QVC as a drug for both presenter and viewer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Slightly off topic but still shopping related , they had the MD of John lewis on sky news earlier saying there sales are up from this time last year , but what I do find bizarre is people going into the John Lewis store looking at things to buy .. then going home & ordering them online. why not buy in store .. makes no sense to me to pay petrol, parking fees or bus or train fare

I know sometimes they do offers online that are cheaper than in store . but what a ball ache , its like going to Tesco . looking at carrots & then tapping the app .. mental if you ask me..lol

I looked online last week at a camera.. so i went into the local store & although the offer wasn't in store i still got it for the online price & no P&P .. if they hadn't accommodated me in jess ops store.. I wouldn't have ordered from then online later.. would have brought from elsewhere
Maybe it depends whether it's an out of town store or a city centre one and what they are buying? If I wanted something like a camera then like you I would just buy it. If I had gone to a city centre store and wanted something bulky that would be a pain to carry then I might buy online. I bought a duvet from JL ( I didn't go and look I store first!) and they did free delivery over a certain order value so it might not add any more cost to the purchase.

Tristar, I suggest to go for SpongeBob etc if you want harmless relaxing viewing.

QVC these days is just a load of boring rubbish. It does not relax merely bores, hence my not actually watching. I used to have it on in the background long ago, now it just annoys me.

I rarely watch. Instead I check my iphone app for the TSV, this forum gives me useful heads up, and I find the schedules that come with orders useful so I know what's coming. Around 97% of the orders I make are done online and I rarely watch these days.

I agree with Tristar that its like a drug for some viewers but more like the shopping addiction, some people get a high when they buy stuff. I don't think the presenters get a high from Q but that's not to say that some may be "on something".

I can relate to having the TV on as background noise. Husband and I are in the habit of sticking on the TV as soon as we walk in the door, then we end up just sitting in front of it all night like zombies. Yes we're tired after work but still, it means that all we do all day is work and watch telly. When we moved to Australia we stayed with my brother and his family for four weeks while we got ourselves sorted. They come home from work and put the radio or records on. The difference is ridiculous! You still have the 'company' but you're not stuck in front of the box and don't end up like a mindless blob all night. So we've tried to do the same thing, there are still nights when we slob out and watch telly but we do try and put on music instead. I like listening to talk radio, I stream LBC at work and the Aussie equivalent when I get home. LBC in particular covers some really meaty topics but also is often very funny and entertaining. That to me is more genuine 'company' than a shopping channel who deliberately try to take advantage of those who are lonely, or going through a hard time, in order to bleed more money out of them and who actually couldn't give a rats ass where that money comes from.

Tx

I am listening to Radio 4 at the moment while typing on here, and the TV is on without sound on QVC, but only because it is a technology show, in case anything interesting comes on, then I will pause the radio, and continue listening to it later.

I think that presenting must be fun at first and there are some nice perks but it must be pretty soul destroying to do it year in and year out. I know I would be examining my conscience after a while, pressing people to spend spend spend and knowing that there are some really sad cases who will do just that. Just because they aren't face to face with the customer doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of suffering out there. Sorry to be a bit heavy - maybe it's the time of year - but I'd be wondering if there wasn't a better way to make a living.

I know I would be useless as a presenter, I have the gift of the gab and do presentations at work and actually enjoy it but the difference is that I truly believe in the work that I do. I just could not be on Q babbling away about some "amazing" product when there are reviews on line saying how useless it is. Sometimes when they are in full flood I "tap the app" and read what has been written about the current item and wonder how they can come out with all that nonsense. As for the "fashion" , I simply would not be able to keep a straight face when confronted with some of the things that are on show.

I think that presenting must be fun at first and there are some nice perks but it must be pretty soul destroying to do it year in and year out. I know I would be examining my conscience after a while, pressing people to spend spend spend and knowing that there are some really sad cases who will do just that. Just because they aren't face to face with the customer doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of suffering out there. Sorry to be a bit heavy - maybe it's the time of year - but I'd be wondering if there wasn't a better way to make a living.

I would imagine they're all delighted. just to be on tv with no qualms at all. Between them several ex dancers,ex beauty queen not exactly shy retiring types.Their own egos outweigh any feelings of guilt .

I can relate to having the TV on as background noise. Husband and I are in the habit of sticking on the TV as soon as we walk in the door, then we end up just sitting in front of it all night like zombies. Yes we're tired after work but still, it means that all we do all day is work and watch telly. When we moved to Australia we stayed with my brother and his family for four weeks while we got ourselves sorted. They come home from work and put the radio or records on. The difference is ridiculous! You still have the 'company' but you're not stuck in front of the box and don't end up like a mindless blob all night. So we've tried to do the same thing, there are still nights when we slob out and watch telly but we do try and put on music instead. I like listening to talk radio, I stream LBC at work and the Aussie equivalent when I get home. LBC in particular covers some really meaty topics but also is often very funny and entertaining. That to me is more genuine 'company' than a shopping channel who deliberately try to take advantage of those who are lonely, or going through a hard time, in order to bleed more money out of them and who actually couldn't give a rats ass where that money comes from.

