Is it just me

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can relate to your post caretodiffer - and I had the white faux ostrich vanity case from MP too, loved it and kept my makeup in it for years before my collection expanded too much!! I too used to go for the major beauty TSVs, feeling that the value was too good to pass up. That was before I realised I had an addiction, and before I discovered this forum.
Now I mainly have a makeup stash, and with everything else, like Tinkerbelle, I am forcing myself to use up moisturisers, etc..before I allow myself any new stuff. My weakness is LG make-up, and I also have Bobbie Brown liners, urban decay naked palettes 1 and 2 (even though I am not a huge eye shadow wearer). Weirdly, I still get tempted by the mally / BE / LE make-up. I then force myself to go up and look at my stash and it helps me to calm down. My stash is now in a clear plastic set of drawers, and categorized so I know exactly what I've got.
The point I wanted to make, caretodiffer is that, yes, we wasted a lot of money, but that was before we knew better. Now we are wiser with our money and are not so easily sucked in. We know better so ee do better, to quote Oprah Winfrey.
When I was getting over my addiction, I noted down the price (including p&p) of every QVC item I was tempted by, but did not succumb. With a few months, the total was in the hundreds! Made me feel very virtuous.
Anyway, sorry to go off topic LEL - great thread!

one of my stashes was kipling bags. i had 20 of them sadly all gathering dust at the bottom of my wardrobes. i sold 17 of them and only ever use the same one nearly everyday. i will never buy anather kipling bag unless the one i use the most falls apart.

makeup: i used to buy all the beauty tsv's now i dont. make-up wise i love bare escentuals tinted mineral vei and foundation and buy these on the bay. i use mac,nars and benefit all the time and sold all my indesrections also on the bay. skincare i use alpha-h and i get this from qvc i buy 2 kits a year which have masks etc. so my skincare regime is very slimlined. i love my bath stuff though and i only buy my l'occitane when there is a sale and i have vouchers for discounts. philip kingsley shampoo and conditioner i buy a litre bottle of each from feelunique and the ojon restorative i buy when there is a deal. i have 5 pots but i adore this stuff so does my daughters.

its takem me a long time to cull my purchases and i have no need to clutter my bedroom with a lot of expensive tat gathering dust.

I'm guilty of watching a beauty show and then fishing out whatever they're demonstrating because it looks like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, even though I know it isn't otherwise it wouldn't be in the drawer half used. It just shows they're very good in brainwashing us.

It's great to know we all have much the same traits.I have enough makeup to ( as my Mother would have said) to 'see me out'!I have tried to decide the products I really like & stick to those without being sucked in to thinking that the latest wonder product Q are pushing will transform me into a 20something model.My makeup of choice at the moment is Liz Earle
( foundation & eyeshadows) LG B&B used as a powder over foundation, BB Longwear eyeshadows,Benefit mascara, BB cream blusher.The only makeup I buy from Q is Laura Geller although I think I will resist the next TSV ( thanks to those who have posted the contents here!)Am jst watching the BB hour ooooo like the City Twillight Collection!!!Someone stop me PLEASE!

Maybe just stick to my LG then China Girl. Unless anyone can recommend me an alternative, I do like the powder foundation, its just easy to use I suppose
I used both BM and LG foundations and LG wins in my book, pores not highlighted as in BM.

It's great to know we all have much the same traits.I have enough makeup to ( as my Mother would have said) to 'see me out'!I have tried to decide the products I really like & stick to those without being sucked in to thinking that the latest wonder product Q are pushing will transform me into a 20something model.My makeup of choice at the moment is Liz Earle
( foundation & eyeshadows) LG B&B used as a powder over foundation, BB Longwear eyeshadows,Benefit mascara, BB cream blusher.The only makeup I buy from Q is Laura Geller although I think I will resist the next TSV ( thanks to those who have posted the contents here!)Am jst watching the BB hour ooooo like the City Twillight Collection!!!Someone stop me PLEASE!

Ok, I identify with EVERYTHING on this thread. Silverfox, I willl try and stop you - just think - would you take £65+ from your purse right now and go to the shop and spend it on those items?? This is how I try and stop myself when I am feeling weak

Ok, I identify with EVERYTHING on this thread. Silverfox, I willl try and stop you - just think - would you take £65+ from your purse right now and go to the shop and spend it on those items?? This is how I try and stop myself when I am feeling weak

Thankyou Thankyou!!!! Reflexgirl for your words of wisdom!! YES £65, didn't do it, just as well!

Re the original thread - the last time I saw a BE show, I went and got my BE out, which I hadnt used for quite a while and applied whilst watching the TV!! Still haven't convinced myself to start re-using it though, still made my face look dry and patchy. Its a funny thought, us forumites all running to our unused stash when a beauty show comes on, grabbing our mirror and following the programme. Makes me giggle..

Ive probably said it before, but before I started watching QVC about 10 years ago I was pretty good at doing my make up and I had moved with the times(having been a 70s and 80s total make up junkie who would spend up to an hour applying before a big night out, WTF!) but have learnt all about new looks, textures and application tips and tricks from our beloved Ali Young and all the various make up artists and guests so for that, QVC I salute you! Oh and now I take 10 mis maximum to get meself out day or night!

What a great thread! Any YES I can relate to all of it...except that I have my "stash" under control these days.

