I am sorry Mikey but ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
Talking about drugging women (even it it is only night nurse) to shut her up isn't funny even if it was a joke. There are some sick men out there who do just that grr

Talking about drugging women (even it it is only night nurse) to shut her up isn't funny even if it was a joke. There are some sick men out there who do just that grr

His lady/Goddess is quite safe, Mike would surely never use such a cheap product as Night Nurse on her. Seriously though what an utterly crass things to say, i'm sure he meant no offence by it but he might want to think before he opens his grid again.

Thankfully James Russell would never say such a thing.

If brains were gunpowder this fool wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off. He's not funny, he's not clever he's not good at his job. I'm sure I'm not the only one who turns off when he comes on

Not just unbelievable but inexcusable under ANY circumstances; he ought to be sacked instantly for saying something like that as opposed to just being warned about his behaviour (if at all).

An apology is simply not good enough on this occasion given that he's a very established presenter on the channel with responsibilities extending to the duty of selling products to potentially vulnerable people. Famous people have lost their jobs for lesser sins than this.

Did any of you actually see what was said, apart from PJ? I think he's totally blown it out of proportion.

I didn't see it myself (I try to avoid Bid when Mr Mason is on now) but I trust PJ as a very fair poster so have no doubt he said it. While I don't doubt Mason didn't mean to be so offensive (sadly I suspect it wouldn't even register with someone like himself) I cannot think of anyway something like that could be said in jest. A truly appalling subject to joke about.

If a colleague of mine said that i'd urge them to consider their position. Thankfully I cannot imagine any other male presenter being so insensitive, can anyone honestly imagine James Russell being so utterly offensive?

A dismal episode.

I doubt Mike meant to be offensive, with the size of his ego he probably thought he was being funny
However, the subject matter is extremely sensitive and delicate so a 'joke' is going to be tasteless, insensitive, crass and potentially distressing for some people
The thoughtlessness here is unbelievable and inexcusable
I believe Mike should make a public apology for his remark................perhaps M&M could let him know??!!

His assistant had a cold hence the night nurse
reference. It would seem that only one of you heard
the comment & obviously didn't hear the context it
was said in. Why is everyone jumping on the bandwagon
based on 1 persons comment?

I didn't see it myself (I try to avoid Bid when Mr Mason is on now) but I trust PJ as a very fair poster so have no doubt he said it. While I don't doubt Mason didn't mean to be so offensive (sadly I suspect it wouldn't even register with someone like himself) I cannot think of anyway something like that could be said in jest. A truly appalling subject to joke about.

If a colleague of mine said that i'd urge them to consider their position. Thankfully I cannot imagine any other male presenter being so insensitive, can anyone honestly imagine James Russell being so utterly offensive?

A dismal episode.

No because he has more class

yes we know Helen has a cold and was taking medication for it but, once again, M&M decides to miss the point trying to defend the indefensible
there was absolutely no need to mention anything about using medication to sedate women and keep them quiet
do you not understand the implications here M&M or should I spell it out for you? it NOT a topic to joke about and to do so is tasteless, thoughtless and shows lack of intellgence and decency

There is absolutely no acceptable context whatsoever that such insidious comments can be made in.

Sadly it is not unexpected from this hardnosed, and dare I say vulgar presenter. It was quite simply a breathtakingly inappropriate thing to say, I would say he ought to be ashamed of himself but it would be easy to think shame is not something that figures high in his personal qualities.

Appalling, thankfully it's incredibly unlikely any of the other presenters would say such a ghastly thing. I do hope James hurries back from his leave to add some much needed decorum to evening stints.

Last edited:

I heard it M&M and I think what has surprised most people about it, is that you wouldn't expect a gaffe like this to come from such a consummate
professional. A person who has such command of the English language that one often wonders why he isn't a news reader. Its all in the past now isn't it?

There is absolutely no acceptable context whatsoever that such insidious comments can be made in.

Sadly it is not unexpected from this hardnosed, and dare I say vulgar presenter. It was quite simply a breathtakingly inappropriate thing to say, I would say he ought to be ashamed of himself but it would be easy to think shame is not something that figures high in his personal qualities.

Appalling, thankfully it's incredibly unlikely any of the other presenters would say such a ghastly thing. I do hope James hurries back from his leave to add some much needed decorum to evening stints.

very well put Wirral and I totally agree that there is no acceptable context in which to make a joke about this
funny how M&M spouts off a bit then goes quiet when their defence is undermined.............I just hope he remembers to ask Mike to make that public apology for being so appallingly offensive!

Firstly thanks to the posters who said they trust me, it means more to me than words can say.

M&M it is always a bad sign when once again you try to discredit the person posting rather than sticking to the facts. I have no doubt he didn't mean any harm but that is never a defence especially in broadcasting. This next bit is just my opinion but I believe he wasn't saying oh dear you are not well you need some medication. It was literally just after she had been cheeky to him and I think he meant someone give her that to knock her out to shut her up. It defiantly wasn't for her benefit that I am sure.

I am always honest and try to state when it is just my opinion.

Sometimes I have said something on this forum and it was taken another way and I said sorry as that was the last thing I wanted. I honestly think whether Mike meant it or not he should say sorry. Just like when he called person who pranged your car sorry your friends car a mutant. Nice.

PJ

Firstly thanks to the posters who said they trust me, it means more to me than words can say.

M&M it is always a bad sign when once again you try to discredit the person posting rather than sticking to the facts. I have no doubt he didn't mean any harm but that is never a defence especially in broadcasting. This next bit is just my opinion but I believe he wasn't saying oh dear you are not well you need some medication. It was literally just after she had been cheeky to him and I think he meant someone give her that to knock her out to shut her up. It defiantly wasn't for her benefit that I am sure.

I am always honest and try to state when it is just my opinion.

Sometimes I have said something on this forum and it was taken another way and I said sorry as that was the last thing I wanted. I honestly think whether Mike meant it or not he should say sorry. Just like when he called person who pranged your car sorry your friends car a mutant. Nice.

PJ

You have a valid point here P.J. and you'll see the discussion doesn't support Mike's comments.
It's funny how M&M has shut up now they realise their defence is futile. I think you're right P.J. M&M does seem to attack the person rather than stick to facts; I think this behaviour is what makes them and their argument so weak.........give it up M&M!!
So P.J. I'm with you on this point and so it seems are some others too so don't stop sharing your views :talking::nod:

I know it pains me to say this, but I hope James Russell comes back soon. At least he has some sense of what is right or wrong to say on the television. Mr. Mike Mason seems to have a habit of putting other people down (excuse the pun) as a basis for his 'humour'. It's unwarranted, it's misplaced on a shopping channel and is just demeaning. Mike clearly needs to take a deep look at himself and do something about his loathsome chauvinistic tendencies. :wait:

Latest posts

Back