The pot and the kettle.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Katbaker

Registered Shopper
So many of You berate these presenters for exaggerating *the positive aspects if an item and ignoring the negative. Yet all I read is posts exaggerating the negative aspects of the channel and ignoring the good. I find it very hypocritical.*
I have seen some super bargains lately but they are never mentioned on here. But if a product is sold that can be found cheaper elsewhere it is headline news! Also I keep hearing presenters talking about the delivery charge. But again no mention. It's like you only want to complain and are incapable of compliment!*
I am starting to think that some of you are as bad as them! Especially when it comes to twisting the facts. I can't count the times I have watched a show then come on here to see the response, only to find the presenters words have been misquoted, taken out of context or totally exaggerated and sensationalised. All just so someone can start a new exciting thread.*

I know I will be ridiculed for this post as I seem to be one of the only people *who speaks favourably about BID UP. But I would LOVE this forum to be about shopping and bargains not moaning and sensationalism. and I think it's time we give some credit to the people who are doing a very good job.*

Kat xxx

So many of You berate these presenters for exaggerating *the positive aspects if an item and ignoring the negative. Yet all I read is posts exaggerating the negative aspects of the channel and ignoring the good. I find it very hypocritical.*
I have seen some super bargains lately but they are never mentioned on here. But if a product is sold that can be found cheaper elsewhere it is headline news! Also I keep hearing presenters talking about the delivery charge. But again no mention. It's like you only want to complain and are incapable of compliment!*
I am starting to think that some of you are as bad as them! Especially when it comes to twisting the facts. I can't count the times I have watched a show then come on here to see the response, only to find the presenters words have been misquoted, taken out of context or totally exaggerated and sensationalised. All just so someone can start a new exciting thread.*

I know I will be ridiculed for this post as I seem to be one of the only people *who speaks favourably about BID UP. But I would LOVE this forum to be about shopping and bargains not moaning and sensationalism. and I think it's time we give some credit to the people who are doing a very good job.*

Kat xxx

Kat you are more than welcome to your opinion, it's an open forum!

Can you tell us about what bargains you have seen and also tell us when P+P is mentioned other than occasionally when the item is on EasyBuy because I honestly barely ever hear them mention it. Even on EasyBuy they rarely mention the amount, and often claim all you have to pay 'today' is the first installment and that's it. Are you aware that they have recently removed the wording 'per item' from the onscreen P+P charge and at the same time increased the maximum number of multibuys to nine? It is hard to interpret that as anything other than cynical.

I recall you saying James Russell gave a full description of a Triplet Opal but it transpired he didn't. I admit it's fun to highlight the negative points about Bid but there are so many it's hard not to.

I have seen one or two decent prices and posted to that effect (Dr Lewinns and Elizabeth Grant products are just two examples). On the other side of the coin I fail to see how a Tanzanite ring set in gold plate can possibly be worth hundreds of pounds. That is exacerbated when the presenter dosen't once mention the product is indeed gold plated but repeatedly describes it as gold.

I would also draw your attention to the increasing number of 'upheld' ASA complaints against Bid Shopping. I would further draw your attention to a very recent thread I started regarding P+P which if you are fair you will admit is a scandalous claim to make.

I am afraid I couldn't disagree with you more when you say 'they are doing a very good job' which, in my opinion, is way too general a claim to make. Praise is given, particularly to Andy Hodgson, but are you honestly claiming Peter Simon, their highest profile presenter, is doing a very good job? Or, to a lesser extent, James Russell? If you do then I think you must be watching a different channel to the one I see them on, I honestly do.

But you are of course welcome to your opinions and do keep posting, I just disagree with virtually all of them and that's the good thing about having an opinion!

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?38792-Mike-Mason-Outrageous-Claim

Last edited:
Am sure there are bargains to be had on Bid - the Agent Provacateur perfume is cheaper here than a lot of sites but yesterday Caroline was suggesting the Chopard perfume was exclusive and hard to find when it was readily available on Amazon for less with free delivery. (You note they never price check against Amazon?) Andy Hodgson is the only one who mentions P & P . It simply doesn't exist to James Russell or Sally Jaxx/Jacks especially when they are encouraging people to multibuy up to 9 times without making it clear P & P is 'per item' Peter Simon looked disgusted tonight when he had to say the Pampering day was free P & P!

On an aside, caught the last part of his show tonight and he was disgusting for that time of night - the innuendos with Peter Sherlock and Ellise were really bad but the highlight was when he stretched the support pants they didn't ping back to shape and she had to discretely push them into shape. I bet all the people who rushed to buy those will pleased to see just how supporting they really are!

