Ex Ideal World Employee - Ask away! Anything

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debbie is one of the most lovely people you could ever hope to meet. Some presenters ignore you before a show. She will come and sit with you, ask about your day, crack jokes and genuinely care about you. She is a true professional.

Oh, thanks for letting us know TFTT, I shall have to revise my opinion of Debbie, she hasn't been on my favourites list up to now. I notice that Dennice, Loen and Andy aren't in the "pleasure to work with" group. Don't tell me I've been completely wrong about those too:( Is Loen not as lovely as she seems?

Oh, thanks for letting us know TFTT, I shall have to revise my opinion of Debbie, she hasn't been on my favourites list up to now. I notice that Dennice, Loen and Andy aren't in the "pleasure to work with" group. Don't tell me I've been completely wrong about those too:( Is Loen not as lovely as she seems?

Unfortunately there is a lot ego off screen at times. In television everyone is seen as equal and works as a team towards the end goal of the tv output. I believe some see themselves as much higher in importance.

Firstly welcome to the Forum :wave:! Why is Paul Lavers not on as often as he should be? Must admit I do not watch Ideal World like I used to, so I may have missed him when he has been presenting.

Paul Lavers wasn't brought back to be on screen. He has been hired as a "coach/adviser" to help steer the company back in the right direction and help improve the television aspects if the company. Due to his popularity he appears on screen when he can, however it's not really his job title currently.

Hi TimeForTheTruth :mysmilie_357: to the forum

Why did Ellis leave?
What happened to Julie the model?(used to do flyflot shows)
Do Ideal World read this forum?

Paul Lavers wasn't brought back to be on screen. He has been hired as a "coach/adviser" to help steer the company back in the right direction and help improve the television aspects if the company. Due to his popularity he appears on screen when he can, however it's not really his job title currently.

Thanks for that TFTT, it explains why I havent seen Paul on screen for ages! When I heard that he was coming back to IW, I had hoped he would be a regular presenter :thinking:!

Why did Ellis leave?

Hello! Ellis left after being off for a long period of time after a hip operation. She parted with ideal world on a mutual agreement for a new challenge. She came back for about 10 days of filming but decided it was time to move on. A lot of things change in ideal world in a month, let alone 7 months.

Hello! Ellis left after being off for a long period of time after a hip operation. She parted with ideal world on a mutual agreement for a new challenge. She came back for about 10 days of filming but decided it was time to move on. A lot of things change in ideal world in a month, let alone 7 months.

Unfortunately I do not remember Julie, I was never on a flyflot show so would not have met her to know who she was.

Why did Ellis leave?

Yes ideal world do read the forum but I only know from the point of view of guests and presenters as they were who I looked after. I don't know how often peos in high places look at it. Due to many negative and harsh comments, many guests refuse to look on here as it makes them upset. The presenters are used to it, but guests find the feedback hard to read.

What do Ideal World staff ( presenters and back stage ) think about QVC? I noticed when I had a tour of QVC that they have screens showing Ideal World and other shopping channels in the room where the the production team sit. And they knew all about shoppingtelly.com too! Do they aspire to be better than or just different from QVC?

What about the negative stuff posted on here, it must be frustrating to read about the perceived customer service short-comings when that side of the company is beyond your control? Touch wood, I've had fast, consistent delivery and smooth returns and refunds so I still buy from the channel.

Jude xx

What do Ideal World staff ( presenters and back stage ) think about QVC? I noticed when I had a tour of QVC that they have screens showing Ideal World and other shopping channels in the room where the the production team sit. And they knew all about shoppingtelly.com too! Do they aspire to be better than or just different from QVC?

What about the negative stuff posted on here, it must be frustrating to read about the perceived customer service short-comings when that side of the company is beyond your control? Touch wood, I've had fast, consistent delivery and smooth returns and refunds so I still buy from the channel.

Jude xx

Hello. Backstage staff, apart from the long serving ones, don't really have an opinion on QVC. The backstage staff are there because they want to work in television, not because it's shopping television. Nobody does a 3 year degree in studying television, sound operation and camera operation to aspire to be at a shopping channel, they want to be making films and documentaries etc. The backstage staff just enjoy working in a television studio environment, and are not interested in sales figures, qvc competition etc.
Producers, buyers etc have QVC on screen all day. It's the same as any other company, they are just seeing what their competitors are doing, and what they are selling, and when, and how they could improve on it. Shopping Telly is definitely not un-noticed within TV shopping studios.

Ideal World does not want to copy QVC. They have a completely different ethos. Ideal want to feel like a family, and be down to earth, and have fun. Whether they achieve this is not for me to say, nor an argument I would wish to part take in. I believe QVC is a lot more up-tight and formal than Ideal World personally.

One big tip, if ever you hear "IF YOU'VE JUST JOINED US!...." at the moment that you just joined... Remember its not co-incidence. That's what producers are there for. The moment the xfactor, im a celebrity, big brother, qvc, coronation street etc go to an advert break, the producer tells the Presenter. Now you wonder where this weird "immediate hard sell" comes from. The presenter has a window of opportunity of about 2 minutes whilst people are channel flicking between advert breaks. The hard sell has to come on. The item number is mentioned time after time, the price is mentioned, and channel is mentioned. It's hard and it's fast because they have just a small amount of time to boost sales. From the point of view of someone who is watching the whole hour, I can imagine it seems quite strange and frustrating however.

