% useage of beauty items that can then be returned under the 30day MBG?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

LADY TIA

Registered Shopper
Hello

I'm hoping someone might be able to help?

A while ago a thread was on here about the % left of a beauty product that QVC would accept back.

Apparently a fellow forumite had used a certain amount of a product that exceeded what QVC felt was appropriate usage in the guarantee period time.

I'm trying to recall - was it 50%?

I've been using the last Liz Earle TSV for about three weeks and am about half way through some of the items - others I've just tested.

I know I'm OK with hand repair, the conditioner, cleanse and polish and superskin but have had problems with the other items in the kit due to flare ups - hence my buying the TSV to see how I got on with some other items from the range.

If I've used about a quarter of the cleanse and polish and half of the superskin moisturiser, shampoo and conditioner - it still OK to send back? I haven't used a month's worth of product but don't want to encounter any issues if I decide to return.

Any help/info very much appreciated as I've had a look on the QVC website and can't find anything about this.

xx

Yes, I thought it was 50% from memory(I have the memory of a fly), but re reading that link its 30%.

Not sure how they can work out the famous Try Me sizes.

Okay you have a 50ml shower gel from L'Occ so are out only aloud a half a shower????? Put a mark on the side of the bottle and squeeze out up to there???

Yes, I thought it was 50% from memory(I have the memory of a fly), but re reading that link its 30%.

Not sure how they can work out the famous Try Me sizes.

Okay you have a 50ml shower gel from L'Occ so are out only aloud a half a shower????? Put a mark on the side of the bottle and squeeze out up to there???

Thanks donna255 - mm I'll have a read of the thread if its 30% of the whole kit I'm fine I've used nowhere near that if it's per item?! I'd have to start weighing things when I open them. Kind of makes a farce of the 30day MBG I can see that they don't want peeps buying things solely to use them for a month and get their money back only to buy again but in circumstances where you genuinely want to try something for reactions you need more than a patch test sometimes and if you react to a product from the dreaded high street you can take back on those grounds to most places anyway!

Memory of a fly - that's not bad I think I'm probably at amoeba level these days! :)

It's hard to top up Liz Earle products with cheapy Pound Shop products or water as the bottles and tubes are mostly sealed units, but why wouldn't a buyer top up pots that are two thirds empty to get around this rule?

Afterall, QVC don't resell them, they don't resell anything do they?

Years ago a CS rep told me to pour the contents away and return the bottles for a refund to reduce the expense of the return postage, but that was years ago when their CS used to win awards!

Jude xx

If you have tried the products and used a reasonable amount per application then I would just return it regardless of the % used then stand your ground if necessary. If they sell kits with small sizes then obviously you will use a larger % trying them out than you would with a large product.

I remember on the QVC US community board, someone posted they only used one very expensive product in a brand's TSV. So she used it up and filled it with something cheap and returned. All hell broke loose!!! She was called a thief etc.:giggle:

Seriously though if I were using say an eye cream and expecting to see the amazing results claimed by the presenter and guest I'd keep slapping it on every day for 30 days and if I'd worked through the whole of 15ml in that time with no visible results I'd expect to get my money back regardless even if the tube's almost empty. The customer is always right QVC and there are still presenters spouting nonsense about sending back empty pots and tubes.

Jude x

Having worked in retail myself, it probably very much depends on who's doing the deciding on the day, how many returns they've had to process and what sort of mood they're in.

Wow!! I am new to this forum and have just read that thread with astonishment!! Thank you so much for the link. I have shopped with QVC for over 10 years and have never heard of these policies - I have just always accepted the QVC promise of being able to return within 30 days for a full refund if you are not happy. I am astonished to find there might be qualifications, and especially that they could close your account if you send back half of your orders. I know that I have returned quite a few things this year, so might have to just order less!!

I think this is the thing with me - because I know I can return, then I will order things and try them, whereas I might be more cautious from another retailer who doesn't offer the same guarantee. I don't take the mickey, I only order what I think I will want to keep - as long as the product meets the claims made on screen - but sometimes there are products which can only be tried at home and need to be returned because they don't fit the bill with regard to clothing fit, foundation colour etc. These can be returned pretty quickly, and in the case of makeup there would only be a minute amount used. But sometimes the QVC presenters do make wonderful claims for the products. In those instances I would probably not buy from any other retailer, but because it is QVC I would, because of their guarantee. And then you really might need to try for a full four week period before judging whether those claims are fulfilled, or not. One product which springs to mind is Revitalash, which I have recently bought. It has amazing reviews on the QVC website, but most of the reviews say that you will not see the results until you have used for 3 weeks. So you have to give it a fair useage before returning.