James Russell is now selling some fleece .... he's muted so no doubt I am missing some grand story about his life/wife/where he's worked previously ... that man's been everywhere! But if I have to hear the story about their damned Xmas baubles and the cruise ship one more time .... Argh!

xx

Well said Kat, I agree with you. Not all the presenters are whiter
than White but they do bear the brunt of peoples opinions about
'the company'. There ARE bargains to be had. :)

Everyone can have their opinion Kat and no one can say they are wrong but what you have said is factually wrong. I have, and a couple of others mentioned purchases we are happy with and stating the price is good. So to say they are never mentioned is wrong.

In the old days of bid there were over 50% of their products at good prices or goods not available elsewhere. Now you are lucky to get one or two a week. There is nothing wrong with cheap tat. I shop at Poundland and Lydl but selling tat and making out like it is Harrods quality is like crime in a multi story car park. Wrong on so many levels.

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Kat xxx

So you might Kat, but what we say on here is never going to result in somebody being out of pocket, especially those who can least afford it! Hypocritical? If you say so, doesn't name calling us amount to the same thing? Who knows?

I am often singing the praises of the products, and will give credit where credit is due.

I think we'd ALL love this forum to be about shopping and bargains,but sadly it can't be until these channels start "behaving themselves a bit better"!

If this forum was anti-Bid for the sake of it, then I'd agree with you.

But I for one am glad that there is a place that people can access that outlines shoddy selling practices of ANY shopping telly channel when they occur.

How do most shops get more business? Through word of mouth.

I for one would be upset if I bought something from a shopping channel based on reading nothing but positive posts on here, then found out I had been ripped off. If I want nothing but wall-to-wall positive feedback on Bid, Ideal World, QVC or any of the others, then I'll go to their own websites.

Surely the BIG benefit of an independent shopping telly website is that you will get posts about people's bad experiences as well as the good? And even better, in their own words? I for one find that invaluable.

Not to mention the humour shown by shopping telly viewers on here.

I don't understand how when people go on about "wanting free speech" they always mean "but without coming across stuff I don't want to hear".

Last edited:
Each to their own but some folk on here have aired their views to the ASA who of course are the industry body overseeing advertising... and even they agree to the complaints - so it's not just people making it up or doing it for the sake of argument.

Once upon a time Bid were a decent company ~ selling was fun, no bull and there were bargains to be had! Now it's got to the stage of scaremongering, over priced goods, P&P costs where if you multi buy you could in theory have your goods shipped round the world 10 times over and still have change! It's rediculous.

If Bid carry on the way they are then they won't be around for much longer anyway.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the majority here. In the last couple of years the Bid TV Network has plummeted the depths as to the quality of the products and the selling tactics of the presenters. Scaremongering of the vulnerable and elderly seems rife and hyping up the mediocre tat and the spurious claims by presenters has reached ridiculous levels.

With the extortionate P&P and premium rate phonecall charges, Bid cannot claim to be a discount channel at almost a tenner per item to add before you have even bought anything.

I agree I',m afraid. The only good thing about Bid Tv is Andy Hodgson, he is comedy gold in my opinion and I would watch him over a 'comedy' programme on TV any day :) he is also the only presenter who seems to sell items fairly, mentioning postage and the like.
As Greg said, you are charged £7.99 postage for even a scarf, plus £1.53 per call for your order, making £9.52 before you have bought a thing!!! How can that not be ignored into the price of a so called bargain? Yesterday I watched a sell of 2 memory foam pillows, being interested as my partner suffers badly with his back, and knowing he likes these, I watched to see what price they would go to, with buying a set in mind genuinely. Then I realised that even if they went for 1p, with the £9.52 added charges for calling and delivery, I could get them cheaper locally!
It would be a lovely world Kat if we could only hear the positive, but the complaints on this site are real and damn important, not everyone in the world is the sharpest tool in the shed, and sites like these are invaluable to stop people getting taken advantage of. If you think these complaints are a bit over the top too, you should check out the Morrisons facebook page, where some customers are claiming the company are ripping people off, and are furious to bursting, about a 5p price increase on an item, that is a little unneccesary, but Bid claiming an item is exclusive (when can be found on 3+ other websites) or claiming an item is 1p (but really £9.52) are valid points and in my opinion not at all hypocritical.

Kat xxx

Kat: do you work for Bid? That's a very impassioned defence.

i have posted a few positive threads and more negative ones

why because that is MY opinion, i have praised andy hodgson many times on here because he often refers to the "all in" price something which simon et al would never dream of doing.

