Moss

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
Can anyone recommend something to kill moss that's safe for animals please?

I can deal with what's on paths, patio etc using a power washer but can't use PW on the drive. Some of the moss is very peculiar, looks a bit like seaweed!!
Someone suggested trying Jeyes fluid but that worries me a bit?

TIA

My sisters are very keen gardeners so I asked them, they also have animals so are careful what they use and they've suggested you try salt on it, don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try, or perhaps you could try one of those flame weed wands?

I've got a lot of bloc paving and I use a product called 'Patio Magic.'

I used it last year and dealt with the moss, caused by the wet weather, last week. I find it very efficient and the paving stays moss free for several months. Patches I did last year are still clear. The container has a tick by 'children and animals' which mean that it's safe to use with them. I have neighbours' cats and squirrels traipsing through/round the garden every day and none have come to any harm.

It cost me about £10 for 2.5 litres from my local garden centre and it lasts for ages because you mix it with water and then use a watering can or spray to spread it over the affected area. You then leave it and in a few days the moss has died off. It's also effective for algae type growths.

If you type it into Google then you will find places from where it can be purchased, which include Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_1ndnyzfp3d_e

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link Toril, I see you can use on fencing as well which I wouldn't have thought of. I'll visit the garden centre this week and hope for a few dry days, I quite like the flame-thrower idea as well!

Thanks for the link Toril, I see you can use on fencing as well which I wouldn't have thought of. I'll visit the garden centre this week and hope for a few dry days, I quite like the flame-thrower idea as well!

It is effective and I've used it on fencing, bloc paving and slabs all with good results. I'm down to my last 1/4 litre now and so need to get some more myself as well. :wink:

Don't worry about the moss on your drive that looks like seaweed.
If it's what I think it is, it's the first stage of growth of fern spores, and when [if!!] we get a bit of dry weather it will obligingly shrivel up and die.

My garden's been underwater for ages, and I'm shuddering at the mere thought of trying to knock it back into shape. What laughingly passes for a lawn is a filthy mess of moss and mud. Bleh!

Don't bother with the flame thrower, they're useless. I went through a whole canister of gas the first time I used it and it didn't successfully get rid of one single week let alone the persistent moss and algae:(

Don't worry about the moss on your drive that looks like seaweed.
If it's what I think it is, it's the first stage of growth of fern spores, and when [if!!] we get a bit of dry weather it will obligingly shrivel up and die.

My garden's been underwater for ages, and I'm shuddering at the mere thought of trying to knock it back into shape. What laughingly passes for a lawn is a filthy mess of moss and mud. Bleh!

That's interesting, got plenty of moss in the garden but it's first time I've seen this, appeared at the end of "summer"! I would be tempted to leave it and see now but it's quite a large patch and very slippery, I'm worried about the postman or someone slipping on it.

Oooh, is it that bad, Fraz? Well, when our patio looks more lawn-like than... er ... the lawn, then I scrape the moss off with a spade or a hoe.

QVC was also selling a set of two metal brushes on a pole, which are good for scraping smallish areas.

I couldn't find the brushes on the QVC website any more, but there are similar ones on eBay, like this, ahem, 'scrapper': http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2in1-META...Plants_Fertiliser_CV&var=&hash=item4166dfc781

Yes, I've got those brushes, they're brilliant on hard surfaces and in crevices. Trouble with the drive is it's the remains of tarmac with rough patches so can't hoe or scrape without making it worse, needs re-doing but the cost is out of reach at the moment. Things like seeding in it lol!

I think I used that Patio Magic stuff or something very similar. It was quite effective on the front path although could probably do with another session soon. It worked very well around the bin area at the back and that has stayed clean for ages so would recommend.

I also bought the V shaped brushes and the ordinary broom with metal bristles in it too but, to be honest, haven't really used them because I have such a large expanse of bloc paving. That's why I tried the Patio Magic. I treated the garden shortly after my first post on this thread and now that I can see the garden again (the snow covered up a multitude of sins) I can confirm that the moss and algae has been sorted and the paving looks spick and span again. I doubt I will need to do it again until the Autumn, if last year's application is anything to go by.

The slippery stuff sounds more like an algae or fungus. Salt should work if you only want/need to quickly treat a small area.

I remove any moss that I can by hand and store it in the shed until spring. Then I put it out for the birds down at my allotment for neat building.

Soda Crystals work a treat, i get mine for 80p a bag (i think a kilo in there) at the local Sainsbos in the laundry aisle
http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/soda-crystals.html#.URp-LGfeCSo
and no harmful chemicals and completely biodegrable and a frugal & environmentally friendly choice for many other household uses too

edit to add usage info : sprinkle generously on moss algae areas,
and then wet it (gentle rain is the easiest way or a light sprinkle from watering can or hose, not too much pressure as you don't want to wash it all away, you jsut want to dampen/wet it)
the moss will die gradually after a few days and it will be obvious as it goes all yellow and then you can just sweep it away

hey presto !

Last edited:
Just want to say the soda crystals worked a treat! - thanks Lilith.

Relatively cheap, safe and effective - I will be passing this great tip on to friends.

Latest posts

Back