'Danger time'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

tristar

Guest Shopper
Iv seen it refered to on here by a few people. For me, its usually between 9pm and 11pm and often post sleeping tabet, I start ordering stuff. Often its due to multiple repeat airings of the tsv, last night I ordered a £150 laser and this morning, I thought, did you order somthing last night? it then comes back to me and I start to give myself a good talking to.

I dont drink at home but I do often relax and have ice cream or a pudding and with the heating on full blast I order. Its crazy and obv I have to wind it in, frankly, often the morning after ordering its a bit like a hangover when you have been out and you think 'did I really do that last night? its that kind of thing, only with the ordering.

I know of a lady who used to also order more during the 'danger time' Does anyone else relate and what woud you consider to be 'your danger time'?

Well Tristar, clothes and make up would be my weakness on Qvc. But I will not be ordering any as I know perfectly well that I have enough and anymore will be unnecessary(sp?) at the moment. I will see what the Kim & co TSV next month is and may possibly get that but have decided the Laura Geller TSV would not be used as I have enough. If I feel tempted I just think of the money saved and put towards my holidays which I enjoy. I suppose I dont have a danger hour but then I dont have a credit card.

What method do u use to order tristar? fone, web , app? I wonder if u started only using the fone to order ( not in first ) mayb ud be less inclined to make purchases, sometimes having to make the effort to speak to someone will make u think twice

My danger time used to be the first sign of limited stock on an item i was wavering on. I have the proof all around me.
I now only buy what i really want because i can't afford to impulse buy.
I hate hard sell, be it the blatant or the sugary smiling assassins, so that helps because the harder they try the easier i find it to resist.
My rule of thumb is Will i regret not buying this tomorrow or Will i think "why did i do that" Invariably its the latter and i save my money.
Its not easy, but after a while you get the same buzz when you resist as you used to when you bought something. Honest
Alternatively come on here and see what other people think.That usually works too.

Don't fall for all the speil and hype because that's exactly what it is.

Good.luck

Its difficult sometimes. I know it sounds daft but often Im guilty of feeling like I want to please the presenters or guests that I like by buying from them. I guess it makes me feel part of the action. Its really daft I know and also a bit 'soft' .

Hi Tristar

I cant really relate to why you order but would like to make a suggestion.

The next time you get the urge to buy during your danger times why not try this forum, there are people live at all times of the day and night and a quick virtual chat might take away the urge. Im not saying log on and say "help im thinking of buying something" but just something general perhaps in the drop or on the main forum if appropriate.

Hope this might help a bit

XX

Try to remind yourself that you dont know the presenters and they dont know if you buy something during their hour or not. Also maybe try to remember how bad you feel when something unwanted turns up at your door and you dont even like it. Or just set a budget that you wont go over for telly shopping if you can. As LEL said, I also cant afford to impulse buy so I dont have that option.

Why dont u try email in to the show, ive done it during a show on IW had not intention of buying the item but wanted to say how nice Shelagh was looking lol unlike QVC they do actually read emails out .

Yeah, Iv had an email read out. I have found Ideal do actually like to interact unlike qvc who make such a big thing of tweeting in,y et they dont bother to read them.

Yes, your right about the guilt when things turn up. Sometimes my dad will be here and I will just hope and pray I dont get another delivery while he is here, he wont keep bailing me out.

Its funny because with the presenters on all the shopping channels, its like they are saying 'please, please buy and we will be your friend' well thats how I feel sometimes.

I guess it depends if your getting into debt when making the purchases, if there things your buying & using & your budgeting for the purchases then its great that you get pleasure from the things you buy , but if the shopping is making you unhappy & worry then is it really worth it ?

My danger time used to be the first sign of limited stock on an item i was wavering on. I have the proof all around me.
I now only buy what i really want because i can't afford to impulse buy.
I hate hard sell, be it the blatant or the sugary smiling assassins, so that helps because the harder they try the easier i find it to resist.
My rule of thumb is Will i regret not buying this tomorrow or Will i think "why did i do that" Invariably its the latter and i save my money.
Its not easy, but after a while you get the same buzz when you resist as you used to when you bought something. Honest
Alternatively come on here and see what other people think.That usually works too.

Don't fall for all the speil and hype because that's exactly what it is.

Good.luck

Hi Tristar

I cant really relate to why you order but would like to make a suggestion.

The next time you get the urge to buy during your danger times why not try this forum, there are people live at all times of the day and night and a quick virtual chat might take away the urge. Im not saying log on and say "help im thinking of buying something" but just something general perhaps in the drop or on the main forum if appropriate.

Hope this might help a bit

XX

Sorry LEL it seems that Ive hijacked your idea

Big copy cat Yorko:clapping:

Yeah, Iv had an email read out. I have found Ideal do actually like to interact unlike qvc who make such a big thing of tweeting in,y et they dont bother to read them.

Yes, your right about the guilt when things turn up. Sometimes my dad will be here and I will just hope and pray I dont get another delivery while he is here, he wont keep bailing me out.

Its funny because with the presenters on all the shopping channels, its like they are saying 'please, please buy and we will be your friend' well thats how I feel sometimes.
Yes I totally agree with Madge. People have been very open & honest on here in various threads about how they became shopaholics. Seriously, people buying things they neither wanted or could afford in the heat of the moment. (I agree LEL, the limited stock thing and timer counting down is a classic & invariably was the reason for my impulse purchases). I'd say either stick to a budget as said before or think how you will feel recieving the item. If you can happily live without it, don't buy! & always at least check first to see if another retailer hasn't got the same thing for considerably less money via a google search if you really do want it. The latter has saved me £,ssss!

Last edited:
Yes good advice and also I going to remind myself to check reviews of the product and not just on their own websites! Iv dropped some right clangers fo late.

Yorko, I wondered the same, I didnt click it had been moved for awhile. I guess because I made mention of the laser product which I bought was from Ideal but my point/thread was more general and mainly I shop with qvc so thought it might be better there.

Yes good advice and also I going to remind myself to check reviews of the product and not just on their own websites! Iv dropped some right clangers fo late.

What you could give some thought is selling a few of your purchases that you havent used on ebay , then fund your future buying from the proceeds , as daft as it sounds you could actually get more benefit from making money than spending it , and then limit what you do spend on future purchases if that makes sense

Yorko, I wondered the same, I didnt click it had been moved for awhile. I guess because I made mention of the laser product which I bought was from Ideal but my point/thread was more general and mainly I shop with qvc so thought it might be better there.

Thanks Tristar, the laser thingie probably explains it.

Latest posts

Back