I used to buy every beauty TSV too, hardly using any of it. Now I am very discerning anout what I buy. I am nowhere near as disciplined as Tinkerbelle, but I sold all of my bobbi brown on the bay, except for my stick foundation and "shore" long wear cream shadow. I sold all my Laura Geller except for my pink grapefruit blush, berry banana lippy and fair bronzer. All my make up and brushes are in my kipling blossom2go make up bag. I was using a lori grenier table top thingy but it was looking a bit empty because my stash was getting smaller.

Now my stash consists of L'Occitane liquid soaps, that the whole family uses, L'Occitane shea shower products and hand creams, which I use all the time. I also have a stash of Emma Hardie moringa balm, a spare moringa face wash and spare night cream. I know that it will get used as I don't use any other brand. I also have a spare revitalash.

The only way i can hide the pores with BM Is to put mineral veil under and over. the foundation. It's such a faf.

Guilty as charged m'lud. I have 7 make up bags rammed full of the stuff, & they are not small bags either. Large wash bags:mysmilie_493:

Thanks girls. At least I know I have not been alone in my extravagance over the years. And I am now off to have a massive turnout.

I can relate to your post caretodiffer - and I had the white faux ostrich vanity case from MP too, loved it and kept my makeup in it for years before my collection expanded too much!! I too used to go for the major beauty TSVs, feeling that the value was too good to pass up. That was before I realised I had an addiction, and before I discovered this forum.
Now I mainly have a makeup stash, and with everything else, like Tinkerbelle, I am forcing myself to use up moisturisers, etc..before I allow myself any new stuff. My weakness is LG make-up, and I also have Bobbie Brown liners, urban decay naked palettes 1 and 2 (even though I am not a huge eye shadow wearer). Weirdly, I still get tempted by the mally / BE / LE make-up. I then force myself to go up and look at my stash and it helps me to calm down. My stash is now in a clear plastic set of drawers, and categorized so I know exactly what I've got.
The point I wanted to make, caretodiffer is that, yes, we wasted a lot of money, but that was before we knew better. Now we are wiser with our money and are not so easily sucked in. We know better so ee do better, to quote Oprah Winfrey.
When I was getting over my addiction, I noted down the price (including p&p) of every QVC item I was tempted by, but did not succumb. With a few months, the total was in the hundreds! Made me feel very virtuous.
Anyway, sorry to go off topic LEL - great thread!

Thank you, Laura:bear:
I think I did have an addiction.........I have stuffed so many QVC items (mainly clothes) still in their blue bags behind my wardrobe. I have a couple of Liz Earle's QVC that has gone "rancid" and which I have chucked out. Some others like Philosophy cream (Vitamin c stuff , face cream etc) dried out.
I was brain washed into thinking how good the TSV price was, "compared to buying them individually" but then I will not be buying them ALL individually, I might buy a couple, so spending £40 for TSV was not a good value for me. It was pure brainwash.
I am still tempted when I see some QVCs, but now I think rationally that I will not be using them, so I don't need them and that I have already got most of them.......or why should I buy a QVC that has items that that I won't use.
Why do I need nail varnish TSVs when I might only use 2-3 out of 6-10? I am better buying them individually over the counter.

I did mean that faux ostrich vanity case.......it is a good case, I think I will repair the handle, because like you, I like it :happy: Thank you again.

I watch shows and then go to dig out that brand...this morning I watched Clogau so it inspired me to wear my clogau ring...I watch kipling and I change my kipling bag to another..I watch LG and I then start using her make up again (altho I do wear a lot of it anyway) I watch dismonique and it makes me want to wear my pendant...stops me buying though :angel:

Shopping in town yesterday I saw a woman having BE foundation put on at the counter in Boots, it looked really awful and I am glad I was never tempted to try it.

Also saw Philosophy Lee at their counter in Debenhams, he seemed very friendly and nice, it's strange when you unexpectedly see someone you recognise off Qvc in real life.
The last time I was in London, the girl from BE tried the foundation on me, I wiped it all off as soon as I was outside, because I thought it looked awful on me, but I did not want to hurt that girl's feelings.

I'm on wait list for their brow pencil, never used before, rave reviews. Is it really that good?
Also since it's coming back doesn't seem to be the same quality judging by reviews.
Yes, it is GOOD :happy: The trick is in applying the amount (pressure) for the shade you want, Marina. Try it. If you don't like it, you can send it back, at least it is not heavy.

Gulity guilty guilty ! When I moved house last year I was horrified at the amount of stuff I had stashed. When it was hidden in drawers or cupboards it didn`t seem too bad but when I brought it all into the open it was a shock. I`ve always had trouble finding THE foundation for me. Either too greasy, too drying or too inflammatory to my skin and as my skin has aged some of them just seemed to settle in my laughter lines because I refuse to ever call them wrinkles !
Then there was the problem with eye shadows ..... same old thing , too greasy, too drying or set my sensitive eyes a watering.
Then of course , don`t forget the lipsticks ..... same old, same old
Not to mention mascara ..... no no no , don`t mention mascara.
Thankfully I binned a lot of my past purchases and since then I`ve hit the DHS where I can try before I buy, often get samples to take home, most of the sales girls will spend time telling me face to face about something and answer any questions plus I can walk away, think about it or wear the foundation/eyeshadow/lipstick they`ve applied or use the free sample to see if it causes a reaction or simply doesn`t look right. No wasted p and p and now my makeup is pared down to the minimum and each item has been tested one way or another before I`ve forked out for a full tube, bottle or tub.

Latest posts

Back