"How do the buyers do it?"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bensmum

Registered Shopper
Dale and the diamond expert have just been cooing over the TSV diamond ring. They've no idea how the buyers have secured such a truly amazing price.

I have. It's because not only is the gold band hollow, but the 'diamonds' must be the size of a pin head. There are 93 diamonds - a quarter of a carat in total. I'm lucky enough to have a full carat solitaire and its not very big. If I chopped it into four and then chopped one quarter of it into 93 pieces, that's what you get.

I bet they sweep up bigger ones from under the diamond cutter's bench.

How do the buyers do it is the usual spiel, it is supposed to reel us into believing that we are getting an unrepeatable bargain, got to say it worked on me for a good many years, until I discovered E-bay and Amazon....

I am becoming really fed up with Q they seem to have lost the plot completely. They need to remembered we are not as gullible as they seem to think. They are conning people into believing they are getting a fabulous Diamond ring when in fact they are getting a ring with diamonds smaller than grains of sugar and as someone else said they are probably the sweeping up from the work room. Come on QVC tell the truth for a change and bring us goods that are worth the asking price. We are in a recession in this country and i am sure it has affected most of us in some way.

I think its pretty safe to say the majority of the members of this forum are fed up with Q atm,there pricing is ridiculous and so are many of there products, which why it fascinates me when often theses over priced items sell out, clearly there must be a hell of alot of viewers that have more money and than sense and sadly for us while these viewers are still buying, why would QVC stop. There a business after all and are out to make as much money as possible even if it means alienating some viewers. Until people stop ordering Q will never change :down:

I am becoming really fed up with Q they seem to have lost the plot completely. They need to remembered we are not as gullible as they seem to think. They are conning people into believing they are getting a fabulous Diamond ring when in fact they are getting a ring with diamonds smaller than grains of sugar and as someone else said they are probably the sweeping up from the work room. Come on QVC tell the truth for a change and bring us goods that are worth the asking price. We are in a recession in this country and i am sure it has affected most of us in some way.

People are gullible though, clearly. Sizes have sold out already. I think the problem is that it looks good on the TV screen, like you see in very upmarket jewellers with a 2 in front of that price, so they think its going to be the same. If something seems too good to be true then it usually is.

I get the impression QVC are trying out the market, see if there are any takers on the old style of buying expensive jewellery, though as I'm watching this morning, it really has a feel of other jewellery channels selling tactics. It's crazy though, people are wiser to gems and gold et al than they ever were but they are still pushing.

"Why do the buyers do it?" is the question I ask in relation to the 'fashion' items they offer!

I heard Dale say that these are certified SI diamonds and he would need a magnifying glass to see the inclusions. Didn't he mean he'd need a magnifying glass to see the diamonds?

Just heard Claire ask Guy Clutterbuck if she could check his pockets for gems! He look very pleased and agreed swiftly.

Dale and the diamond expert have just been cooing over the TSV diamond ring. They've no idea how the buyers have secured such a truly amazing price.

I have. It's because not only is the gold band hollow, but the 'diamonds' must be the size of a pin head. There are 93 diamonds - a quarter of a carat in total. I'm lucky enough to have a full carat solitaire and its not very big. If I chopped it into four and then chopped one quarter of it into 93 pieces, that's what you get.

I bet they sweep up bigger ones from under the diamond cutter's bench.
I agree with you. I stayed up to see the QVC, thinking that they would be presenting something really nice, seeing it as their 20th year and it was the opening of the gem day. My jaw just dropped with surprise to see such poor choice!! All I could see was a white ring, I was looking for the diamonds, I .of course knew that .25 carat was not big as a single stone, but imagine them slicing that .25 into those baguettes (maybe the price is for the art of slicing them without smashing them to dust!! ) and for the others, all I could see were claws.
Paying £304. 81 for a single 0.25 carat diamond is too much, so how can they justify this price for these chippings?
They are insulting the viewers and there are some poor misguided viewers out there to be fooled by the presenters..........makes me feel angry:angry:
Why haven't the buyers used the QVC's buying power to bring their customers a good bargain? This was an opportunity for them to impress people and to get more new customers.
I for one don't believe Dale anyway, so it was no buy from the start for me.

apart from the miserly diamond content, it just wasn't a stylish design, it looked like a £15 fashion jewellery ring from Next or M&S.

I heard Dale say that these are certified SI diamonds and he would need a magnifying glass to see the inclusions. Didn't he mean he'd need a magnifying glass to see the diamonds?

Just heard Claire ask Guy Clutterbuck if she could check his pockets for gems! He look very pleased and agreed swiftly.

I can see them from here - a pair of cabouchons and a rather sturdy baguette.

Just want to add that I thought Guy Clutterbuck didn't pull his weight yesterday. He had nothing interesting to say and when they big him up as an adventurer and gem hunter I would expect him to be a mine(!) of information. In one show, Charlie was raving about the new landscape opal ring and asked Guy what he could tell us about it. All he managed was that he liked the ring and eventually mumbled that he had something to say about rubellite! Charlie said that would be later and carried smoothly on. All a bit strange I thought. Had he been enjoying too much hospitality perhaps?

I know a bit about stones my cousin is a trader / dealer in Canada and I do some work for him now and then I didnt see the show but from the description these stones are what are known as brilliants and in money terms they are next to worthless Around 3 years ago 1 Carat of brilliants was approx £100 thats retail price they are just odds and ends taken from the cutting bench and quickly and roughly faced up (cut) on one or two sides to give them a small sheen as for claiming they are graded SI what a load of c**p no diamond cutter on the planet would waste his time cutting hundreds of tiny fragments to have them graded when each one is worth only pennys and he would have to pay for each one to be certified and a SI grading is only one grade above the bottom of the grade scale I think QVC are exagerating

Latest posts

Back