If I'm honest and fair,there's a lot in what you say Kat.I've not bought from these channels for months and months. I only joined this forum recently and came on to see if others were like me and had noticed that the quality of goods, in the main, had fallen whilst the standard of presenting had plummeted to new depths. There's very little on TV these days for an old fossil in their 60's like me and in the evenings or when I'm getting tea ready in the kitchen, I tend to flick over to the 'shoppers' but I get an increasing uneasy feeling about watching them these days. The presenters tell enormous whoppers just to make a sale of goods, sometimes not worth the cost of the postage.
We are all different. Maybe some people who post on here live in remote areas where a shopping trip to a large town takes a lot of planning. Or maybe living at the top of a high rise with the lifts out more than working and telly shopping is an easier option. The disabled and those suffering from such things as agoraphobia often find home shopping an easier option and perhaps they are getting fed up with rip offs and come on here to vent their feelings.
Its a free country, and this is a free and open forum. Live and let live eh? Merry Christmas to you

I've bought loads of stuff off Bid over the years and don't remember moaning about the postage charge then. I think it has always been high but the items were bargains then and good quality so the postage mustn't have seemed too outlandish in the grand scheme of things. If you watch on youtube of shows years ago, they sold some cracking jewellery. They had big brand kitchen items, not their own dodgy 'your kitchen' range.

They have changed drastically over the years. The presenters were fun, they didn't have to hard sell back then. The products would sell themselves, easily. You did sometimes have to race to the phones to get the bargain.

I think they deserve all the flak they get on here tbh, with the exception of Andy H, as has been said.

As my mummy would say 'A penny has two sides" i agree with you all that BID UP has been misleading in certain areas. i have written a stern letter to the managers at BID UP outlining my disapproval as a regular buyer and also contacted some of the presenters through face book too. i get the impression they are very embarrassed by the ASA rulings and are working to stop it from happening again. I also get the impression that the blame should sit just on the shoulder of the presenter. but they get the blame from us because they are the face. i think there are more strings behind the scenes than we realize.

On the other hand there are also so very many comments on here that are inaccurate or misleading or misquoted. i watch BID UP all the time and have now started recording it as i am frustrated reading on here things that are clearly exaggerated or conveniently selected bits of what the presenters say. its hypocritical but in a way quite ironic. you exaggerate the facts in order to berate them for exaggerating the facts lol.

I have bought in the last 10 days some super bargains
A moisonite ring .75 ct in 9k gold - £99.99!
Ladies Catier perfum for £14.99!!
A lovely leather weekend bag for £17.991
The who DVD's for my hubby - £1!!

Kat xxx

i presume you do not pay postage or phone call costs then kat?

if you are going to defend them which is fine get your facts correct

im glad you have found some bargains that you like but dont forget the £38.08 for the pleasure of ordering them and getting them delivered to your home

i presume you do not pay postage or phone call costs then kat?

if you are going to defend them which is fine get your facts correct

was just going to mention P&P costs!

Kat;

a) In the words of St. Peter and James 'Love Boat Jewellery Avalanche Cruiseship' Russell - get the ring valued at your local jeweller.
b) The Who DVD's can be bought cheaper over at Amazon if you factor in Bid's P&P/call costs.

You're right about some things Kat, there are things going on behind the scenes. The presenters aren't all to blame but if they had morals they'd stand upto those who are telling them to sell like they are and quit. Maybe they like duping the general public? Who knows.

like i have posted in the past about these certain presenters ie james russell , sally jacks, mike mason , nicola george,peter simon and caroline they are just full of it they have no morales what so ever as long as they get the sale !!! if they are as talented as they make out why are they being front men and women for such a company that dosent seem to mind if they lie to get a sale and fabricate history for items unheard of i hope they are on big wages as there reputations will never recover they will always be remenbered for being on bid tv so presenters beware the public has long memorys

Kat, you can't just say "Ive had some bargains, poor poor them"
Television is a powerful medium and these presenters have to stand by and take the blame for the crap they peddle. You cannot say you got The Who dvd's for £1, they cost you £1 AND £7.99 postage AND £1.53 for the call. You also can't say that its the presenters' strings being pulled by backstage, these are not kids or vulnerable adults, they know damn well what they are saying. You also can't do this god-awful thing that loads of people on these forums do which is the old "I've had no problems so they can't be all bad", is it not good enough to hear of people being ripped off, let down etc, do you have to physically experience it yourself before you will stop singing praises?
Totally agree with the quality issues, back when I started watching, at least 7 years ago, the quality of the products was amazing, real bargains to be had, sometimes Andy would just stand there and joke about with Jenoir, as the products were good enough to fly off the shleves with no selling! Viners pan sets, GOOD bedding, great jewellery, not this Del-Boy tat they are trying to flog now. If they sold some of their stock in a fair manner, "cheapy fleece for a fiver" and mentioned the damn postage and call costs, then maybe people wouldnt bitch so much, but "Harrods quality, unicorn hair, gold, fleece, warmer than the sun, for a fiver" just isnt on.

Latest posts

Back