As mentioned in a different post, I can only speak from the points of view of presenters and guests in regards to the feedback on here. Presenters and guests are not at all affected by the posts on customer service. Of course they would prefer people not to moan or have bad experiences, as they will then buy again, increasing sales figures and demand and making their job easier. But it's not their department to worry about. It is in no way completely separate, but in the studio, television is made. Upstairs in productions offices, sales figures and customer service are analysed.

Hope this helps?

Do the producers feel like screaming when Joanne is rude about them and says she knows better than them being a producer herself? I have actually complained about her doing this (and about her inventing as she goes re: products & guests, and droning on about herself) to IW.

Do IW realise that producers like John B. are the difference maker as to whether a show is watchable or not or do they think we don't notice?

Yes ideal world do read the forum but I only know from the point of view of guests and presenters as they were who I looked after. I don't know how often peos in high places look at it.Due to many negative and harsh comments, many guests refuse to look on here as it makes them upset. The presenters are used to it, but guests find the feedback hard to read.

Most of the negative comments are about the appalling customer service, not so much about the presenters and guests. The presenters on the QVC part of the forum get much more stick.

Hi great that u have come to the forum, Can u please answer more about Ellis? she always seemed like she loved working for Iw and for her suddenly to leave like that was a big shock, Y did they not say goodbye to her on air no flowers or anything? why do they never mention her on air ? Also They was a thread about Loen a few weeks ago about her and paul the chef, does loen not like him ? Can she be difficult at times? Is she aware now thats shes probably the most popular presenter and is that going to her head.

Thanks hope u can answer me :)

Ok this is soo cool i have some questions please

1. How do IW feel when some of there big brands jump ship to QVc ( easiyo, lenovo, Prai skincare)
2. Why did simon Illes leave ? ( he seemed really up himself on air is he really like that )
3. Many the beauty expert , why did she leave ? She was really gd on air and has since been seen on QVC
4.What is Howard like off air ? He really puts me off watching tbh
5. Spill the beans on Loen , Denice and andy seems they mayb a bit of a nitmare off air.
6 Ellis what really went on there ?

Thankyou

I was watching a show before a week or so before the thread appeared with Loen and Paul and I thought she was quite cutting and rude to him, infact it was abit uncomfortable to watch and had it not been the end of the show I would definately have turned off. I really like Loen but I have found her to be getting out of control lately and acts really stupid like she did the other night when on with Janet. Don't the producer/directors pull them in at times like this and also why does Howard feel the need to flash money around like he's on some market stall.

I was watching a show before a week or so before the thread appeared with Loen and Paul and I thought she was quite cutting and rude to him, infact it was abit uncomfortable to watch and had it not been the end of the show I would definately have turned off. I really like Loen but I have found her to be getting out of control lately and acts really stupid like she did the other night when on with Janet. Don't the producer/directors pull them in at times like this and also why does Howard feel the need to flash money around like he's on some market stall.

Oh gawd. Is Howard still doing that old chestnut! :giggle:

Do the producers feel like screaming when Joanne is rude about them and says she knows better than them being a producer herself? I have actually complained about her doing this (and about her inventing as she goes re: products & guests, and droning on about herself) to IW.

Do IW realise that producers like John B. are the difference maker as to whether a show is watchable or not or do they think we don't notice?

Joanne is very demanding as a presenter in regards to wanting everything perfect, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There's just a time and a place, and on-air is not that time. I can not comment on producers feelings towards presenters as I have never spoken to them about it. On-air producers are 100% in charge of the show, however much it may seem like they are not. Some of it is play-acting, and when it's not, you can be sure the producers will always have the last word off air. I agree it's unprofessional, and some presenters need to realise the right time to say certain things isn't on air. For example, if a floor manager drops something, a professional will ignore it and seamlessly carry on, but many at ideal world find it highly amusing to say "ooops, our floor manager just dropped a knife! oh sorry, didnt you realise we were doing a live show here?". The behaviour of presenters goes way past producers authority however.

Hi great that u have come to the forum, Can u please answer more about Ellis? she always seemed like she loved working for Iw and for her suddenly to leave like that was a big shock, Y did they not say goodbye to her on air no flowers or anything? why do they never mention her on air ? Also They was a thread about Loen a few weeks ago about her and paul the chef, does loen not like him ? Can she be difficult at times? Is she aware now thats shes probably the most popular presenter and is that going to her head.

In regards to Ellis, as much as ANYBODY knows at Ideal World, apart from senior management is that she left on mutual terms with Ideal World to persue a different role. She was off-air for around 7 months due to a bad hip and recovery from an operation. I can only speculate that the place had changed too much for her in that time.

Sorry, i forgot to answer the rest!
Loen and Paul Brodel get on absolutely fine. I was presume she was actually just having a bad day in general or with the specific producer/director.
Loen is a very fiery character, but that's what makes her unique, and very fun and unpredictable to work with. I would however disagree that she is seen as the most popular presenter. There is nothing at Ideal World from producers or crew that would ever suggest this, and neither does she act like it. She comes in and does her job well but isn't seen or treated on a different scale to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back