QVC on Christmas Day

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbs - that's one thing about working in a hospital - mountains of choklits at xmas!
Chocolates and biscuits all year round janie, thats how i put on a few stone, we all stress eat. A box of quality street was opened today about three and gone by eight tonight. Nibble nibble nibble, and i don't even like quality street LOL

well yeah but it goes into overdrive at xmas. lol! i used to get all the coffee creams - nobody else liked 'em ;)

My head knows that QVC is a business and there's not much chance of bumper sales figures on Christmas Day.

My heart says that recordings/re-runs are just not the same as having someone "live" in your living room when you feel alone and abandoned. Oohh, sounds dramatic doesn't it but some of you will know exactly what I mean.

For me, New Years Eve is far worse as I am always on my own and the tendency is to look back over the year's highs and lows. Thing is once you start on the lows, you keep going back into previous years and before Big Ben has finished chiming midnight you've grieved all over again for everyone you've ever lost.

I go to family for Christmas lunch and pressies but by 6pm i'm itching to get home, into PJ's and stuff myself with choccy biscuits and mugs of tea, I'm not a big drinker.

sorry for such a philosophical post late at night - Eric's gone to bed (he sleeps at the end of my bed on his cat blanket) and I've nobody else to talk to !

i've never liked NYE, always thought it has a maudlin feeling to it.

i really love the grumpy old men series on xmas and new year - so funny and so true compared to the shiny happy family time the media portrays.

well yeah but it goes into overdrive at xmas. lol! i used to get all the coffee creams - nobody else liked 'em ;)
I love coffee creams, and after eights, but we get mostly tins, so after eights are sought after. We have a big cupboard full of boxes of sweets, which sister hands out as christmas presents for us, (even though the patients) left them for us. Figure that out LOL

God you guys have made me count my ****** blessings. Bless all of you who are alone at Christmas. You are stronger than me, that's for sure.

I hate hate new years eve, but i usually offer to work it. All the young ones go out, so i work and
get extra pay, but i find it depressing as well. All those awful programmes on the tele don't help
either, so work work work for me LOL

Hmmm, I think I can go without Q for a day, but NoWay! to a day away from ThisForum! My first Christmas/NYE with you guys! :heart: Notice how we share FoodMemories and not once do we rave about an iceberg lettuce we ate. <=^.^=>

I tend to flick onto QVC everyday, out of habit really, mainly during an ad break etc. That's no different on Christmas Day although it's also coupled with the curiosity of wanting to see what's happening, not that I stay there mind. Except for one year, when they had 'highlight's from Alison Young's wedding video playing on a loop - she'd been plugging it for weeks in advance, saying how we could see how the products she was flogging had 'worked on the day'. One of the many things that really annoys me about Q is that they have their trees up in September yet by Boxing Day it's like it never happened and it's all cleared away. Even 'the dreaded high street' has the decency to leave their decs up until after New Year.

I remember one year they played pre-recorded Christmas songs sung by various presenters.

I am working this year but I actually like Christmas in the hospital so I don't mind. I miss the family at home but we will be having our big dinner and presents on the 27th this year, so in a way it makes Christmas cheer last a bit longer. I am back in at work all over new year, that I am less fond of working. I like to be at home but we take it in turns to get the holidays off and I had last new year off so I can't grumble!

Inge

For me, New Years Eve is far worse as I am always on my own and the tendency is to look back over the year's highs and lows. Thing is once you start on the lows, you keep going back into previous years and before Big Ben has finished chiming midnight you've grieved all over again for everyone you've ever lost.

I'm dreading NYE this year - my mum died on NYE morning last year after being diagnosed with a brain tumour only a month before... I brought her home on 23rd December (knowing she was coming home to die) and so Christmas doesn't really hold any good memories for me at the moment.

This year, it'll just be the two of us and our geriatric cats... all stuffing ourselves silly with the stockpile of goodies I've been collecting.

If anyone is near the Surrey / Hants / Berks border then I'm happy to share a mince pie or two.

Oh big hugs to you tiddly. Losing someone is alway magnified at this time of year but for you it must be awful. I really feel for you. x

Oh Tiddly my lovely. I lost my mum on twelfth night nearly 20 years ago. Oh it was hard for the first couple of years. Thinking if her as the house is suddenly devoid of Christmas cheer. But now I find it comforting. Out go the decs and in come the biggest bunch of white lilies I can find. Its her time.

That Christmas I had put a dried flower wreath on the wall in the dining room for the first time. Whilst I've replaced it a few times I've kept a wreath there ever since. Not a Christmas one and not a maudlin one either. The current one is beautiful red roses.

You will find it hard I won't lie but in time you will find your own way to remember and to carry on with the festivities.

My lovely mum died of secondary breast cancer. Diagnosis confirmed the day after Boxing Day and gone by Twelfth Night.

i've never liked NYE, always thought it has a maudlin feeling to it.

i really love the grumpy old men series on xmas and new year - so funny and so true compared to the shiny happy family time the media portrays.

Another NY hater here Janie - I can't stand it and I do my best to ignore it every year. I don't see it as old one out and new one in with all it's false optimism, I just see it as, we got through that one ok, what the hells this one going to throw at us... Bah humbug etc. I always go to bed early to avoid all the big Ben nonsense and then moan like stink when all the bliddy fireworks start and wake me up, then wake the kids up, and I then spend an hour at least trying to get them back to sleep. What were you saying about grumpy old women?!

Tinks big hugs to you too. The first year is always the worst but as you said you find a way to carry on eventhough things will never be the same. I lost my father a few years ago and every occasion since is sad as i just want him there. Sorry got to go this is choking me up too much.

Big hugs to everybody. My first hubby was diagnosed with cancer just a few days before Chrstmas 2004 so as you can gather we had a miserable Christmas and New year, he passed away 6 months later. I hate New year too and I take the view ahh well I`ve survived this year but what the hell will next year bring. BUT and its a big but, all of those loved ones we`ve lost, probably loved Christmas and enjoyed being with their family, especially with their kids and grandkids so I take the view we owe it to them all to step into their shoes and make it as happy a time as possible for you and yours. They wouldn`t want us miserable or grieving on such a day. Raise a glass to them, they`re around us I`m sure and say hey mum/dad/hubby/child etc this Christmas cheer is for you wherever you are and we`ll celebrate it in your honour.

Hmmm, I think I can go without Q for a day, but NoWay! to a day away from ThisForum! My first Christmas/NYE with you guys! :heart: Notice how we share FoodMemories and not once do we rave about an iceberg lettuce we ate. <=^.^=>

heheee snarly. that reminds me of the lady who served me one day. i was buying a new bar of choklit (can't remember what it was) and i told her "it's new, i have to try it". she replied "same here - if it's a new bar of choklit, i have to have it. if it's a new strain of celery, they can keep it". lol

heheee snarly. that reminds me of the lady who served me one day. i was buying a new bar of choklit (can't remember what it was) and i told her "it's new, i have to try it". she replied "same here - if it's a new bar of choklit, i have to have it. if it's a new strain of celery, they can keep it". lol

LoL love it !

big (((hugs))) tiddly. my first xmas without my mum this year too. although she had been in a hursing home for years, i used to always visit on xmas day of course. for me, it will be birthdays that will be especially sad as she died a few days before my 60th in july. gawd, the more i write, the more i hate this time of year, with everyone's sadness magnified.

barbs, i used to work too but the last few years, there wasn't a jolly atmosphere at all. it passed the time is about all i can say.

Latest posts

Back