Tx

Big LBC fan here too. I'm often listening to it in the evening instead of having TV on. It's a bit tabloid but certainly more thought provoking than shopping TV.

LBC is a brilliant station with mainly excellent presenters. Some of the callers are hilarious,whatever happened to Chris from Crouch end?she was always good for a laugh.

It beats Q for entertainment hands down

Its one thing having it on in the background,which i also do sometimes , and another substituting it for real life. Q is a shop it just. happens to be on the tv. The presenters care about the viewers as much as the sales assistant in Debenhams does .Not a jot.
Q can't be blamed for viewers taking it for anything else than it is.

I think that's being slightly patronizing to people. I can't imagine anyone substitutes it for real life! I often put Q on when I'm feeling anxious and twitchy as I find it very calming and reassuring, but never in a million years do I think the presenters are doing anything other than their job. In fact that's part of the attraction. They're actors presenting a consistently cheery personae ~ a polar opposite of real life and an escape from day to day worries and stress. So for me Tristar is correct ~ it like a calming drug and a much healthier one than anything pharma can offer.

I think that's being slightly patronizing to people. I can't imagine anyone substitutes it for real life! I often put Q on when I'm feeling anxious and twitchy as I find it very calming and reassuring, but never in a million years do I think the presenters are doing anything other than their job. In fact that's part of the attraction. They're actors presenting a consistently cheery personae ~ a polar opposite of real life and an escape from day to day worries and stress. So for me Tristar is correct ~ it like a calming drug and a much healthier one than anything pharma can offer.

Not meant to be patronizing at all, there are some people who regard q as a family and the presenters as friends. My point is that having it on in the background almost as white noise is fine if you want company. The danger lies when people are sucked in by the QVC family image and start to believe they care about you.

Not meant to be patronizing at all, there are some people who regard q as a family and the presenters as friends. My point is that having it on in the background almost as white noise is fine if you want company. The danger lies when people are sucked in by the QVC family image and start to believe they care about you.

I don't think Tristar initialized this thread by implying that she/he viewed Q as friends. They were asking whether people found it calming to the point of addiction. Two different topics.

I don't think Tristar initialized this thread by implying that she/he viewed Q as friends. They were asking whether people found it calming to the point of addiction. Two different topics.

The topic as i understood it was do we find it addictive in a calming way and do the presenters find it addictive when they leave because they are in such a frenzy.

So its not so off topic because i don't think they're in a genuine frenzy as they are just trying to generate sales whilst lulling everyone into a false sense of security by using their vast array of tactics. Many are taken in by it because they trust and believe what they're hearing and do regard the presenters as people they know.

The T callers are a prime example of this.

Last edited:
The topic as i understood it was do we find it addictive in a calming way and do the presenters find it addictive when they leave because they are in such a frenzy.

So its not so off topic because i don't think they're in a genuine frenzy as they are just trying to generate sales whilst lulling everyone into a false sense of security by using their vast array of tactics. Many are taken in by it because they trust and believe what they're hearing and do regard the presenters as people they know.

The T callers are a prime example of this.

I'm quite sure that there are a section of people who get taken in by the oh so friendly presenters. I've written on numerous threads about my concern over vulnerable people getting sucked into buying crap they don't need and can't afford from shopping channels ~ Qvc being amongst the least offensive imo.
I obviously interpreted the thread title in a different way to you as I understood it as being a completely different (more light-hearted) subject matter which didn't warrant your comment.

Last edited:
sad but after a gruelling family argument or just a low scary day, qvc is there, on tap. escape to the place where money is no object and every presenter is talking to you, yes you, as they views you as a cutsomer often I am, but then sometimes like today, Iv had heavy, heavy converstaions and its nice and inoffensive to put qvc on, Sonolence comes over me, I think. It soothes, I feel everything alright as long as Im willing to spend a bit more. I just wonder if in the chaotic world of live television sales, the presenters get caught up in thr relentless fevour, the relentless drive for sales. How do they 'come down' at home, do they talk incessant or are they struck dumb after talking non-stop. In that case they are almost in a state of somnolence thmselves then. and it goes on tommorros, sales to be met, targets, and it 0-1-50m in 20 seconds of 5 4 3 2 1 air.

This is the post i was referring too,not particularly lighthearted imo.

I think PP we are just going to have to beg to differ on this and move on.

I do want to think they 'care' they are my company all day and night. I wish they were my friends. I guess I realise there are lots who are vulnerable and someti es Iv bought thing to 'please' certain guests or presentersm then I have to talk to myself and stop buying because I like the guest.

Latest posts

Back