Lily Beetles

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Autumn

Registered Shopper
Anyone know how to get rid of them, some of our lilies were ruined by them last year and this morning ive found 4 in the soil around where the lilies have started to grow

Unfortunately, there isn't a commercially available pesticide which will see off lily beetles, so you have to be eagle eyed for those bright red beetles, and squash 'em.

When you spot the beetles, you have to be quick at catching them, too, because they drop, upside down, on to the soil and hide.
If attacked, they make a clicking noise which alerts the other lily beetles to a predator and they plummet, too.

I found the best thing to do is to look for the larvae and get rid of those before they become adults. If you turn the lily leaves upside down, you'll often find yellowy-brown lumps of goo. These are the larvae which hide under a mound of their own poo as they grow. [Apologies to anyone eating a meal, here!]

I grab a piece of kitchen towel and run it over the leaves, collecting up the larvae, then dance around squishing them, in the towel, underfoot. My neighbours probably think I'm bonkers.

Unfortunately, there isn't a commercially available pesticide which will see off lily beetles, so you have to be eagle eyed for those bright red beetles, and squash 'em.

When you spot the beetles, you have to be quick at catching them, too, because they drop, upside down, on to the soil and hide.
If attacked, they make a clicking noise which alerts the other lily beetles to a predator and they plummet, too.

I found the best thing to do is to look for the larvae and get rid of those before they become adults. If you turn the lily leaves upside down, you'll often find yellowy-brown lumps of goo. These are the larvae which hide under a mound of their own poo as they grow. [Apologies to anyone eating a meal, here!]

I grab a piece of kitchen towel and run it over the leaves, collecting up the larvae, then dance around squishing them, in the towel, underfoot. My neighbours probably think I'm bonkers.

I have just found another 8 today lol 11 yesterday and a few over the last week, wierdly they only effect the lilies in the front garden, the back garden never gets them

Blimey, Autumn, you do have an infestation!

I've more or less given up on growing lilies, to be honest. Between lily beetles and discovering that the pollen is poisonous to cats, I think there are probably other things more suited to the time and space I've devoted to them.
It's a touch sad, though, because the fragrance is glorious.

Good luck with yours!

Blimey, Autumn, you do have an infestation!

I've more or less given up on growing lilies, to be honest. Between lily beetles and discovering that the pollen is poisonous to cats, I think there are probably other things more suited to the time and space I've devoted to them.
It's a touch sad, though, because the fragrance is glorious.

Good luck with yours!

Yea i have a lovely big barrel with some tree lilies in it and they have always been ok its just the smaller ones at the front, had them for 4 years now so dont wanna lose them just getting annoying having to check them every few hrs .

I use provado ultimate bug killer its very good. its systemic so easier to use you don't need to spray each bug. hopefully you can still get it but if not there should be some sort of replacement. good luck

I use provado ultimate bug killer its very good. its systemic so easier to use you don't need to spray each bug. hopefully you can still get it but if not there should be some sort of replacement. good luck

Weirdly i have that and have sprayed them a few times, it didnt seem to work however today ive checked and there are none so mayb it has worked lol time will tell i guess

I used provado last year and I also remove the adult beetles using a pair of tweezers and a glass. Once I have caught the buggers I kill them by stamping on them. Lillies have survived about 4 years. Currently away on holiday so as soon as I'm back I'll be searching for them.

Weirdly i have that and have sprayed them a few times, it didnt seem to work however today ive checked and there are none so mayb it has worked lol time will tell i guess

you have to spray every now and again so read the instructions. I bought it as a which? best buy many years ago. if I get a few I just pick them off and step in them. but if its really bad I spray as a last reort. my poor mum gets them by the hundred lol

I used provado last year and I also remove the adult beetles using a pair of tweezers and a glass. Once I have caught the buggers I kill them by stamping on them. Lillies have survived about 4 years. Currently away on holiday so as soon as I'm back I'll be searching for them.

you are on a mission ils

you have to spray every now and again so read the instructions. I bought it as a which? best buy many years ago. if I get a few I just pick them off and step in them. but if its really bad I spray as a last reort. my poor mum gets them by the hundred lol

Well so far ive found only one which is great:clapping:

Oh dont say they like clematis aswell :sad:

it looks ok maybe decided to squat on my clematis for a while. I watch them constantly a dry paintbrush in one hand an old teacup in the other flick it in teacup and then squash. only spay if I am going on holiday or my mums lillies

it looks ok maybe decided to squat on my clematis for a while. I watch them constantly a dry paintbrush in one hand an old teacup in the other flick it in teacup and then squash. only spay if I am going on holiday or my mums lillies
We all have our techniques! I have the tweezers as sometimes I mistime the flick into the glass and have to use them to pick the bugger up before it manages to hide. Tweezers are also good to squash them. I also wear my spectacles as I need the extra magnification to spot the beetles as well. I usually only find about 10 over the week or so that I spend on the lily beetle watch but I am on watch every couple of hours (in the day).

Latest posts

Back