! I had to turn her off in the end, she didn't come up for air and it made me breathless!

Latest posts

Back