I really do think that QVC need to be clear on what their policy is, because their 30 day guarantee has probably been their strongest marketing strategy, and I can see many customers drifting away if there is doubt about this. The presenters certainly need to be educated about what is acceptable to QVC.

However, I must say that I have never, ever, had a problem with getting a refund on any product I have returned. But I'm a bit nervous now in case I am approaching a cut off point when I will get my account closed .... hope I get a warning first lol!

Ella

I'd just send it all back. I imagine with all the orders going out, and the place busy, no one is going to particularly
notice and put a letter in it saying you're allergic to certain items in it. I never knew about the 50% limit thing and
returned loads in the past. It'll cost a lot to send back as its a hefty parcel, but in the end cheaper if you can't use it

I agree I'd ust send it back.It seems as though you've not taken the pi$$ so I wouldn't be too concerned.I personally don't think QVC would be too bothered the first time....if it keeps happening they will be..

I used a face cream for over 3 weeks then sent it back. There was certainly less than half left in the pot but I got my money back. Customer services told me you could send back empty packaging of food if you didn't like it but had eaten it/half of it.

CC

I don't see how they can enforce the % use thing given that they say use for 30 days. I recently had a set with tiny tiny samply 5 ml sizes, if you used them every day for 4 days they'd be gone.

I think they have it covered somewhere in the T&C in very small print. Something like Fair Use Policy, like the unlimited broadband for free but in very small print is the fair use.

I think they have it covered somewhere in the T&C in very small print. Something like Fair Use Policy, like the unlimited broadband for free but in very small print is the fair use.

I have never been able to find anything in their T&Cs that stipulates what percentage of a product may be used within the 30 day period to qualify for a refund, however......

.......their T&Cs do contain the following little gem, which they can no doubt interpret however they wish & use to manipulate what is, or isn't, an acceptable return if all else fails:

Under our 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee, we will issue a full refund of your order provided that the product is returned in clean condition and in its original packaging.

Nowhere in their T&Cs does it actually state categorically that you can wear the item/use the skincare/sleep on the bedding etc. with gay abandon for the entire 30 days & then merrily apply for a refund & their T&Cs for the 30 day mbg are phrased to make it sound something akin to the DSR inspection period, just longer & they further cover themselves with the old:

It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers.

No doubt if pushed, QVC would refer back to their T&Cs rather than what the various presenters state on air, which is 'use it/play with it/treat it as your own....then send it back if you don't like it'?

Personally, I think the presenters babblings would override (to a certain extent) their T&Cs but until a few people start trundling off to Trading Standards (with their returned items that have now been returned to them for 'over useage'), we will never know & no doubt QVC rely on a high level of apathy on its shoppers' behalf where returns are concerned full stop!

No doubt if pushed, QVC would refer back to their T&Cs rather than what the various presenters state on air, which is 'use it/play with it/treat it as your own....then send it back if you don't like it'?

Personally, I think the presenters babblings would override (to a certain extent) their T&Cs but until a few people start trundling off to Trading Standards (with their returned items that have now been returned to them for 'over useage'), we will never know & no doubt QVC rely on a high level of apathy on its shoppers' behalf where returns are concerned full stop!
The presenters are representatives of the company and I think we would be entitled to rely on what they say on air as regards trying items then returning them. QVC cannot just let the presenters make false claims then apply the terms and conditions if we decide to return items.

There definitely is a high level of apathy when it comes to returns. There are lots of reviews that slate products but the reviewer then says that they didn't return the item because they couldn't be bothered or it wasn't worth it due to the cost of p and p. That makes me so cross, even if you aren't going to be massively better off surely it's better for most people to return an item than keep something you won't use.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies - very much appreciated.

I often return things unused under DSR as if I read an ingredient listing and know there is no point even opening something then it doesn't seem right to open and use something for the sake of it knowing it'll have to be discarded when received back at QVC.

I am fine with cleanse and polish and superskin moisturiser (amazingly) and have purchased both from QVC and kept) but I took the chance to try the TSV partly because it looked so lovely and was great value but it also contained a number of items I thought I would be OK with.

I must admit with the concern over usage at the back of my mind I was cautious and didn't start using everything straight away - I had some cleanse and polish already etc.

I sent the kit back today with a quarter of C+P used, half of the 15ml moisturiser used (that would normally only last me 3-4 weeks) half of the shampoo and conditioner used - I like the conditioner but not the shampoo and the instant boost, superskin body, superskin concentrate and superbalm are sooo not good for me from a flare up perspective.

Hand repair is a long term staple but I didn't get round to using that, just a couple of times, as I have one on the go so hopefully I'll have no problems and amazingly it cost more to send back that QVC charged to send it out - they normally charge a premium for p+p too.

Many thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back